Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Add feature to Win95 ?

by augustdroge / February 24, 2004 12:29 PM PST

Win95A&B

Is there a way of adding to Win95, the feature of Win98 & later versions of Windows of being able to left mouse click on taskbar buttons of programs currently running on computer to minimize/maximize them?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Add feature to Win95 ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Add feature to Win95 ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Add feature to Win95 ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2004 9:43 PM PST
In reply to: Add feature to Win95 ?

I'll write yes. The OS in question could be extended at you see when you install the latest IE. But in no uncertain words, I can't test to see what it will take to install such a feature.

You'll have to try what IE adds as well as research with http://www.google.com because there are no more 95' boxes to play with here.

Bob

Collapse -
The latest IE ..
by Kees Bakker / February 24, 2004 10:12 PM PST

for Windows 95 is IE5.5 SP2; IE6 doesn't work on Windows 95. You can't get it from Microsoft anymore, but elsewhere on the net it's still available.
I'll have a look tonight when at home, because it's exactly what I got there: Win 95 OSR2 + IE5.5 SP2.
I'll let you know, so better wait before downloading those 80 Mb.

It's a totally new feature for me (minimizing and maximizing with a right click in the taskbar, even on Win 98 and XP), so I can't tell you right now.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:The latest IE. -> For Windows 95 this presents a problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2004 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: The latest IE ..

When the leak occured of Microsoft source code, it lead to a discovery in versions prior to IE 6 about an EXPLOIT using a BITMAP.

As such, I'd see if you can install some other browser and avoid using IE until the machine moved on. Mozilla is my choice, you can make yours.

Read the discussion about this at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=12796&start=0

Bob

Collapse -
As for me ..
by Kees Bakker / February 24, 2004 11:19 PM PST

Bob,

My Win 95 PC is a little bit more than 6 years old, has 32 Mb RAM, and can be extended to 48 Mb maximum, if and only if I can find the right type 32 Mb RAM somewhere second-hand (new is no longer available).

I tried Mozilla Firebird and the hard disk rattles so much more then with IE it just didn't seem feasible, even without an antivirus-program running, which is a risk already.
It might be time for a new machine. But as long as it works, I don't know ...

Thanks for the advice, however. It might help August more than it helps me.

Kees

Collapse -
For you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2004 12:28 AM PST
In reply to: As for me ..

Imagine my i200mmx with 64M or more memory (can't remember it since it's been how long since I booted it) in some micro bookshelf box that can take SDRAM and has ethernet, modem and all that, but nobody will steal it.

Imagine there are a few other browser choices at http://browsers.evolt.org/

Bob

Collapse -
Sims 32 or 72 and . .
by Cursorcowboy / February 25, 2004 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: As for me ..

where in the "world" are you?

There are two types of memory modules that are used. A Single In-Line Memory Module (SIMM) consists of a printed circuit board with a single row of contact points (i.e. the part of the module that goes into the socket to establish contact with the main computer board) and a number of DRAM chips. The number and type of DRAM chips on the module determines the capacity of the module. There are two types of SIMMs: 30-pin and 72-pin. The 30-pin SIMMs are used on computers whose CPU transmit data 8 bits at a time. The 72-pin SIMMs are used on computers which transmit data in groups of 32 bits.

With the advent of the Pentium processor, which transmits data in 64-bit chunks, it became necessary to install 72-pin SIMMs in pairs. To eliminate this roadblock, the Dual In-Line Memory Module (DIMM) was developed. DIMMs differ from SIMMs in that they have contact points on both sides of the board. DIMMs are 168-pin memory modules.

Bill Gaston

Collapse -
Old, but not so old.
by Kees Bakker / February 25, 2004 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: Sims 32 or 72 and . .

Compaq Presario 2240 (dec 1997). Needs a 32 MB SDRAM 66 Mhz 100-pin DIMM memory module. Additional specs: EDO, non-buffered, non-parity, 3.3V. Part-number 260661-821. This comes from a former Compaq-site.

100 pin is curious, searching for alternatives I get the strong impression it should be 168 indeed.

Kingston says: no more memory modules KTC-P4800/32 for Presario 2240. But I found an alternative (refurbished, $19.99), and something on our local 'marktplaats.nl' (which is equivalent to ebay). I think I'll buy it. Will make a big difference, I think. Thanks a lot for your information. This discussion finally pushed me forward doing it.

Kees

Collapse -
NT -- Okay. Not so old as me but a ''Compaq Presario'', can't help.
by Cursorcowboy / February 25, 2004 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: Old, but not so old.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Add feature to Win95 ?
by Kees Bakker / February 25, 2004 4:38 AM PST

Indeed, Windows 95 OSR2 combined with IE5.5SP2 does have the right click on taskbar icon feature to minimize/maximize/move.

As Bob indicated, you can get the program from http://browsers.evolt.org. It's 80 Mb. Don't forget to download the latest (nov 2003, I think) cumulative security patch from download.microsoft.com.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?