PC Hardware forum

General discussion

adding hardware

Hi; I have old sys. upgrade. Want add subwoofer. Run '98. Where are the ports?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: adding hardware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: adding hardware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hows bout what system do u have?

In reply to: adding hardware

suggest buying a sound card that has the avialable port.

Collapse -
pc hardware

In reply to: hows bout what system do u have?

I run win 98....replaced hard drive...added ram... it's a mutant but am diabled/broke and neophite. Thx for reply.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) buy a new pci sound card

Collapse -
pc hardware

In reply to: (NT) buy a new pci sound card

I have wires,wires,wires... am beat,can't get surround/sub connected. Love classical. Anxious to try new toys. Thx for reply.

Collapse -
If you have a line out port

on your sound card, simply buy a powered set that includes a subwoofer. The amplifier/filters in the set will sort out what goes to the subwoofer and what goes to the tweeters.

Realize,that if the sound card et al doesn't have good low frequency capability you may not get much legitimate bass.

You can buy a CD that will run a frequency response test of your sytem. With an old model sound card you will be disappointed with the lack of real bass.

Collapse -
hardware

In reply to: If you have a line out port

My problem is purely physical... recently got big box sub and Cambridge surround...where does everything plug in? Thx for reply.

Collapse -
We need much more info on your PC,

In reply to: hardware

your sound card, which may not fully support surround, the exact model Cambridge set, and your budget.

The very old sound cards didn't even have any decent frequency response for classical music.

Collapse -
pc hardware

In reply to: We need much more info on your PC,

Hi: Thx for reply.Cambridge FourPointSurround FPS 2000 digital. $ nearly zero but can save.

Collapse -
trying to help..

In reply to: hardware

Eli,

All those speaker wires should plug into some pre-amp. Either the sub or a separate amp. Check your Cambridge documentation. The primary wires (there should be three color coded) from the sub/pre-amp go to a sound card or the motherboard for onboard sound. You must have the proper setup for surround sound. The SoundBlaster Audigy family is the industry standard for sound in a PCI card. And I love good classical music too.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
pc hardware

In reply to: trying to help..

Hi: Thx for reply Jack. I don't have paper for this surround it was a gift. I know I need sound card, also Hub. How do I know this mutant pc has capacity?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!