Computer Help forum

General discussion

Add and Remove Programs

by grin_n_bare / June 4, 2006 1:32 PM PDT

Running XP Pro SP2

Entries keep disappearing from Add and Remove Programs. Right now there are four in there. I have not been able to determine what is doing it. It has happened three time now in two days. So far I've been using System restore but I need to find out what's causing this to happen.

Last night after a system restore I installed Zone Alarm (for 2nd time) and A&R Programs was fine after that and this morning. This morning I installed Sypbot Search & Destroy and A&R Programs were fine afterward and later.

A while ago I opened A&R Programs and all but four are missing again.

I have googled the problem and there seems to be a gadzillion solutions none of which seem to apply to me or the person that asked for help.

Does anyone here really know what causes this to happen and how to fix it?

Something I'm curious about, one person said their entries were gone and they uninstall some type game updater and the entries returned! Am I to understand that although the programs are not showing in the applet they actually are ''somewhere'' and not really gone? Can they be restored without doing a system restore?

Thanks for any help.

Happy Grin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Add and Remove Programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Add and Remove Programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Add and Remove Programs
by tomron / June 4, 2006 1:53 PM PDT

Maybe you can search.

The Add/Remove Programs file is appwiz.cpl and is opened by Control Panel, through some mysterious process. Its location: C:\Windows\system32

There may also be a backed-up copy in:
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
Or, you might try replacing it with the file from your
installation CD, though, if you've applied Service Packs,that one may be outdated for your present installation.Still, it might work anyway, as a last resort.

You can always run a search on your C: drive for the
appwiz.cpl file, and see what other copies you can find,and compare their size and date with the one in system32.

Check this LINK

Tom

Collapse -
Registry change and file replacement
by grin_n_bare / June 4, 2006 5:33 PM PDT

Hi tomron. I has also found this info and unless I looked in the wrong places neither resolved my problem.

The registry hack: No folders, one entry to the right.
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/9613/screenshot0300zx.jpg

Results of trying to paste a new copy of the file to System32, I would change the name and before I got back with the new copy there was already a new copy there! Finally I pasted anyway and said yes replace. LOL Now I have three instances of Add and Remove Programs none of which work. Rebooted too.

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/9797/screenshot0317ms.jpg

Collapse -
In the mean time...
by tomron / June 5, 2006 3:07 AM PDT

until a solution is found you can install THIS

Add-Remove Pro This free tool shows you want is in the Add-Remove Programs list, which entries are valid, and allows you to uninstall or remove any entry.

Tom

Collapse -
Thanks, Tom
by grin_n_bare / June 5, 2006 2:25 PM PDT
In reply to: In the mean time...

I installed Add-Remove Pro however shows the same list as the Add and Remove Programs in the Control Panels. Four programs that's all. For now I'm leaving it as it is, no point in doing a system restore it will only happen again. I've put the XP aside for now and will go on with my life. Maybe one day they will discover a cure for the terrible desease it has. LOL

Thank you, Tom, for your help.

Happy Grin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanx for posting back
by tomron / June 5, 2006 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Tom
Collapse -
Maybe a solution
by tomron / June 6, 2006 2:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Tom

the specific app that handles add/remove is \system32\appwiz.cpl

Try renaming that file to appwiz.cpl-old, wait a few seconds, and then double-click the new version that should have showed up.

Tom

Collapse -
Nope, fraid not. :-(
by grin_n_bare / June 7, 2006 5:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe a solution

I guess it's like someone said, once they are gone they are gone.

Question is, what makes them go?

Happy Grin

Collapse -
Grin
by tomron / June 8, 2006 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope, fraid not. :-(

Heres a LINK that might help,looks like alot of work.

Don't know why they are missing,maybe something changed in the registry,such as if you used a reg cleaner and inadvertanly deleted something.

Tom

Collapse -
You know that just might do it!
by grin_n_bare / June 8, 2006 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Grin

With all that finagling something's bound to happen! LOL No kidding, those instructions sound pretty good.

I did use registry cleaner and I also thought that could be the problem but after doing a system restore I again cleaned the registry with the same program and tested it afterward with a full reboot and everything was fine.

I think it may be some thing else they mention, the removal/uninstall of a program. There were several on the PC that needed to go, like GatorWallet. Some were only partials, had missing files, I have no idea what the person that owned this PC was doing!, and those took some doing to remove. One such was Symantec, bits and pieces only, would not uninstall. Fortunately the Symantec site gives step by step directions to remove any and all bits and pieces of Norton and Symantec. And it worked GREAT although that was jumping through some hoops also! Everything was fine after that removal. Must have been one of the other programs

I think that link you provided may do the trick and like you say it's a lot of work but very doable, will just take a bit of time. Next time I have the XP hooked up I'm going to give it a try and will let you know the results.

Thank you, Tom, for your help and effort, I really appreciate it. I didn't run across that site in my searching around. Most techs will just say wipe it and do a fresh install but you don't learn anything that way. I like to find solutions if at all possible.

Happy Grin

Collapse -
Grin.. I found someone in a ''somewhat'' similar situation..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / June 4, 2006 3:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yes, I've gone over these before

But went over them again, didn't help. The problem this person has is somewhat different from mine.

Geez, it seems like everyone's problems are different from mine. I guess I'll go for another system restore soon but that is not a good solution.

Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.