Computer Help forum

General discussion

Adding a photo to Access

Hi There Is there anyone out there who can sort my problem out. I am trying to add potographs to my database so that when I access the members form I can see a picture of the member. I thought this would be easy, just to have a location of pictures and sort of hyperlink it to the exact picture I requried to show, but this is not the case and I do not understand the way to do it. Come on you brainy bunch can you give me a easy solution.
Regards Tony B.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adding a photo to Access
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adding a photo to Access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Adding a photo to Access

In reply to: Adding a photo to Access

You don't mention the version of Access BUT if you open the Access Help file and view the Contents you should see a chapter about Creating, Importing, and Linking Tables. Within it you will find "Adding Fields and Chosing Data Types" where it explains how to do this. One of the choices it to create a field for OLE objects which includes pictures.

After you have created the table and populated it with necessary data (including the pictures) you can create the forms/reports as desired for the effect you want.

You can also investigate the sample databases that came with Access to get a better idea of what is involved. Make use of the various views (Form view/Data view/design view) and each object's properties to see how the "magic" happens.

This too might help you out (more efficient but requires some knowledge of coding):
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285820&Product=acc2002

You can also go here http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/downloads.htm (lots there to help you out if you are getting started in Access) and scroll to the bottom of the page and locate the Use Pic download. It is an Access database that demonstrates how to handle pictures in Access Databases.

Collapse -
Re: Adding a photo to Access

Some sample coding (that you might need to twist to your need) in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;210100. And references in there for other versions of Access.

Also have a look at the Northwind-database that comes with MS Access. It has a form with pictures of the things they sell. If you understand that, you'll be able to adapt it to your needs.

More (maybe) in the first posts of the following discussion:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6129-0.html?forumID=29&threadID=13573&messageID=153987

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Adding a photo to Access Thanks

Just a thank you to all who contirbuted to this discussion. regards Tony B.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.