Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Add AT&T to the list

by Mike_Hanks / March 26, 2010 10:33 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Add AT&T to the list
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Add AT&T to the list
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
While AT&T World Net
by Angeline Booher / March 27, 2010 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Add AT&T to the list

......... is going to charge a set monthly fee for unlimited usage. I have kept the service on my W95 for backup. ad was being charged $9.9s for a short usage time, down from the &21.95 I had been paying since joining in '97.

Now they are moving everybody to the new service. But the CD they sent will not run on my old computer ("missing kernel") and, as kernel problems were common when I used it, it just isn''t worth it to trouble-shoot. The same, of course, prevents me from downloading it from their site.

Perhaps the ial-up community has dwindled too much to keep it going for an extended time. But I always liked the AT&T site, though I probably haven;t used it more than a total of 2 hours since being on cable for so long. It was handy when I moved, and it would take a while for the cable to be run.

They did win in their bid to use the existing cable lines here, but I have not seen or heard more about that.

I don't know how much the alternative phone services have hurt their phone business, but I suspect it is nothing to sneeze at.

Angelne

Collapse -
It was never necessary to use a CD
by Steven Haninger / March 27, 2010 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: While AT&T World Net

from any dial up provider. All you should need to do is create the new connection manually by inputting the proper phone # and then getting the username/password correct during the first dial-up attempt. If you don't get a connection failure of some type, the information can be saved. You've never needed the ISPs browser and I would never use it. I don't know what works with Win 95 other than some old version of IE and, of course, Netscape. I don't see too many PC that come telephone type modems anymore. I still have an old US Robotics Courier external which has been parked for a number of years. It uses a serial port and even these seem to be on the way out. I was forced to go broadband when my dial-up service speed was cut in half several years ago after some kind of equipment upgrades? I could never go back to dial up.

Collapse -
I tried
by Angeline Booher / March 27, 2010 4:04 AM PDT

....... the access number that has been unchanged for years. No go.

The info I received said WorldNet is being replaced by ATT Dial Services, so the access numbers could already be gone and replaced. It also said to remove the WorldNet program. Shoot, I still have Eudora on that machine. It didn't ever interfere with anything. Happy

But I realize, also, that the W95 machine has who nows what problems that would drive me to distraction if I had to use it much. Not worth it to go through the hassle.

Maybe just maybe, their focus will be on their broadband, and on their new cabbie-delivered broadband.

I knew that my cable provider did not require the installation of their software.

I appreciate your comments and advice. Thanks!

Angeline

Collapse -
Juno and Netzero
by James Denison / March 29, 2010 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: I tried

Phone numbers nationwide and about $10 for unlimited service. Good for a backup internet service, such as when your broadband service has some interruption. Great for on the road use since there are local number access to it almost everywhere. If the motel you stay at doesn't have open access wireless, or you want a more secure connection through dialup, paying $10 per month isn't too bad. I was in Ocean City, Md. this weekend, but didn't need it for backup since the motel had an open access signal I was able to access wirelessly to read email. I hate laptops, so only use one on the road for absolutely necessary things.

Collapse -
Do those give access?
by Angeline Booher / March 30, 2010 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Juno and Netzero

By that, I mean, if I don't have an ISP does, say, Juno, allow access to their service?

I assume that Hotmail does not have a free service withput an ISP on board.

What concerns me about Juno is spam/

Forgery netscape. It cannibalized my PC when I had it.

I have this ISP on that old machine, so it would be easy to just set up a router. But there would be no advantage because it the broadband went down, so would it on the old one.

It is that missing kernel that was there the last time I used AT&T a few months ago that is the stumbling block. I am just too old to do any more Windows trouble shooting.

I appreciate you advice, James.

Angeline

Collapse -
both are same company now
by James Denison / March 30, 2010 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Do those give access?

