PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Adding RAM

OK here we go. I have a machine that has 512MB of PC2100 RAM in it. I have gotten some messages form the computer that say that there was a problem with the RAM. I didn't do a test, (very complicated). But the system has been running fine since. However, I installed some new software and when the program booted it said that I only has 256 RAM. Advised me to upgrade... I rebooted the whole system and the RAM showed again. First I would like to know if this is a sign that one of the sticks of RAM is bad? Second, if I add more RAM since it's PC2100 I have to add the same RAM right? I read some of the other posts and they say that they don't have to be the same speed, but the system will be restricted to the slower RAM. Also what about Latency, Voltage, and CCS? These are some o the things that I have seen that I dentify RAM. Is this going to make a difference when I purchase the RAM.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adding RAM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adding RAM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Memory

In reply to: Adding RAM

take the ram out and clean the terminals with a soft rubber and wipe with a clean cloth.
You haven't said what the "new software" is called? - is it Sandra? I use "Dr Hardware" from http://www.drhardware.com - Its free to try so get a second opinion. With both the above programs it can be confusing because you have to select at the top of the screen the memory stick to query, the data output usually shows up in the centre of the screen - thus one can think its only found one stick - therefore you have to manually select. A word of warning, these type of programs are not 100% accurate and have trouble even reading some hardware. So get that second opinion. If I were you I would solve this issue first before buying more.
Regards,
Peter

Collapse -
OK That answers some of my question.

In reply to: Memory

I really don't have a problem with the amount of memory that I have now. I just want more. The crashes are a concern. I was told by someone else that i should re-seat the ram. What about all the advanced specs. Voltage and all. Should I be concerned or can I just put a stick of 512mbPC2100 ram in and be done with it. I would like to go up some I think that 768 would be a good amount.

Collapse -
(NT) STAR WARS GALAXIES game.

In reply to: OK That answers some of my question.

Collapse -
Hopefully some one else will see this post!!!!!!!!

In reply to: OK That answers some of my question.

I am not up on the compatibility of RAM types - but it's safe for me to say you just cant buy any old type and stick it in - it has to be compatible with the existing ram and your system. Your mobo manual should have a spec.
As for 512Mb - I have the same and find it more than enough - I usually only use 50% of that as well. But if you run big games maybe more will help - but video ram is just important in that case.
Here is a bit of extra reading if no one else comes to our aid:-
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=RNWE,RNWE:2004-28,RNWE:en&q=RAM+compatibility&spell=1
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=RNWE,RNWE:2004-28,RNWE:en&q=RAM+compatability

Peter

Collapse -
OK I really wanted to know how specific I needed to be!

In reply to: Hopefully some one else will see this post!!!!!!!!

I wasn't sure if the voltage would make a difference If the voltage on the MOBO is higher/lower than what the RAM is rated at wil it. Be a problem. Then theres the old ACRONYM FOR NO REASON, i.e. CCS ADX pqrt... who knows. I know that computers are complex machines but doesn't anyone but me think that it would be a good idea to consolidatevoltages and make it all compatible. I know the working terms heres is 'propreitary' Geez.

Collapse -
Adding Memory (jumping in)

In reply to: Hopefully some one else will see this post!!!!!!!!

First as Aussie suggested clean and re-seat your ram.
You need to know first why your system is giving you memory errors. Dirt or a bad memory chip.

the following will narrow your search a bit. Tho I have found reading many different explainations about memory to be helpful.

http://www.dewassoc.com/performance/index.html

Memroy timing see
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/ram/timing.htm

Look to your M/B manual for supported memory or go to Kingston and have them scan your system for compatable memory.

So far you've had good questions but without futher study confusion will reign. After your research narrow your questions down to "is this corrrect" (numbered)

Bill

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks Bill!

In reply to: Adding Memory (jumping in)

Collapse -
(NT) Welcome

In reply to: Thanks Bill!

Collapse -
The MOBO book is pretty pathetic.

In reply to: Adding Memory (jumping in)

It's an ASRock. The book has a few diagrams (what the jumper settings should be for different speeds and where everything is) but for the most part I haven't seen any relevent info. I may not know where to look. I shouldn't complain about the board. It's come back from the dead a couple of times. Thanks for the help. Will repost(?) when I do some reading and some testing. Thanks.

One other thing...If I do buy a stick of 512 mb PC2100 will the voltages matter. Should I look into this further.

Collapse -
Rjonsolo try this

In reply to: The MOBO book is pretty pathetic.

go to www.crucial.com and enter the data in the memory search; they list the AsRock so you should be able to find the correct ram and detail as to what you can use and how much etc.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.