Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Adding contacts to Yahoo messenegr

by Andra_Veil / August 15, 2004 12:15 AM PDT

This is really the hairiest one I have had up to date, somehow the latest version of Yahoo Messenger has never allowed me to add new contacts to my list , all I am getting is is this, "your request to add a contact has taken longer than expected to complete. The operation might have succeeded;please check your Messenger list later"
Well the operation takes less than 3 seconds to give me this message , and even after re-installing it I still have no luck with it. Is there anyone out there who would know how to solve this irritating problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adding contacts to Yahoo messenegr
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adding contacts to Yahoo messenegr
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Adding contacts to Yahoo messenegr
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2004 12:32 AM PDT

Given the security concerns I have with MSn messenger, Yahoo and AIM, all I can offer is that you may want to take a look at GAIM.

In fact, with GAIM, you can ask for a feature to be added. If it's doable and something that the community thinks it should happen, it does.

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Adding contacts to Yahoo messenger
by Andra_Veil / August 15, 2004 12:42 AM PDT

Is GAIM also a kind of messenger??The main problem would be to get others to install it as well if it is. And if so can I install it on Win XP Pro?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2004 2:09 AM PDT

Why would others have to install it?

Why I ask is that it works with other messagers just fine. Your question may be because you didn't read the supplied link. If not, be assured I don't duplicate supplied link content.

Bob

Collapse -
by Andra_Veil / August 15, 2004 3:46 AM PDT

I have even downloaded it and still no luck in adding contacts on yahoo, so the problem persists

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2004 4:00 AM PDT

GAIM would not and should not affect Yahoo messenger. All I can write is that you may not have read what GAIM is and what it does.

Bob

Collapse -
by Andra_Veil / August 15, 2004 4:19 AM PDT

I have read all the instructions, it closes yahoo messenger when it signs in on GAIM but no matter how hard I try I still can't add any new contacts to the list:(

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2004 4:29 AM PDT

Let me be clear. Your subject title still reads "Adding contacts to Yahoo messenger" and you repeated this in your post.

It's up to you to be as clear as possible about Yahoo Messenger or if you are using some other software.

I noted GAIM to give you an option for other software.

Bob

Collapse -
by prodigyman1 / August 29, 2004 9:38 AM PDT

I have this same exact problem and am trying to find the solution. It is obvious that this "R. Proffitt" guy either does not understand a single word you are saying or is too intent on pushing his GAIM program to be of any help.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2004 9:44 AM PDT

So did you try GAIM and see if the issue exists there?

Yahoo's support is less than mine, so I wonder what you think of their help? Do tell.

Bob

Collapse -
by Alex007 / August 30, 2004 4:22 PM PDT

I am having this exact same problem... and it started for me only a week ago so I'm trying to figure out what caused it. I also installed GAIM and it has a little exclamation point next to the smiley face which is to the left of the contact I tried to add..it says "not on server list" and when I try to add them on yim it says "your request to add a contact has taken longer than expected to complete." I recently bought zone alarm security suite so I'm trying to figure out if THAT may be the cause of my problems. Does anyone else with this issue use either ZA SS or IM Secure ??? By the way, I see no problems adding people to my msn or aim accounts either on those messenging clients or on GAIM...this is strictly a Yahoo issue.

Collapse -
Zone Alarm is a known cause of such an issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2004 8:46 PM PDT

You need to ask ZoneLabs how to configure ZA for GAIM and other IMs. Many install firewalls but don't realize how much care and feeding is required.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Zone Alarm is a known cause of such an issue.
by Alex007 / September 1, 2004 4:54 PM PDT

Well I already pursued that avenue. My zone alarm settings are heavily customized and I have them set up in a way that would allow all my chat clients to work efficiently. I've had zone alarm pro since version 2.5 so I think I know what I'm doing Happy I also completely shut it down to see if that cured the problem and it didn't...so it's not Zone Alarm. When I read of other people having the same issue I decided to download an older version of YIM... and the problem went away Happy It's an issue inherent in the new protocol Yahoo uses for Messenger 6, and that's why it's a problem for GAIM also, since GAIM uses the same protocol for their yahoo client. I didn't like any of the new "features" in version 6 anyway so I went and got 5.6 again. You can still use 6, all you have to do is sign in with 5.6, add whoever you want to add to your contact list, sign back out, and then sign in with Version 6, or GAIM or Trillian, or whatever you want to use and the new buddies will appear there as well.

http://download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/ymsgr/ymsgr_1358.exe <<link to the last build of version 5.6

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2004 9:53 PM PDT

Just so you know, Zone Alarm has no "disable". It was only revealed recently that you must uninstall it to disable it.

If the new versions of IMs have this bug, then you need to report it and wait for the next version. But I sit and wonder why my neighbor who uses GAIM doesn't seem to have this issue. But they don't run Zonealarm either. They have something else.

Bob

Collapse -
by vivekananda / September 18, 2004 10:34 AM PDT

Yes!
Zone Alarm was the problem in my case.

I was having same problems of not being able to add members in yahoo messenger 6.0. But now i uninstalled zone alarm and its working fine

Thanks to Bob.

Collapse -
Thanks for the report.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2004 10:49 AM PDT

What I've heard, but not tried is that once you have it working, then you can reinstall Zone Alarm and allow the IM software internet access and it will still work.

If it doesn't, then report that to ZoneLabs as well as the Virus and Security Forum so others can look it over.

Bob

Collapse -
by Andra_Veil / September 10, 2004 5:54 AM PDT

thanks, at last someone understands what my problem is, I hope someone will be able to help us, not only have I got that problem now but my whole address book on messenger has disappeared as well now Sad

Collapse -
by Andra_Veil / September 10, 2004 3:20 PM PDT

Thanks for the advise, I did reinstall an older version of Yahoo Messenger and now have no problem at all, just wished I knew now how to get the new version stored somewhere else, so I could actually open and close whichever version I need for the moment

Collapse -
by rep5775 / September 19, 2004 3:15 AM PDT

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but i to have yahoo, and was having trouble with it, a friend told me to make sure i had the latest version of it, did that and now no problems, one more thing, if u downloaded xp sp2, you might want to go here for a patch, hope this helps............rep
http://download.yahoo.com/dl/sbcy/xpsp2fix.exe

Collapse -
Re: Adding contacts to Yahoo messenegr (FINAL FIX)
by redmage / September 21, 2004 11:36 PM PDT

I finally found a fix for this!
I'll describe my personal situation..

I just updated XP Pro to service pack 2 (this may not be necessary for you).

I uninstalled Yahoo messenger and all yahoo related apps from the ADD/REMOVE Programs in the Windows Control Panel. Then I deleted the c:\program files\yahoo! directory.

Uninstalled Zone Alarm and rebooted.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 has a built in firewall and it has turned itself on after uninstalled zone alarm. (again this may not apply to you, you may not need to update to service pack 2)

Installed Yahoo messenger and now the add contact works perfect.

I have not tried to install Zone Alarm again. I heard from a previous post that installing Zone Alarm after yahoo works will keep yahoo working like it should but I have not tried it yet.

Good luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.