HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Add/Remove Programs problem

by genej313 / January 24, 2008 7:45 AM PST

I have had this system a year and today something new happened. It is a Windows XP Media Center Edition, 2GB Ram. When I booted up the machine it insisted it wanted me to update Sonic - a program I didn't know I had nor have ever used. Many clicks to get rid of the dialog box. Went to Add/Remove programs and it is listed there, but there is no uninstall button. Nor any uninstall.exe in the Sonic directory under program files. How do I get rid of it? Why do some programs NOT have an uninstall button in the Add/Remove Programs? Any help will be most appreciated. I've been looking through Google and found nothing useful, this is the only place where anyone seems to know anything! :^) gene

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Add/Remove Programs problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Add/Remove Programs problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You might try. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 24, 2008 8:43 AM PST

Windows Install Cleanup. Google it.

Collapse -
you might try - add/remove programs with no remove buttons
by genej313 / January 25, 2008 9:02 AM PST
In reply to: You might try. . .

Okay, boy, did that NOT work. Now I have two problems. Windows Installer tries to run every time I boot AND Sonic, despite, deleting it from Program Files, STILL gives me that incessant message. I got an urgent message from MS, an update regarding Media Center Edition, installed that, still have Sonic wanting a disk. I've questions out to HP - it is THEIR machine after all, lol. I want to know why, and maybe how, a program can be put on a machine with no remove button in Add/Remove programs. That really sort of puts a consumer at a loss. I do NOT want to restore the whole machine back to its pristine state a year ago, I've already repurchased the protections I bought then, ZoneAlarm, Eset, stuff like that, and would have to go through all that again. All I want is a way to KILL this popup window demanding I insert a disk I never had. The folder is gone, the files are gone, where is this prompt coming from? I have Autoruns and there is nothing from Sonic in there anywhere. I dismissed it through add/remove Windows components, but this ubiquitous prompt will not go away. Oh, and now I have windows installer trying to install itself everytime I boot too, lol. Must be something I did in a past life, lmao...

Collapse -
Have You Checked For The Uninstaller At...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 26, 2008 4:31 AM PST

...the following path: "C:\Windows\Installer" folder.

In the folder above, there should be a number of .msi files which are the original Windows Installer files for a variety of programs. Hovering the mouse over the file (or RIGHT click, choose "Properties") will tell you which program the installer is for.. (Some of them simply say: "Windows Installer" and you can skip those.) IF YOU FIND THE ONE for the Sonic program, double click on the file and it should bring up a screen to "repair" or "Remove".

There are a LOT of .msi files in the "Installer" folder, as well as other types. Be patient. You only need to check the properties of those files with the .msi file extension but it may take a while to see the properties of all of them.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Windows Uninstaller and msi file!
by genej313 / January 28, 2008 7:27 AM PST

Hallelujah, you did it. I finally got a response from HP - which had me uninstall Sonic from the registry,which I did and which did nothing, that update manager kept coming back. Then I looked at your advice and went through those MSI files there were 7 of THEM. Each alleged it uninstalled. Then I went back to Program files. The folder for Sonic was still there, it would not let me change properties and dump into the recycle bin from the top level, so I started with the lowest level folder, changing it from hidden, and deleting it, had to do that with each one. Clean boot and that horrid thing was gone. Thank you, thank you, thank you! There ought to be a way to give you five stars for your advice in this forum someplace, giggle. Since there doesn't seem to be one, you can bookmark this post and refer skeptics to it whenever you like. This was THE magic trick. :^) gene

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.