With so many of the old dialup ISP's either failed or gone to broadband almost exlusively, the Juno and Netzero, which are really one and the same company, having merged, have sort of become the default national dialup system.

http://www.juno.com/
http://www.netzero.net/

Terms are identical. They still offer "free" dialup too, for those very lite "email only" type of users, probably still with the banner ads. They used to have proprietary software, but now just use the standard browsers and webmail for paid service, I think the free still uses the software. If you go with unlimited for $10-12 per month you can use an email client for POP service too. The main advantage is you can travel almost anywhere in the US and still find a local phone number to access their service through. Just in Tennessee there's about 220 local phone numbers across the state.

Before hotels offered wireless broadband, if I knew where I'd be staying I'd get a list of the local numbers before I left. If I had to stop on road elsewhere, I'd dial long distance to my usual connection, long enough to download the local access numbers where I was, then hang up and dial one of those for longer use. Usually I'd just download a list of all local numbers for the state I expected to be in.

Collapse -
check access availability where you want to use it.
by James Denison / March 30, 2010 4:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
I feel badly, ames
by Angeline Booher / March 30, 2010 6:07 AM PDT

You took a goodly amount of time and trouble on this.

I turned on the W95 machine again, and looked for some files/folders I wanted to see in Find. There they were, but they could not be opened because Windows couldn't find FTW.EXE. I tried to locate it, but no luck.

To make a long story short, I could not access anything on that computer. I wonder if it was infected as the anti-virus program was out of date.

I also noticed there was no notice of the time change to DST.

It is amazing how clear and bright that monitor still is. It has been a good old friend, and I will miss it sitting in the corner.

I have noted the links and saved them in case I ever need them.

Angeline

Collapse -
Upgrade it to win98
by James Denison / March 30, 2010 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: I feel badly, ames
Collapse -
Worst pruning ever
by Mike_Hanks / March 29, 2010 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: While AT&T World Net

Not on topic at all

Collapse -
RE: Can't help but notice a pattern
by JP Bill / March 29, 2010 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Add AT&T to the list

me neither...all the big corporations are jumping on the bandwagon.....

Collapse -
more like shoved...
by James Denison / March 29, 2010 5:01 AM PDT

....onto the train tracks, but the health care bill.

Collapse -
Quit their whining
by JP Bill / March 29, 2010 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: more like shoved...
Many of AT&T's roughly 283,000 employees, though, are covered by union contracts that don't expire for a few years, meaning any changes in benefits won't happen immediately.

AT&T said in its 2009 annual report that it expects to receive more than $1.6 billion in Medicare subsidies from 2010 through 2019.

Also Friday, AT&T said it will pay a quarterly dividend of 42 cents a share May 3 to stockholders of record at the close of business April 9.

Shares of AT&T gained 9 cents Friday to close at $26.24.

Won't happen immediately, years down the road.....Still paying same dividend......Shares gained after they cried about increased costs (or should I say less subsidies)? Shouldn't they have gone down on "bad economic news"?

They're not whining about what they have to pay, they're whining about what they won't receive.
Collapse -
Not bad...
by J. Vega / March 29, 2010 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Quit their whining

That's not a bad dividend, it works out to a dividend yield of 6.33%. Of course, something might change it in the dividend periods after May 3. If there is something that might, I'd like to consider it before I invested.

Collapse -
That's not a bad dividend,
by JP Bill / March 29, 2010 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Not bad...

something might change it in the dividend periods after May 3. If there is something that might, I'd like to consider it before I invested.

good for you.

And since everyone is in the same boat (on the same bandwagon), where would you put your money?...in a sock, under your mattress, somewhere that has no employees and pays no healthcare??

Collapse -
Where I would put my money...
by J. Vega / March 29, 2010 6:42 AM PDT

What I already have invested is staying where it is right now. I have accumulated some more that I want to invest. I'm waiting and holding it in the bank until I see what happens in the upcoming election. I was considering Con Ed (Consolidated Edison)for the dividends, but am waiting until after the election because of what might happen if Cap and Trade goes through. The possibility of it doing so depends on the outcome of those elections, in my opinion.

Collapse -
Probably invest in China
by James Denison / March 29, 2010 7:17 PM PDT

Lately they are making all the right moves. They are more capitalist than America now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?