PC Hardware forum

General discussion

add second SATA drive

by haloo / October 16, 2004 12:33 PM PDT

i got 1 80GB Seagate SATA drive and i would like to add another one. Would this increase the speed?? because i heard somewhere about it.. and also what configuration should i use?? Can i still partitioning my drive??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: add second SATA drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: add second SATA drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: add second SATA drive
by Ross / October 16, 2004 1:19 PM PDT
In reply to: add second SATA drive

The only way I know of to increase the speed of seek with two hdd's is through the use of raid 0. Is this what your going to use??

Collapse -
by haloo / October 16, 2004 1:30 PM PDT

There is raid 0 and 1 right.. so what do i have to do for raid 0. do i just need to add a hdd or what configuration do i need to do??
i got asus A7V600 mb that come with SATA connection

Collapse -
by JMarchi / October 17, 2004 1:14 AM PDT

The only way to move to raid 0 would be to get a RAID controller (unless your motherboard had it built in) and then rebuild your system from scratch, using the 2 drives in a RAID 0 configuration.

It might be better to get a 10,000 RPM SATA drive and use that instead as the boot drive.

Collapse -
Rarely faster..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2004 1:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
by billzhills / October 17, 2004 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: add second SATA drive

haloo,

By increasing the speed do you mean data or system?

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/
The fundamental principle behind RAID is the use of multiple hard disk drives in an array that behaves in most respects like a single large, fast one. There are a number of ways that this can be done, depending on the needs of the application, but in every case the use of multiple drives allows the resulting storage subsystem to exceed the capacity, data security, and performance of the drives that make up the system, to one extent or another. The tradeoffs--remember, there's no free lunch--are usually in cost and complexity.

http://www.yale.edu/pclt/PCHW/clockidea.htm
Jargon explained: clock, megahertz/gigahertz, cycle
Computer performance is a traffic problem, moving data and instructions from memory and around inside the chip. Most people think of "traffic" in terms of cars and highways. However, there is a more relevant traffic analogy that everyone experienced before they learned to drive.

To increase Data transfer to memory you will need to set up a RAID. This is a system of splitting Data across HDD. RAID 0 and 1 are the most popular.

System speed is dictated by many more variables.

Each subject should be approached separately as both are equally confusing.

Bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.