Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Adding mspaint to the right-click New menu

by jonieto / December 24, 2008 6:15 AM PST

Hello,
In the desktop when I right-click mspaint does not appear among the many programs to choose to open.
How can I change that? (registry?,,How? )
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adding mspaint to the right-click New menu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adding mspaint to the right-click New menu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Easily done by opening REGEDIT then ..
by Edward ODaniel / December 25, 2008 10:33 AM PST

HKEY_Classes_Root

Scroll down to the .bmp key and right click on it and select New then Key

Name the new key under the .bmp ShellNew

Click once on this newly created key then in the resulting right hand window right click and create a new String Value and name it NullFile

Right click on the desktop and you should now have MsPaint as an option under New.

By the way, if you want to trim the New list a bit all you have to do is locate the apprepriate file extension and where you find the ShellNew key simply rename it -ShellNew which removes it from the list but allows you to easily enable it shoulod you want it at a later time.

Collapse -
Windows XP: Adding mspaint to the right-click New menu
by jonieto / December 25, 2008 7:12 PM PST

In the .bmp folder(key) there was yet a ShellNew folder with no NullFile so I created it. No result.
So I deleted that existing ShellNew folder and created a new one with a NullFile again, with no result.
As there was a lot of programs in my Right click/New submenu I thought maybe it's full, so let's delete some. I did as you told, and it worked (thanks by the way it's easy and great).
But mspaint.exe still not there.
I even restarted my PC.

Here is some info:

.bmp folder
OpenWithList
MSPaint.exe
ois.exe
PictureViewer.exe
OpenWithProgids
PersistentHandler
ShellNew

Above is the .bmp folder (key) tree structure. They are all folders. None as a NullFile, but the one I've created in ShellNew.
(I created a NullFile in the MSPaint.exe folder, deleting the one in the ShellNew folder, no result.)

Collapse -
i'm almost certain that adding nullfile
by jonah jones / December 25, 2008 9:01 PM PST

adds a blank "bitmap image" to the menu
(the same way that "wordpad document"
adds a blank *.doc to the desktop)

and i may be wrong, but are sure 'right click -->new'
lists programs or file types?

mine has:
briefcase
bitmap image
wordpad document
winrar archive
rich text document
text document
winzip file

Collapse -
NullFile must be in the ShellNew key ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 26, 2008 5:06 AM PST

and I can't understand your problem as this works to add the item to the New context menu whether for the Desktop or within Windows Explorer.

Sometimes AFTER creating the ShellNew key you may have to either refresh your File manager app (Windows Explorer or My Computer are native while a few others such as PowerDesk Pro are after market file applications) before the newly added item shows up on the context menu.

Collapse -
.bmp tree structure
by jonieto / December 25, 2008 8:16 PM PST

Above the .bmp folder (key) tree structure did not display up properly.
So let's try again Happy (in case it do not display correctly: the OpenWithList folder as 3 subfolders: MSPaint.exe, ois.exe, and PictureViewer.exe

>>OpenWithList
>>>>MSPaint.exe
>>>>ois.exe
>>>>PictureViewer.exe

>>OpenWithProgids
>>PersistentHandler
>>ShellNew

Collapse -
That's it.....closed ::)))
by jonieto / December 26, 2008 7:04 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) glad you solved the problem :-)
by jonah jones / December 26, 2008 7:09 PM PST
Collapse -
I have this problem, too...
by kait89 / July 11, 2009 2:40 AM PDT

This isn't working for me--what should I do if there already is a 'ShellNew' key and 'NullFile' value? MsPaint was on the list yesterday; it disappeared today. Can anyone help?

Collapse -
if i understood you correctly
by jonah jones / December 25, 2008 7:33 PM PST

you mean a shortcut to open Mspaint?

right click the desktop
new
shortcut
in the location box type (or copy and paste)
%SystemRoot%\system32\mspaint.exe
name it

click OK

on the desktop you now have a clickable shortcut to Paint

hope this help

jonah

Collapse -
no you don't (check above)
by jonieto / December 25, 2008 7:56 PM PST

No I don't mean a shortcut.
I mean when you are on your desktop, you right-click/New. And there, in that submenu, where there are many programs to open I want to include mspaint.exe
Thanks anyway

Collapse -
ah so
by jonah jones / December 25, 2008 8:48 PM PST

the key you want is (according to my XP)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Discardable\PostSetup\ShellNew

although, with my limited knowledge,
i would advise great caution changing
a part of XP installed at set-up

jonah

Collapse -
..so..
by jonieto / December 25, 2008 9:21 PM PST
In reply to: ah so

me too, I've limited knowledge Happy
So what I do there?

(by the way, by creating a restore point do you back up the registry?)

Collapse -
try this
by Dango517 / December 25, 2008 8:54 PM PST

choose start > all programs > accessories > right click on paint, choose copy, click it. Now close this part. Go to your desk top > right click it, in an open area on the desk top> choose paste.

viola!

Collapse -
no good viola!
by jonieto / December 25, 2008 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: try this

Because in fact I use this right click not only on the desktop but much of the time when I open a new folder anywhere AND IN IT I want to create a new mspaint file

Collapse -
then you missed something in Ed O daniels post
by jonah jones / December 25, 2008 11:59 PM PST
In reply to: no good viola!

To Add an Item in "New" menu:

When you right-click on your desktop, there is a New submenu that contains a list of templates. A template is visible if the related entry in the [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT] hive associated with a file extension has a sub-key called ShellNew.

Open regedit and expand "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" key.

Now look for the file type which you want to add in "New" menu, e.g. bmp

Right-click on it and select "New -> Key" and give it name "ShellNew".

In right-side pane, right-click and select "New -> String Value". Give it name "NullFile" and press Enter.

Collapse -
I think I see the problem.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 26, 2008 3:39 AM PST

But I'm not sure I have a solution.

In jonieto's first post he said that on the Desktop when he right clicks, MSPAINT does not appear among the many programs to choose to open.

Now, when I right click any empty space on the Desktop, there are no "Open" or "Open with" options. That's because I am not attempting to open any file.

However, if I have an image file on my Desktop, eg a .bmp Bitmap file, if I right click that, then there is an option to "Open with >", and then I can choose MSPAINT from the selection of programs.

jonieto, is it that options list that you are talking about, and if so, does MSPAINT appear in the list when you right click a image file?

If not, can you please be more specific on what you are attempting to do.

Mark

Collapse -
I have the solution for you
by PudgyOne / December 26, 2008 4:22 AM PST

Try this. I tried it and got it to work.

Start, run, accessories, and right click on paint and then left click copy.

Right click start, left click explore. Left click tools, folders options, vied and tell it to show hidden files and folders. Click apply, ok.

Now locate the send to folder and click on it. Now in the right pane, right click, then left click paste shortcut. You now have the ability to send to paint. You can do this with other programs, too.

Remember to go back and hide your hidden files and folders.

Rick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.