General discussion

Adding a Blue Ray DVD player to HT-X70 HTIB system.

Good morning.

I have the following components:
Samsung HP-T4254 Plasma TV
Samsung HT-X70 HTIP (upconverting 5 disc dvd)
Motorola HD DVR

The components are setup using HDMI cables and an optical cable.
Is it possible to add a Blue Ray player to the system and still take advantage of the sound from the HTIB?

Thank you.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Adding a Blue Ray DVD player to HT-X70 HTIB system.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Adding a Blue Ray DVD player to HT-X70 HTIB system.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -

bvette1,

On the rear of the HT-X70, there is an HDMI-IN port that you'd be able to connect to a new Blu-Ray player. Since both audio and video can transfer through an HDMI cable, you should be able to use that input for your Blu-Ray player.

If the DVR is using the HDMI input already, there are no more optical inputs available for the audio, so you'd likely have to choose between the Blu-Ray and the DVR.

Does that help?

--HDTech

- Collapse -

Thank you for your reply.

My current configuration is as follow:

HT-X70 HTIB: HDMI output jack is connected to Samsung HPT-4254 HDMI input jack.

Motorola DVR: HDMI output jack is connected to Samsung HPT-4254 HDMI input jack.

Motorola DVR: Optical cable output jack connected to HTX-70 HTIB optical cable input jack.

If I understand you correctly, I should be able to add a Blue Ray DVD player by simply connecting an HDMI cable from the HDMI output jack of the Blue ray player to the HDMI input jack of the HT-X70 HTIB?

Thank you for your help.

- Collapse -

bvette1,

Does the audio not go from the DVR to the HT system through the HDMI?

I would think connecting the Blu-Ray directly to the TV with HDMI for the picture, and then running the optical to the HT system for the audio would do the trick.

But it could go either way. One, if not both, units should be able to send the signal and audio through the same HDMI port, leaving the optical for your "other connection".

Unfortunately, I can't see what your TV has in terms of the jackpack - my spec site is down, so I'm wondering if you have more than 1 HDMI on the set.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
2 HDMI

Just found my old stash of paper manuals. (Had to dig through!) And you should have 2 HDMI ports.

So yes, it should be possible to do that.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Adding a Blue Ray DVD player to HT-X70 HTIB system

Again, thank you very much for your replies.
The reason I have the optical cable configured as I do, is so that when I watch TV, with the HD DVR, I can turn on the HTIB, using Digital In, and have 5.1 from the HTIB. (it automatically mutes the sound from the tv)

- Collapse -

bvette1,

Well, the HDMI from the Blu-Ray player isn't going to send a 5.1 audio signal through the television to the HTIB. Any HDMI-In that gets sent out through the optical cable is a 2.0 (stereo) format.

You might either consider swapping out the optical cables when using the Blu-Ray player, or maybe getting an optical switch to do it automatically. Perhaps a minor workaround.... but... perhaps that works out without having to upgrade.

--HDTech

- Collapse -

If I use an HDMI cable and connect the Blue Ray Player output jack to the input jack of the HT-X70 HTIB, why would I need to use an optical swith to watch Blue Ray movies? The HDMI cable will carry 5.1 sound from the Blue Ray Player to the HT-X70.

CNET Forums

Forum Info