Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Adding two (2) SATA drives to a computer

by jmfresq / March 20, 2006 3:56 AM PST

Has anyone had a problem adding two (2) SATA Drives to a computer and getting Windows XP to recognise both? I have added a 250 GB Maxtor and a 200 GB Maxtor to my computer. I am using an ASUS P4S800D-X Motherboard, with 1 gig of memory, 3.06 Intel Cpu, also have an IDE Maxtor 120 GB hard drive, plus a DVD reader and DVD burner. OS is Windows XP Professional.

I have tried to setup the drives as individual but Windows only sees the 250 GB as disk 'C' and the 120 GB as disk 'D', with the DVD Rom and Burner as 'E' & 'F'.

When I installed the 250 GB drive I had to press F6 to load the RAID drivers during the Windows install, then I was able to load the OS onto that drive. Everything went ok until I went to check on the drives and only saw the 250 GB drive and the 120 GB drive.

When the computer boots up BIOS shows the 250 GB as the Primary Master and the 200 GB as the Secondary Master, but Windows only sees the 250 GB drive.

My intention was to use the 250 GB drive as my boot drive and the 200 GB drive as an additional storage drive. However, I have not been able to set it up this way.

I am at wits end as I did not want to use two drives as mirrors to each other and somehow I think that is what RAID does. To me at this point having two SATA drives on a system is pointless. I would have been better off to have the one (1) SATA drive and added another IDE drive.

Does anyone have any workaround for this problem. Thanks to all in advance for your comments/suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adding two (2) SATA drives to a computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adding two (2) SATA drives to a computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No workaround.
by chuckieu / March 20, 2006 4:21 AM PST

You installed as raid. Which means there is only one HDD with 2 parts. You have to redo install and DON'T load raid drivers. Personnaly, I would use 120G Pata drive as
"C" drive with 2 Sata storage drives (D and E). But thats just me. chuck

Collapse -
No workaround
by jmfresq / March 20, 2006 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: No workaround.

Tahnks Chuck, I should have thougt of that myself. I will redo my machine tonight. Just one question once I install on the 120, the SATA's will have to be reformatted, correct, and I should do them one at time?

Collapse -
Not chuck but IMHO
by Ray Harinec / March 20, 2006 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: No workaround

simply let the normal install reformat them [one drive by itself] them = partitions.

Just format the boot partition, leave the others raw and then set them up from within XP.

Collapse -
Think that chuckieu
by Ray Harinec / March 20, 2006 4:51 AM PST

has correct idea. Many new mobo's use the RAID controller for SATA, but the BIOS settings are very confusing in some. The raid controller can be set in the BIOS to be only separate drives, but takes close reading. The terminology can be pidgen english LOL

Re the F6 for SCSI drivers, that is also used for SATA drivers, good ole MS just doesn't mention that. However the mobo manual should have told you to create a floppy disk with the SATA drivers [assuming you don't want RAID] and to hit F6 and when later asked put the floppy in to install RAID drivers. Might have been easier if you did them one at a time.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?