Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

adding memory--what to consider??

by ms_kay / April 8, 2004 9:49 AM PDT

Salutations all. I do hope someone can offer some advice. I'm in the process of upgrading an old computer. I know that my processor speed is 350MHz, Now that I have turned in the direction of wanting to increase my memory from 64MB to 128MB, I'm confused about determining compatibility. I've seen references with regards to bus speed. Is the processor speed and bus speed one and the same? If not, how can I determine what my bus speed is, and what considerations do I need to take into account before purchasing additional memory? Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: adding memory--what to consider??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: adding memory--what to consider??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Really the only consideration....
by Michael Geist / April 8, 2004 10:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Really the only consideration....
by ms_kay / April 8, 2004 10:23 AM PDT

Thanks for your suggestion Michael. The computer is a Pentium II-a clone, a hodge-podge of parts you might say, ;-)but it works. I do know that it has a 3yr old Asus motherboard in it, whether that will help me or not. Any other suggestions on how I can determine compatibility?

Collapse -
Time to take a peek....
by Michael Geist / April 8, 2004 10:33 AM PDT

at the innards of the computer. Look for the model number on the motherboard, should be fairly obvious. Then a look on the makers website will yield the motherboard manual and from that can be had the compatible RAM.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Really the only consideration..../You're almost there
by Steven Haninger / April 8, 2004 10:39 AM PDT

Crucial sells memory for motherboards as well and probably has your board listed if you can find the model on it. Open the case and search with a flashlight if you need to. Since it's a Pentium II, your ASUS board will start with P2 and may be a P2B, P2E-B or some such. It probably uses PC100 RAM. Anyway, I would scrap the 64 meg module as a potential imcompatiblity problem and just get one new 128 meg or two 64 meg modules. The later choice allows you some testing flexibility if you run into problems and suspect a memory problem as you can switch them around or just run on one module if something happens to the other. Good luck.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Really the only consideration..../You're almost there
by ms_kay / April 8, 2004 11:10 AM PDT

Okay, a wee peek I did. I couldn't read it, so I took a picture, downloaded and magnafied it, and came up with this: ASUS P38-F could be a P though. But, with your help I now have a place to start. Thank you both. And now I guess the hunt begins. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Message has been deleted.
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 8, 2004 11:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Ms Kay, It's Probably P3B-F....B not 8...And
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 8, 2004 11:46 AM PDT

Here's a link to the Crucial page about that particular motherboard:

ASUS P3B-F AT Crucial.com

It indicates that you can install up to a max of "Max Unbuffered SDR SDRAM: 1024MB", but that is certainly your choice. Since it appears to support only PC 66 and PC100 memory, I don't think I'd choose any of PC133 sticks mentioned, but there are a couple of selections for a 256 MB or 128 MB sticks of non-parity PC100 available. (In order to verify that your comp needs non-parity, you should check the current stick of memory and compare it to the link below by counting the number of black chips on the module.)

Non-parity vs Parity
http://www.crucial.com/crucial/pvtcontent/memorytype.asp?model=P3B%2DF&memtype=ECC_VS_PARITY

Hope this helps, too.

Grif

Collapse -
One more look

You mentioned your MB as an ASUS Pentium II. By definition this would be the P2 series and not the P3 as Grif offers. So, if the board is a P3, you should have a Pentium III processor. I believe these ran from about 450mhz and up. Anyway, the Crucial RAM for both should be the same but I would double check that. Most P2 processors were on vertical mounts on the motherboard as opposed to being flat on the board. Some P-IIIs were the same so there is no real way to be sure by sight. These were called "Slot 1" BTW. Another venture you might try if so inclined once you've made a positive ID on the board is to go to the ASUS web site and download the owners manual for it. Happy hunting.

Collapse -
Good Point, The Model Number Needs To Be Correct !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 9, 2004 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: One more look

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?