Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Add a partition without reformatting

hi all,

i've just put a new drive in my compaq presario2500 laptop and reinstalled xp from the compaq factory disks. there is no option to partition the drive before it just goes ahead and automatically installs everything.

i have tried installing from another xp disk i have, but that does not contain any of the drivers or the free software pack that came with the computer.

so i need to know, how can i add a partition to an already formatted drive with xp sp2 on it.

for the past eight hours i've searched google and download.com and i've already tried several programs that say they can do this but they either wont create a partition on an ntfs drive, or they wont create a partition on a drive containing the os, or they will only do such an operation in pure msdos mode which as far as i know is not possible with xp.
starting to feel like i'm getting an anurism now, anyone help?
big thanks
russ

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Add a partition without reformatting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Add a partition without reformatting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few comments.

In reply to: Add a partition without reformatting

"Add a partition without reformatting"

That's an interesting proposal. While I can add a drive, create a partition, then new partition is not usable by Windows until I format the new partition. The answer is "Yes, you could do that."

"i've just put a new drive in my compaq presario2500 laptop and reinstalled xp from the compaq factory disks. there is no option to partition the drive before it just goes ahead and automatically installs everything."

That's proper. The reason is simple. HP's support of said machine would be overwhelmed if they allowed all the options you get with the full retail version of this OS. Nothing is wrong here.

"i have tried installing from another xp disk i have, but that does not contain any of the drivers or the free software pack that came with the computer."

Again, entirely proper. Microsoft provides very few drivers. Installing the retail XP onto a laptop is nearly "GURU" class work.

"so i need to know, how can i add a partition to an already formatted drive with xp sp2 on it."

Unlikely since the HP/Compaq software likely left no spare space to create said partition.

-> Why do this? Since all the space is ready to use and you can keep your files all tidy in their own directories. You didn't tell what the goal was.

In closing, there is partition magic. But do tell why one would do this.

Bob

Collapse -
I'm lazy but tidy.

In reply to: A few comments.

hi bob,
thanks for your reply,
the main reason i wanted to partition is so i can keep one partition purely for the system and another for the rest of my junk. in the past i've just found it easier to backup and restore if i keep things separated.
partition magic - thats symantec right? i looked at that but couldnt work out from the description if it would definately create a ntfs partition rather than only adjust ones already created, and at

Collapse -
I'm tidy and don't use that partition method.

In reply to: I'm lazy but tidy.

It has far too many problems. For one, you can't safely share disk space or move empty space from partition to partition without any risk. The use of a subdirectory works today, and I can back it up without worry.

"the main reason i wanted to partition is so i can keep one partition purely for the system and another for the rest of my junk. in the past i've just found it easier to backup and restore if i keep things separated."

A subdirectory does this...

"partition magic - thats symantec right? i looked at that but couldnt work out from the description if it would definately create a ntfs partition rather than only adjust ones already created, and at

Collapse -
never partition?

In reply to: I'm tidy and don't use that partition method.

so you never partition your drives and wouldn't recommend it? that kinda goes against what several IT guys have told me but i'm very willing to have my mind changed on this subject as it'll make life easier (and cheaper) for me. thanks bob

Collapse -
I did partition.

In reply to: never partition?

That's how this OS works. You need at least one partition.

If you feel it's worth the risk and pain of creating more partition, please go right ahead.

I wonder how you'll strike a balance of how much space to give the OS and what to do when one is too low. The fallout I've seem for years is that the owner keeps juggling (with partition magic) and one day something bad happens. Just read these forums for such discussions.

My feelings are that simple works just fine. And any IT staffer that wants you to do this should feel the full support load of your issues and getting your files back.

Bob

Collapse -
there are 2 schools of thought

In reply to: never partition?

on the subject:
1...partition and when you have a problem, just format C;

2...why bother to partition when a failed partion (in scenario 1) is usually a sign of a failing hard disk?

1...is good IF the problem is with the OS and NOT the hard disk itself...

2...is good in that if you organise your folders properly (some people reccomend calling the folders "D" "E" "F" etc) your C; will always accomodate your OS and any programs you wish to install...

jonah

Collapse -
check out this article, it may save you money....

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: check out this article, it may save you money....

thanks jj,
an interesting article, however this utility isn't able to add a secondary partition to an already formatted ntfs drive containing win xp, or at least it wouldn't let me do it.
the more i read on the subject the more my head hurts, as with so many of these issues there are so many different points of view, and most people are sure that their theory is the best.
thanks again for your interest,
russ

Collapse -
The answer is...

In reply to: thanks

Partition Magic.

For what you're wanting to attempt. It's the answer.

For me, I'll just keep my stuff in it's own directory and since I back that up... Nothing much more to do.

Bob

Collapse -
Rather than Partition Magic...

you could do what you want to do cheaper by investing in VCOM Partition Commander? (includes Copy Commander? to transfer all the contents from one drive to another, automatically) at $49.95 US
http://www.v-com.com/product/Partition_Commander_Quick_Tour.html

I have used both Partition Commander and Partition Magic and both do the same job but Partition Commander does it cheaper.

Collapse -
Buying partition magic

I wanted to re-partition a hard drive so decided to buy partition magic on ebay for

Collapse -
Free Partition Software assist you partition hard drive

To partition a new hard drive, you could use some partition software, such as partition maigc, Partition Assistant and so on, you could download the freeware Partition Assistant Home Edtition from CNET if your Windows XP is 32 Bit.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.