Question

adding new boot drive

I had built my computer with a WD 640 Black as my boot drive. I decided I wanted to add a VelociRaptor 300 as my boot drive. I had the 640 Black partitioned in three even splits. I added the VR300 and ran the Acronis True Image program and did the clone disk. I let it do the auto thing and even though the "C" partition at 79gb on it and one partition had 121gb on it and one had only 5gb on it and this was less then 300gb. So I did not think then it would matter that I was cloning a larger drive to a smaller drive. It cloned it and then I went in and reformated the 121gb part as I did not need that data cloned, just the operating system. Now how do I get the system to boot off the new drive? I still want to use the 640 Black and so I will remove the OP from it when I get this to work. I tried just having only the new drive plugged in and got a NTRDL is missing. So I plugged them all back in and it would not boot at all. So I left the new one unplugged and it boots up like normal. But if I plug the new one in now it won't boot and I get the same error. At first it would not try and boot off the new one. Now if it is plugged in it tries and gets the error. I can't even boot up to reformat the new drive. What the heck have I done? What should I do now?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: adding new boot drive
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: adding new boot drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Acronis

I would have avoid Acronis altogether. All this partitioning and more seems to have ended badly. What I learned years ago is to learn the native tools, use simpler setups so repairs could be done without calling Acronis.

If I had to deal with this I would install just the new drive, clean it off by booting my XP/other CD and installing the OS and drivers. Then I'd add the old drive and recover my stuff.
Bob

- Collapse -
Adding new boot drive, the end of the story

The Win 7 save image, restore image did not work either. Can't understand as my computer is no different then anyone elses. I ended up just backing up my other "C" hard drive and then totally re-installing the OS on the WDVR like you said. Did all the updates and did the backup restore and it works. I want to first say I am a loyal WD user. I have nothing but on 4 systems. Not sure what is on my wife's laptop. None have ever failed me. But the reason I was adding the Velociraptor drive was to increase my Windows Experience rating, like it was going to matter. My processor was at 7.3. My memory was at 7.5. My graphics was at 7.6+7.6. But my harddrive was only at 5.9. That was the WD 640 Black. Well the Velociraptor is at 5.9 also. So all that and I did not improve a bit. So now my plan is to pull it back out and go back to my 640 Black and put this one in my kids which has a 5.4 rating on his harddrive. Like I said I like WD and still will continue to build WD. But this was a little disheartening.

- Collapse -
I can explain that.

The "media speed" of the drives is at or about SATA 1.x speeds. While a few per cent points can be gained by going to 3.0 and 6.0 Gb speeds the "media speed" appears to be unchanged. "Linear transfer rates" seem to be governed by this too.

More RPMs help a little but not the media speed as it gets the needed sectors under the heads faster. I'm sure there is a paper/web page about this but the lesson is expensive as you figure out that windows scores are not a good measure of a machine and could have folk chasing rainbows (or other things.)

Hope this helps,
Bob

- Collapse -
Probably would have worked had you just cloned the boot

partition ...after successfully creating the boot partition...then manually create the other partitions and copy the applicable data to them.

VAPCMD

CNET Forums