Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Adding Hard Drive to PowerMac G5

by gjmschuster / April 8, 2006 8:10 PM PDT

Does anybody know of a website that has an article on how to add a hard drive to a G5? I don't know anything about upgrading but don't want to pay anybody because I don't immagine it being to complicated. Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adding Hard Drive to PowerMac G5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adding Hard Drive to PowerMac G5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A G5 what?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 12:01 AM PDT

If it is a G5 iMac, forget it.
On the other hand, installing another HD into a PM G5 is something that Apple has deemed as a "user upgrade" and as such, have posted information on their website as to how to do it.

You did look at the Apple site? Of course not. You expected others to do your research for you.

OK, because I'm in a good mood and your Google search engine is broken, I decided to take 5 seconds out of my busy Sunday, go to the Apple site, Support, enter "adding HD" in the search box and coming up with this:

See, it's not that difficult, is it?

Collapse -
added hard drive to powermac dual 2ghz g5
by apriljanna / April 25, 2006 12:06 AM PDT

I added another 300 gig to my dual processor 2ghz powermac g5. It took less than 5 minutes! Google search it, and you will find a couple of good web sites that will walk you through the process with pictures.
MAKE SURE YOU GET A SERIAL ATA (ie. SATA) drive. There's four black screws in the case by the hard drive bay. Unscrew them from the case, and screw them into the new drive. Slide the drive into the case, and connect the two small cables into the drive. Fold down the two grey levers to keep the drive from sliding around. You're done!

Collapse -
It's nice to see
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 25, 2006 2:37 AM PDT

that someone knows how to use Google and not rely on someone else to do the work for them.

Glad it worked out for you.

Collapse -
by gjmschuster / April 29, 2006 6:51 PM PDT
In reply to: It's nice to see

thanks everybody for the info...I didn't mean to waste anybodys time. I actually did google it but must have not used the right keywords or something because the three sites I looked at didn't point me in the right direction. I was not aware that apples site had info on upgrading things yourself. I do try to research before posting but if you get frustrated by my posts don't bother posting back...I won't be offended. Help the others...I will eventually figure it out

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 29, 2006 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: sorry...

It's not that anyone gets frustrated by your posts, just that the your first post did not give any indication that you had actually looked anywhere for the relevant information. You say that you had done a Google for the information but did not find anything to help you. That piece of information would have been nice to know.
Once you were given the information, it took you almost a month to respond. That's where it does get annoying. Nobody gets paid for helping anyone on these forums, so a quick response or a simple "Thank You" goes a long way to being helped again.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?