Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Adding a wired switch to a wireless network

by CameronAtServe / March 22, 2006 12:45 AM PST

Ok, I'm going in the opposite direction as most people here. I have a cable modem which is connected directly to a DLink wireless router. Every PC in my house has wireless cards, so I have had no real use for network cable in a long time... however, what I'd like to do is add a wired hub/switch to my existing wireless network, but I'd like to do it in an area that is nowhere near my wireless access point.

How can I go about doing that? I do have LAN cards in the PCs in the area I want to add this wired switch if there's the possibility of connecting one of the PCs to the switch in order to join it to the network. otherwise, do I have other options, or is that even an option itself?

So to recap: cable modem - DLink wiress router on main floor of my house. Multiple PCs with wireless cards, all with good connectivity to my network.

I would like to add a 4 port wired switch to my ''office'' area in the basement so I can network other devices without continually buying USB network adapters (for instance, my DVR or a printer) or by figuring out some other workaround. This switch would then handle traffic from my existing wireless network just as if my network were entirely wired.

Thanks for any input.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adding a wired switch to a wireless network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adding a wired switch to a wireless network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your wireless router should have....
by Michael Geist / March 22, 2006 8:47 AM PST

ethernet ports available for wired expansion. If feasible, simply run a cable from there to the switch.

Collapse -
It does...
by CameronAtServe / March 22, 2006 11:57 PM PST

But that's not feasible. the whole point of the wireless network in the first place was to avoid running Cat5 through my house, which this would obviously entail. I just need a switch downstairs, where there's a concentration of equipment, some with WiFi capability and some without. And also, just for the record, it's also not feasible to move the cable modem and wireless router downstairs.

thanks for the response though

Collapse -
Add another wireless router...
by Mojo_58 / March 23, 2006 12:23 AM PST

You can install another wireless router in your home office. This router can be configured to forward dhcp requests to your main router. Most routers come with a built-in switch with 4 to 8 ports. You can run patch cables to the switch from the devices.

The cable drop from the other route can still be a back-up method. But you would still need a switch to split the connection with either method.

Joe Fox

Collapse -
it seems like I've tried this before
by CameronAtServe / March 23, 2006 12:56 AM PST

don't the wireless routers have to be the same brand in order to accomplish this? I had an old 802.11b wireless router and I tried adding it (mainly for the extra broadcast point) to my D-Link and they could never see each other..

I don't think I still have that old one, but I could certainly buy another DLink if that would work.. that would also help my signal issues I have down here as well.... if I knew it would work.

Collapse -
by linkit / March 23, 2006 5:09 AM PST

It's not the brand. It's the particular wireless router model with a particular firmware version. Some routers have firmware that support WDS, but most don't. Some routers have 3rd party firmware available that can add
WDS support.

WDS example:,1697,1934577,00.asp

Collapse -
Thanks for the info
by CameronAtServe / March 27, 2006 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: WDS

Maybe I'll check ebay for a cheap used Wireless AP or router and see if I can get WDS to work..

Collapse -
wireless bridge
by linkit / March 28, 2006 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the info

If you try with two WDS capable routers, essentially they both have to be the same (or similar) models. The alternative is a bridge connected to some type of switch.

Internet --- modem --- wireless router ~ ~ ~ Bridge --- switch --- computers

--- wired
~ ~ ~ wireless

For more info, look at the user manual for the Linksys WET54G or another wireless bridge from the company of your choice.

Collapse -
Wait a minute... does it have to be "wireless"??
by CameronAtServe / March 23, 2006 2:05 AM PST

I have an old Netgear router, could I just add that? or what would happen if I just ran a crossover cable from my PC into a hub/switch?

the problem with the Netgear router is that there is only one port on it, so I would have to go straight from the router into a switch anyway

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!