Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

adding second access point to mixed wired/wireless network

by DrSplatt / September 8, 2006 12:01 PM PDT

I would like advice/help on whether I can add a second access point to my home network, and if so how to configure it.

My home network consists of 5 desktop and laptop computers, a couple of printers and a network hard drive connected through a mix of ethernet and wireless connection.

My router is the D-Link DGL-4300 which seems to handle the traffic quite nicely, however the wireless range does not extend to my porch. To fix this problem I just added a pair of SMC powerline to ethernet adapters. That seems to be working very nicely as well, but what I would really like is to add wireless access in the vicinity of my porch. It seems I can do this by adding a wireless access point such as the D-Link DWL-G700AP, but I'm not sure whether I have to be concerned with configuring it to be compatible with the router, since their signals are likely to overlap in the center of the house.

My wireless network is currently protected with WPA-PSK encryption, MAC address filtering and non-broadcast mode operation.

So I have several questions (and there may be other things I need to know I haven't thought of:

1) Can I do this (add a second access point the way I described)?
2) If so, do I force the second access point to operate on a different channel (to avoid interference??)?
3) Do I use a different key for the second access point?
4) What else should I know?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: adding second access point to mixed wired/wireless network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: adding second access point to mixed wired/wireless network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sounds good
by linkit / September 9, 2006 2:46 PM PDT

1. Yes.

2. Operate on same or different channel? Either one will work. If you experience troubles, change the channel. Simple, huh?

3. Use a different key? Doesn't matter. Up to you.

4. If you read the instructions for any WAP, you will see that you are not doing anything radical. The only thing that is a little different is that you will be connecting the WAP to the router with a powerline adapter setup instead of the more common network cable.

Collapse -
success using router as a second wireless AP
by DrSplatt / September 15, 2006 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: sounds good

Thanks much for your help.

I realized after your reply, that I might be able to use my Linksys router (WRT54G) that I had lying around as an access point. I got help from Linksys setting it up as an AP and I'm in business. I've even got all the security settings turned on (WPA-PSK, unique SSID, non-broadcast mode, and MAC filtering. Haven't check the range yet.

I'm happy now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?