Question

adding blu ray optical drives

Is it possible to buy a blu ray optical drive for a laptop and swap it out for the standard dvd drive? are there additional requirements (besides HD screen) needed on the machine to play blu ray discs? if so, where would i be able to purchase a drive? thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: adding blu ray optical drives
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: adding blu ray optical drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Adding...

You gave no clue as to the laptop model# involved here. If this is an older laptop, then I wouldn't wste time on this.

- Collapse -
Answer
Sorry but your topic writes "adding" but
- Collapse -

Okay thanks, I am thinking about doing this with a Toshiba Satellite model but I don't know how I'd find a drive that would match it's current DVD drive. So I would indeed need to purchase blu ray capable software as well?

- Collapse -
You may have to check it out.

I think I see it's a Toshiba Satellite but with over a decade of models I can't say all will accept this drive.

As to the software, you dont have to buy that. It's only needed for playing Blu ray discs.
Bob

PS. Sorry if this upsets anyone. But without the model or better yet a link to the model's home page you will have to figure it out.

- Collapse -

Sorry, it's a Toshiba Satellite A665-S5177X 15.6-Inch Laptop if that helps

- Collapse -
Looks fine.

SATA interface and what looks to be a standard bezel. Some quibble if the bezel is not exact but this is as good as it gets.

- Collapse -

so if I want to actually play blu ray discs with it, I could purchase that drive and I would still need some type of blu-ray-playing software, correct?

- Collapse -
Sorry.

I thought that was answered. If yes is not enough then try it without to see if you can save a buck.

BTW, I didn't comment on the laptop. NICE CHOICE. I like the CPU choice (i5) and with that you have the oomph to decode BD.
Bob

- Collapse -
bd

Sorry, it's not the cost of the software I am worried about, I am just trying to make sure I have what I need. You had mentioned above "As to the software, you dont have to buy that. It's only needed for playing Blu ray discs." but I don't know why else I would want to install a BD drive if I wasn't going to play discs with it. Thanks for the replies!

- Collapse -
The forum can't know that.

There is such as thing as Bluray DATA discs. And some folk already have the software.

Glad you got your answers.
Bob

- Collapse -
/\

Got it, Thanks again.

CNET Forums