Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

add/remove empty and registry popup

by Lisa / April 7, 2006 5:32 AM PDT

I havnt seen able to look at the comp yet- but its win98 plus- avg, adaware, spybot, za- all up to date- all windpws criticals done- this morning sister booted up the icons were huge- likein safe mode but not- and the add new hardwre wizard pops up- the add remove is empty- i was thinking a total reinstall but she doesnt have all her disks and stuff- but at this boot up a pop up said registry had an error , it will fix it and to reboot- when it rebooted is when all this happened- im thinking a hardware failure due to the huge graphics and empty add remove, a possability? im going to have her bring me the machine tonight hopefully- was hoping there was a way to fix it without a total reinstall- im hoping that all the needed files are still in hte machine....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: add/remove empty and registry popup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: add/remove empty and registry popup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You might try this. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 7, 2006 10:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
will try
by Lisa / April 7, 2006 11:24 AM PDT

thank you so much- will try it.

Collapse -
it worked
by Lisa / April 7, 2006 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: will try

took us a bit- she was trying the ctrl method- but at the prompt the S key didnt work- we tried F8 and reverted back to yesturday- thank you- I had no idea you could restore on 98-

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Quite welcome!
by Coryphaeus / April 7, 2006 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: it worked
Collapse -
for the future....
by reefurbb / April 8, 2006 1:01 PM PDT

start-run-mscongig, advanced, enable boot menu.
It will show for 30 sec and then continue booting, or you can hit "enter" to "boot normal". Tweak133 will allow a tweak "always show boot menu" and adjust it for 4 sec. No more trying to hit F8 at the right milllisecond...

Collapse -
Cool
by Lisa / April 8, 2006 4:11 PM PDT
In reply to: for the future....

This will help her quite a bit- she sais" which do i do first the power button or the f8 thingy?"..... by then im banging my head.... thanks so much..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.