Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

adding RAM to a Gateway GT5432

by 19jeff65 / September 27, 2010 5:36 AM PDT

I received a Crucial 2GB Kit to upgrade the memory in an old Gateway GT5432. I've installed the 2 new modules in the 2 slots the original two modules occupied for 1G, and that works fine. There are two more slots available, but when I insert the 2 original modules to try and increase the memory to a 3G total (2G Crucial upgrade and !G original memory)the machine will not boot. The unit will display a Gateway screen with an F2 or F10 option for BIOS or "something", but neither key will advance the process and ignoring the keys does not advance off the screen either.

I guess I'm trying to find out if/how I can utilize the original 1G of memory on this machine. I've tried all four modules in either set of slots to no avail.

Thanks,
J

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: adding RAM to a Gateway GT5432
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: adding RAM to a Gateway GT5432
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you've placed the DIMMs in the right slots and there is
by VAPCMD / September 27, 2010 9:12 AM PDT

a right way to place the DIMMs for optimal performance and it doesn't work, you're stuck.

Check your system manual. If you get the 2-1GB DIMMs working in say channel "A" ... you should be able to see 'Dual Channel' or 128bit Memory Operation during bootup. Once you get your system running in the dual channel mode...then add the other pair of 512MB DIMMs. If it doesn't work ...then it doesn't work and you'll have to remove that and accept the limitation. That's why I always recommend getting all the RAM you expect to install when you buy the system as adding RAM later can be tricky.

Let us know how it turns out.

VAPCMD

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Hints...
by Willy / September 28, 2010 1:29 AM PDT

What might be happening, is the proper slots need to be used as in the matching pairs(banks). If this has been done, then check the manual or visit the support website for the true amount of ram supported. Verify to clean the slots of any dust, wipe them down with alcohol(brushed) for all contacts and allow to dry. I mention this as the current PC *MAY* only support 2gbs installed, total. A possible solution if you never bios updated and this is an old PC, right??? By updating the bios, *MAY* allow better handling of ram or more of it, provided it addresses this issue. Crucial may have suggested greater than 2gbs installed but of course it can only suggest this if the PC is at its best and also as an "generic suggestion" per mtrbd. chipset used. Gateway, upon using the bios area, should affix the issue if ram can be reset. I don't have that in front me, so its up to you what gets displayed and *SAVE* any changed setting before exiting bios. However, this also reflects on the current bios status, thus it must have the latest bios update installed. If you need to bios update, review the process carefully and proceed. Last, because all slots are being used and an old PSU, there *MAYBE* a need to tweek the ram voltage abit to better handle all installed. Don't do this unless the bios allows it, Gateway could very well not have this as an option, a voltage tweek setting. If it does, tweek it by .01(MAX .03 change), save then exit and retry. Do only this as last resort if capable.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=GT5432

Review the Q&A they provide.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
GT5432 memory
by wb2001 / September 28, 2010 3:21 AM PDT

The Your GT5432 will handle 4 gig of RAM, PC2 (4200) 533Mhz. You can not mix memory speeds. Are all 4 modules the same speed? If you go to Gateway's site, you can enter you CPU's serial number. It will give you vital information on your system. You maybe able to use Gateway's Tech support. Remember times are tough, and most manufacturer's do not want to offend a customer base.

What is puzzling is:
(1) Factory system auto detects 1 gig and it boots.
(2) Installation of 2 gig boots. That means the BIOS auto-detected.
(3) Install of all modules, no boot. And you said you could not enter the BIOS or something (your words).
Sometimes you have to press the key "repeatedly".

Willys' advise was excellent.
(1) Add the 1 gig set, and enter the BIOS. Is it detected now, as 3GB total? If it's detected, you need to SAVE the change.
(2) Updating your BIOS is also good, but you have to follow the directions very carefully. It can be gut wretching.

BTW... It maybe a simple as you need (4) 1 GB modules. It may require all modules to be the same when using 4 slots. Gateway is the most difficult website to seek indepth info unless you have the serial number. I was unable to research it. HP offers the most resources, and freely.

Collapse -
THANX Everybody!
by 19jeff65 / September 28, 2010 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: GT5432 memory

apparently, a little more patience was needed on my end.
After attempting all your suggestions that I was able to do - I was in the midst of plugging in the modules (I had three (2.5G) installed)when shifting the tower - I accidently turned the machine on. I got sidetracked for a time and returned to find the machine booted and showed 2.5G. I plugged in the last module, restarted and BINGO - 3G. I'm still not sure why, but hey - better luck than good! Thanks again all!
J

Collapse -
Just one recommendation...you should never install or
by VAPCMD / September 28, 2010 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: THANX Everybody!

remove computer peripherals ...esp CPU or RAM when the computer is plugged in. Even when the PC is turned off ... it still has power coming to it unless it's unplugged or switched off at the power supply..and not many PCs have an 'off switch' on the power supply.

Thanks for the feedback...it's always good to know how these requests for help turn out.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?