Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

add website to internet

by jfbaer / December 17, 2004 2:37 AM PST

I have coffeecup visual for my page builder and I have a registered domain name. now what do I do???

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Build & Upload
by timwerx / December 17, 2004 10:59 AM PST

Frankly, what you ask is way too much for a simple answer, but the simple answer would be:

Design and build your page(s), then upload.

I would suggest looking through the web for some tutorials on the subject. There are many good ones.

Collapse -
I would suggest
by PudgyOne / December 17, 2004 11:14 AM PST

I would suggest, that you look around the internet and look for someone to host your webpages. If you use their services, first of all, it's a business expense(tax writeoff). Second of all, you don't have to worry about hackers or other problems from leaving your own computer online. If you decide to use your own computer, I suggest you use it solely for your webpages only and do not have any credit card or bank account info on it. Remember people out there practice hacking into websites as well.

I only take care of a website for someone, and the only problem that we had was the server took a voltage surge and was down for a week.

That reminds me to tell you to always back up your work, even if it means burning it on a CD. I had her website up and running in eight hours, from the time I found out it was back on. Unfortunatly, some other websites didn't have their information backed up and had to go get graphics and everything all redone.

Collapse -
Lots of things to do.
by Del / December 17, 2004 3:02 PM PST

If you finished your pages and are ready to put them online, your next step is to get yourself a host. If you're using your own domain, you'll probably need a paid host such as PowWeb, Canaca, etc. You will need to set up their domain servers (ns1.webhost.com, ns2.webhost.com.. replace webhost.com with whatever your host would specify) within your domain's regristrar (where you got the domain from) account panel.

Once you've finished with those, you'd need to use either the host's file manager program or you would need an FTP client. FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is the easiest method to transfer files to the server because you can view a split screen between your computer's files and the server's files. There are plenty of instructions for FTP on the internet. For me to write them, it would take up about 10 pages... and that's just for the basics.

In your new user root directory, you would need to upload your files and folders. Now the way this works, at least for the basics, is that you should have an index file as your entry page. It needs to be named index.htm or index.html and this is the file that would allow users to access your website directly if they were to type in www.yourdomain.com/ rather than www.yourdomain.com/index.html

Make sure all of your pages are properly named to match the links on each of your pages and also make sure the links themselves are referenced correctly and don't include your own computer's file paths such as C://Documents and Settings/My Webs/My New Site/Me

There are thousands of places on the internet where you can find html tutorials. A good start is at http://www.htmlgoodies.com/

My advice is that even though you may have a wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) editor, you should at least learn the basics of html because you'll find yourself tweaking the codes quite often.

Collapse -
FTP server
by jfbaer / December 17, 2004 8:07 PM PST
In reply to: Lots of things to do.

First I would like to thank you for your response. A dialog box appears and ask for FTP server, username, password, and www.folder. I called my isp (people pc) and they said they do not support that information. Where can I get this info. Thanks.

Collapse -
You'll need another host...
by Del / December 18, 2004 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: FTP server

Many ISP's don't allow their customers to add domains to their free websites. In fact, there are a lot of free hosts available, but they don't allow parking of domains either. A lot of them do allow FTP access though.

What you could do is follow this link and choose a paid host that would suit you best:

http://www.webhostingunleashed.com/ I don't want to single one out in particular because it could be considered a form of advertising on this forum. (and I also run a hosting company, but like I just said..)

You would need to get an account set up with one of those hosts, preferably one that allows you to use your own domain name instead of having to purchase one through them.

I'm assuming that the FTP server info you're referring to is part of the Coffeecup designer software. You would get that information from your host. The user/pass is usually the same as what you'd choose for site access with the host. Most of the FTP settings are configured to default to match server requirements such as the port (usually 21), file type (binary = graphic, ascii = text based, auto detect = Automatically detected ascii or binary), log in (anonymous, normal) etc.

But the first thing you need to do is design your website and then choose a host to upload your website on. If you're still uncertain how all this works, you probably should start out with a free host so you can test your pages out to make sure they'll work okay. Although you wouldn't be able to use your domain in most cases, you could select from one of many free hosts here: http://www.freewebspace.net/ (I have a partner who has a listing there.. can't advertise it though.. starts with a C and ends with a C.)

I wish I could help you more. I love helping others get their sites set up for the first time.

Collapse -
Thanks, compugeek.
by chuckieu / December 21, 2004 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: Lots of things to do.

I wasn't the original poster. Am a new website owner.
Your reply helped. Have domain, hoster, etc. For the life of me, I can't find a way to FTP my design using the directions they give. Hope your links help. Did I mention
I'm a newbie at this. Also going to look for a howto on GFTP. Thanks again. chuck

Collapse -
the next step
by onebione / December 22, 2004 11:31 AM PST

you have the tools for creating page, and you have an addr for it, now you need a place to put it. You need a server. you can "host" your website at your home or with another host company. judging by what you have said, you probably want to go with a host company to free you of all the hassles. There are so many companies out there, I wont' even recommend. Personally I host at home. I have complete control that way, and all the headaches too.

~it's all good, happy holidays, WhoSave.com

Collapse -
Hosting at home..
by Del / December 22, 2004 5:11 PM PST
In reply to: the next step

Personally, I wouldn't recommend running a website off your own computer for these reasons..

1) ISP'S frown over customers using their own computers to serve the internet. With many ISP's, it's a violation of their terms unless you acquire their internet dedicated line services which will require a router.
2) Your machine becomes more vulnerable to hackers and other security risks
3) Setting up a domain to point to your computer could be a dns nightmare for beginning users.
4) You may need to drop your firewall in order to allow incoming transfer requests, either that or specify which port(s) should be kept open or closed.

Also, if you have any adware, spyware, worms, or trojans on your system, you run a slight risk of spreading the infection to anyone who accesses your web files.

Just to name a few problems..

Collapse -
Also, depending on your ISP
by chuckieu / December 24, 2004 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: Hosting at home..

Some ISPs claim ownship of your website, since you are using their system. chuck

Collapse -
Your next step is:
by williambrackett / April 5, 2005 8:25 PM PDT

After You purchase/register your www name you need to pay for someone to host your web site. Once this is done you can upload your pages.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) try netrockers.com
by netrockers / May 14, 2005 10:28 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!