Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Adding entries to the registry using .reg files

by America?s_Sweetheart / July 1, 2008 2:23 PM PDT

Hi. I found a list of malicious web sites here: http://www.2-spyware.com/news/post334.html. I'm trying to add them all to Internet Explorer's restricted sites (Tools --> Internet Options --> Security --> Restricted sites) via the Registry. I've gotten regedit to create the keys, but they have no values. I double-click on the .reg file, and I see a message box saying that it worked each time. Here's what I enter in the file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\expertantivirus.com]
?*?=dword:00000004

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adding entries to the registry using .reg files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adding entries to the registry using .reg files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm not sure what you expect to see.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 1, 2008 7:37 PM PDT

Personally I would never attempt to add my own entries to the Registry. I know just enough about it to know if I make an error I am likely to kill the OS.

However if you have the knowledge and are confident, then so be it.

I'm not sure from your post what you expect to see. That reg file should create a new key called 'expertantivirus.com' in the path you have posted, and the dword:00000004 should create a new Reg_DWord with the hex value 4 in it. But the registry editor will not display that value in the right hand pane. It will just show the Reg_Dword entry with a star. If you double click the star then you should see the Edit DWORD Value dialog box with the value 4 already inserted.

Is that what you are missing?

If so, have you tried the SpywareWarriors Zoned Out? It was mentioned by knicksfan3 in the site you linked to, although I haven't searched for it in the SpywareWarriors web site.

Are there alternatives?

Perhaps a utility like Spybot Search & Destroy would add sites like these to IE's restricted sites, although if you are now using AVG8 I believe the anti-virus breaks Spybot at the moment.

Or, why not add them manually within IE itself?

Mark

Collapse -
by America?s_Sweetheart / July 1, 2008 8:48 PM PDT

Here is a screenshot of what the above .reg file creates: http://home.comcast.net/~richmaxw/images/registry.png. As you can see, the key is there, but there is no DWORD value. I have already immunized my system using Spybot, but about half of these sites are not covered by that application. There are 930 of them, so manually creating the DWORD value or adding them inside of IE would take quite a bit of time. I already took the list of words from that site and converted the domain names into lines of a .reg file similar to the example above. I'm trying to figure out a way to get the .reg file to work so that my work isn't wasted.

Collapse -
Fixed
by America?s_Sweetheart / July 1, 2008 9:26 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply. I just used Zoned Out to add the entries. They're now among the restricted sites. Cheers.

Collapse -
How about installing. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 1, 2008 8:56 PM PDT

the free McAfee Site Advisor. It does all that work for you. Not editing the registry, but it will alert you to questionable sites and block the bad ones.

Google site adviser and it'll show the page for IE.

Collapse -
Found the problem
by America?s_Sweetheart / July 2, 2008 1:44 AM PDT

I found the problem with the .reg file. MS Word had converted the quote marks to "smart quotes" like this: ?? instead of this: "".

Collapse -
Ahh well done.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 2, 2008 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Found the problem

Such a simple thing, and it creates such problems, Happy

I wonder why Word did that though. But never mind, congratulations on solving it. I see you are also using Zoned Out. I hope it works well for you.

Mark

Collapse -
interesting tidbit ...
by Edward ODaniel / July 2, 2008 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahh well done.

When I posted neither Found the problem - New! by America?s_Sweetheart - 7/2/08 8:44 AM (post 6 of Cool nor your response (post 7 of Cool were showing although they are now but when I click on America's_Sweetheart to see the profile it shows http://my.cnet.com/community/America%c2%b4s_Sweetheart/?tag=usrprfl in the browser address but the page displayed is my own profile.

clicking MarkFlax on the other hand works exactly as it should (Yoda and all)

Collapse -
I've reported it Edward.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 2, 2008 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: interesting tidbit ...

Yes, interesting. I get my own profile when I click on the OP's profile link.

I've reported it to Lee.

Mark

Collapse -
Ed, when clicking on this profile, I too get my profile...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / July 3, 2008 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: interesting tidbit ...

The reason for this is because of the special characters in the person's username, the apostrophe to be exact. And when the system doesn't know how to translate that character to point to the correct profile, it automatically defaults to your own profile. While there aren't many usernames that include apostrophe and special characters @ # etc..., this issue that arises does need to be addressed. We are changing registration system to disallow any special charaters that is not alphanumeric soon, so that in the future instances of this does not happen.

For now if you are curious about this user's profile here it is:

http://my.cnet.com/5305-4_92-0-2.html?tag=tab&ursRegID=21948624783463937797603379001158

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Best regards,
-Lee

Collapse -
Interesting.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 3, 2008 4:57 AM PDT

Thanks for the swift reply Lee

Mark

Collapse -
I had a hunch that it was the apostrophy ...

as when we initially changed to Jive and had to all re-register I was not allowed to use the apostrophy in my own name as the system would not accept it. That got changed during one of the many early configuration edits (about the time graphics were disallowed).

I was actually only trying to see the user profile to see where they were located to see if it might explain why the two posts were not showing in the thread when I responded although apparently posted hours before mine.

Collapse -
It fails because it is incorrect ...
by Edward ODaniel / July 2, 2008 5:16 AM PDT

as it appears you used "smart quotes" rather than normal quotes

If you create the same reg file using Notepad and Courier font (non truetype) it works as it should.

To better see what I mean, download this file. You will need to replace the underscore with an R to run it but first you will want to open it in Notepad to look at it. The first entry is yours and the second does not use the "smart quotes" - I added the numeral 1 to the first key value and the numeral 2 to the second so you can locate them easily and delete them after seeing how it works.

Just clicking the link should open it in your browser (where you should be able to see the difference in the quotes) as it is just a text file so right click it and save it to get it onto your computer
http://www.oldsmokie2.com/files/testit._EG

After looking it over, run it to import it into your registry then look at the two keys created - the first (with the "smart quotes") has no name or value while the second has both.

It is the little things that get you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!