Laptops forum

General discussion

Adding 2nd HDD to IBM ThinkPad A30

by matthiashess / February 26, 2010 5:12 AM PST

I have a ThinkPad A30 (Type 2652) with the original 30GB IDE HDD, 1GHz Pentium CPU and 1GB of RAM running WinXP. I desperately need more storage space, and a friend recently gave me a 2.5" 60GB SATA Toshiba hdd2d35. I'm trying to determine the best way to add this drive to my system. An easy method would be an external USB enclosure, but my laptop only has USB 1.1 so I would be crawling. I considered purchasing a USB 2.0 PCMCIA adapter, but I already have one slot filled with a wireless network adapter and I prefer not to have too many wires and protrusions all over the place.

My preferred option would be to install the drive internally via an UltraBay adapter (such as 40Y8725) so that I can leave the old drive as-is and possibly install a 2nd OS on the new drive, but the more I read about this the more confused I become. Lenovo says that this adapter does not support non-Lenovo drives, but that doesn't make much sense. SATA is SATA, right? I'm also curious about whether I'll need to do anything special to use the SATA drive internally along with my IDE drive. Also, there seems to be a Lenovo version and a generic version of the adapter out there, and I'm becoming confused about what will and won't work. I'm not certain about which ThinkPad models use the same UltraBay technology, because most of these adapters, while they look to be the correct size, do not list the A30.

Alternatively, I suppose that I could get an adapter to allow me to use the 60GB drive as the primary and use the 30GB drive as the secondary, but that seems like it would entail a lot more work. I would appreciate any advice!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adding 2nd HDD to IBM ThinkPad A30
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adding 2nd HDD to IBM ThinkPad A30
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dead end, wrong interface, false starts, wrong drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 6:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Still confused about Ultrabay details
by matthiashess / March 1, 2010 11:54 AM PST

Thanks for the reply--I really appreciate it. Someone pointed me to the site http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:A30 which has a lot of helpful details. It lists the Ultrabays on my machine as IDE. My impression had been that the controller would be a part of the Ultrabay adapter to allow flexibility, especially since there exist ATA to IDE adapters. This is the adapter listing:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ultrabay_2000_HDD_Adapter
http://www.amazon.com/IBM-Ultrabay-2000-Adapter-19K4480/dp/B00004Z74V/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267245169&sr=8-1
I'm not sure what to think because it doesn't specify IDE. If my machine will only accept IDE drives, I'd sort of like to see it in writing to put my mind at ease.

Collapse -
Sorry if I was unclear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2010 1:19 PM PST

I'm not sure if I could have made it any clearer.

Collapse -
I've got it now.
by matthiashess / March 2, 2010 12:48 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.