PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Adding extra hardware

My motherboard, like a lot of others has two IDE ports, both of which have two lots of hardware attached, how do I add yet more? I have two hard drives attached to one and one cd-rom and one zip drive on the other and I wish to install a new DVD drive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adding extra hardware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adding extra hardware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Adding extra hardware

In reply to: Adding extra hardware

You can add a PCI IDE controller, or RAID controller to your computer. That would give you 2 additional channels with 2 devices per channel.
computerdag

Collapse -
Re:Re:Adding extra hardware

In reply to: Re:Adding extra hardware

I agree. You will need to add an additional IDE controller. You will need a free PCI slot on your motherboard for this.

Alternatively your ZIP drive may have a parallel interface which can be plugged into the systems printer interface but this is not as good an idea as an additional IDE controller card.

Also you may want to reconsider the need for a ZIP drive. Mine is history now. I have moved all my backup data to CDRW CD's. They are only a

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Adding extra hardware

In reply to: Re:Re:Adding extra hardware

IDE zip drives never come with a Parallel interface, that is a different product, you buy either the parallel or the IDE zip (or the SCSI or USB).

Collapse -

Thanks very much for your answers - I think that a PCI IDE controller is the way to go...I don't want to ditch my zip drive - it is still working and I see no reason not to use it just because it's over 3 years old and may be "out-of-fashion". I can't seem to buy 650mb (70min) CD's now!!! Very soon you will only be able to get DVD discs!!! Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now...thanks again for your help.
Phil

Collapse -

I'll join you on the soap box. I don't want to take the time to transfer files. I also like the idea I can modify a file without complete new burn on a cdrw.

My only concern is with system upgrades losing the back ward compatiblity. I have a 100mb on an older, still useful machine and a 250mb on my newer machine. Also have cd players with both. I had to buy "Toast, T" because I have the old cd reader that couldn't read newer cd's. Worried what Iomega is going to change code and present a challenge (besides requiring storm trooper surveillance to reload software to a crashed system, as bad as Intuit tax program and MS everything.--My soap box. Sorry is this a personal attack or a legtimate opinion?)

RE: time marching on w/o thought of the past. I always remember a story that the Library of Congress put material on computer then kept upgrading until they longer had a system to access it.

Collapse -

Or: Go to Radio Shack and buy a hub, plug it into one of your IDE ports and have 4 spare IDE ports available

Collapse -

An IDE hub???? Never heard of this. Do you have a radio shack part number handy? I want to check it out.

Probably a better choice, if you want to "hub" things, would be to buy USB enclosures for the IDE devices and then use a USB hub. They cab be cascaded several levels deep and can handle numerous devices, not only IDE drives in USB enclosures, but printers, scanners, Network cards, sound cards, the list goes on and on.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Adding extra hardware

Ever think of using a promise card , it will give you two eide slots

Collapse -
Adding extra hardware--IDE Hub

Be careful what you read here. It's obvious not all responses are from "experts" since hubs for external devices are USB, not IDE. Promise sells many types of cars, one being an IDE card. It mounts in a PCI socket and has two ports to which you can connect up to two devices each. Throughput decreases, however, if you connect more than one. And that's especially important for a burning device. It should always be on its own port to prevent data slowdown and subsequent coasters (bad CDs).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.