Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

ADD & REMOVE Programs trouble

by ron11639 / February 10, 2007 3:53 AM PST

Anyone
I have Windows XP with little experience.
I used to run Windows Defender free. I didn't know there was a time limit on it.
I tried several times to remove it from Add & Remove Programs. It won't let me. It looks for a file that no longer exists. At first, I downloaded (after expiration date) this .msi or .mci file, and it still didn't acknowledge it. I tried to talk to Microsoft but they didn't want to talk to me about it.
Is there any utility that will remove such programs from my system or any other approach. I have only a 40 mb drive, so I try to get rid of things I don't need.

Anyone's help will be appreciated
ron

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ADD & REMOVE Programs trouble
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ADD & REMOVE Programs trouble
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this
by byker49 / February 10, 2007 4:31 AM PST

Reinstall the Windows Defender program and then go and remove it from Add/Remove. Windows Defender is a small program.(Less than 6 MB).

Collapse -
I tried
by ron11639 / February 10, 2007 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

hi
Thanks for the reply.
I tried that a few times, downloading from Microsoft. The Un-install Wizard wouldn't acknowledge that file when I had it. I think it is just another Microsoft trap to make my buy their Windows Defender. The thing is, I was told it was to be free. Then it stopped working correctly somwhere along the way. So tried to disable it and use Zone Alert firewall/free instead. Its a better firewall anyhow. So I'm stuck unless someone knows some computer tricks to free me from MS aggravation.
Again thanks
ron

Collapse -
Try this
by tomron / February 10, 2007 1:03 PM PST

This might help,Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

====================

You could search for the files,(start>search) and the registry,(start>run>regedit) and remove it this way.
Tom

Collapse -
thanks
by ron11639 / February 11, 2007 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: Try this

Thanks for that utility. I downloaded it but as yet haven't installed it. Just hoping I don't mess anything more up. I learned to use Recovery Points whenever I attempt changes I am not familiar with.

Your other suggestion using Regedit, I'm afraid to mess around with the Registry.
in appreciation
ron

Collapse -
ron11639
by tomron / February 12, 2007 2:31 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

One must exercise caution when dealing with the registry.If you decide to go into the registry export first.

e.g.,highlight the sub-key>file tab>export.

This way in case there is a problem you can export it back into the registry.

Tom

Collapse -
the safe guard
by ron11639 / February 14, 2007 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: ron11639

Tom
Regarding your comment on being safe -

"e.g.,highlight the sub-key>file tab>export."
"This way in case there is a problem you can export it back into the registry."

Will this safe guard prevent a bootup problem, such as preventing a bootup? Such difficulty is overcome?. I have no idea or what to look for when dealing with the Registry. But i am interested in what to do just to make sure I can boot the computer. My experince is nearly next to nothing.
with appreciation
ron

Collapse -
Hi Ron
by tomron / February 14, 2007 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: the safe guard

I don't think deleting a registry entry for windows defender would cause a problem booting.

Just make sure you export and save it where you can find it,I always save such things in my documents.

This LINK will explain.If you have other questions feel free to post back.

Tom

Collapse -
other removals
by ron11639 / February 14, 2007 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Ron

Tom
Thanks for your help and suggested MS Link.
Actually I was thinking of other entries in registry. I found a few other listings in Add & Remove Programs that I was unable to remove. I would click on them to remove one of them and nothing happened [referring to items other than Defender].
I hope you don't mind, but I may have one or two more questions.
Thanks again
ron

Collapse -
OK
by tomron / February 14, 2007 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: other removals

Try this LINK.

Also this program removes programs in add/remove,Add-Remove Pro.I never used it so therefore can not comment on it.

Tom

Collapse -
very good
by ron11639 / February 14, 2007 8:35 AM PST
In reply to: OK

Tom
That was a very good recomendation, Add-Remove Pro2. I tried it out. It was very easy to use and appears safe. It is an excellent utility, I think. Better than the MS Utility you mentioned earlier.

I tested where it was Green [linked], but unwanted listing. I tried to test it with Uninstall - It wouldn't. Then I tested it with Remove, and it did. For the Red X, or no link, easy removal. I appreciate your help. I'm trying to clean things up cause I installed a much larger drive awhile back.

If you have any more suggestions regarding utilities [free or pay] let me know. Like what free [or pay] registry cleaner do you recommend? Or any other useful utility. You have been very helpful.
Sincerely
ron

Collapse -
Ron
by tomron / February 14, 2007 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: very good
Collapse -
Some observations
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 7:24 PM PST

A 40 MB hard drive is very very small indeed. So small in fact that almost anything you try to install is going to be too large for the drive. I wonder if you made an error in the size. Perhaps you meant 40 GB's?

Windows Defender is not a firewall like Zonealarm. It is an anti-spyware utility and it is free. Although ZoneAlarm Pro has an anti-spyware option, it is not the best in my view, and should only be used as a backup anti-spyware scanner, with something like Windows Defender or AVG Free AntiSpyware as a main anti-spyware scanner.

However, ZoneAlarm is an effective firewall.

Windows Defender is free. There is no charge and there is no time limit on it. This may be why Microsoft couldn't help you, because they didn't understand what the problem was.

You haven't given any error messages, so it's difficult to fathom where the problem lies.

Mark

Collapse -
Windows Defender
by eddie11013 / February 10, 2007 11:44 PM PST
Collapse -
Ron, just because something is deleted in Add/Remove..
by DarCLew2 / February 14, 2007 10:34 AM PST

they are still listed in many areas. Use Search is one of them, but on the bottom is More Advanced Options, Search in System Folders, Search Hidden Files and Folders & Search Subfolders I have checked. Then I use CCleaner's Issues which is the registry. That you can get at:www.ccleaner.com/ when you have it, you may want to make some minor changes first like under System is Temporary Files which is your Temp Folder. Under Applications, I have Adobe, WMP unchecked, any other Utilites like Spybot S&D, AVG Antispyware, your antivirus that is not Defender's unchecked. Run both Analyze and Scan for Issues. I don't save them. With |MG| EasyCleaner 2.0.6.380, this that link: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download414.html, It will say registry & you can clear files, cookies, history & MRU. Amything that comes up on the registry , you use the red + to delete those items with select all and delete all. Easy to use, but I had to learn how to clean out my registry when I had WIN98SE & WINME using Run to regedit and click ok. Top has Edit, drop down has Find Type in what you want to find. Usually it may be in a list but the top one on the left is your main key unless the right side lists other programs, then you right click and delete. Hit F3 and it will search the entire registry until it says finished searching. Darrell L

Collapse -
kill files
by Amos16 / February 15, 2007 2:23 AM PST

Hi - a good removal program that works where add/remove does not is Killbox. Look it up at vbtechcd@gmail.com. Hope this helps - Amos.

Collapse -
thanks
by ron11639 / February 15, 2007 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: kill files

Amos
Thanks. I will check this one out also. [KillBox]
ron

Collapse -
i will look
by ron11639 / February 15, 2007 9:13 AM PST

Darrell
Thanks. I will look into Easy Cleaner as well.
ron

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.