Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Adaware questions

by grandpaw7 / September 2, 2004 1:26 AM PDT

I just ran adaware. The big majority of items it found had whenu as the vendor. After adaware removed what it found and did Find on whenu. It came up wtih several whenu entries, including a program folder entry. However, when I opened that folder there was nothing in it. I have deleted these items. But I'm just wondering if there are certain items that Adaware removes on which a person should then use Find to locate folders and files which are still in the computer? I suppose having the items in the compute poses no problem since the program folder is empty but perhaps it is good to get rid of the stuff?

Also, though I didn't choose to quarantines, as least consciously, dAware ended up show 209 objects removed and 211 objects in quarantine. Shouldn't I just have the quarantine removed? Are there times when I shouldn't have quarantine items removed?

While I'm at it, Adaware provides quite a number of options of various kinds. I don't make use of any. Should I be making some kind of use of some of them, or are they just for gurus and geeks?

grandpaw

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adaware questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adaware questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
great tutorial on AdAwareSE
by LarryD / September 2, 2004 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Adaware questions
Collapse -
Re: Adaware questions
by J. / September 2, 2004 4:19 AM PDT

Hi Happy

All of the following are free and well worth having on your computer ... be if for empty folders or just to be sure you're covered while "surfing".

Cheers
J.
===============================================

http://www.ccleaner.com
Actual name is ?CRAP CLEANER? ? wouldn?t have been my first choice either, LOL - but program works very, very well for cleaning ?bits? that are left around. Such as temp files, empty folders from v-scan, or what?s left after uninstalling programs [this one is under the ?issues? tab]

http://www.webroot.com
SPYSWEEPER is an anti-spy program, like the one you?re using. It?s good to have & run more than one since occasionally one program will catch something another program misses.
NOTE ? this one doesn?t provide updates unless you sign up for the service, so you have only the spyware definitions they include at the time you download ? even so, it?s worth having.

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
AVG is an anti-v program. As above, it?s good to have & run various programs to ensure that nothing is missed.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
(if it shows as 2 lines in post - so ensure you highlight all of it & then cut & paste)
PANDASCAN is another anti-v program but you do it online (I go once a week). Again, it simply ensures you are covered ?six ways to Sunday? :-).

Collapse -
Re: Adaware questions
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 2, 2004 8:58 AM PDT

Grandpaw,

It's not going to harm the computer to delete empty folders such as the ones you refer to, but it's not really required that you go looking for them. An empty folder shouldn't cause a problem.

After Ad-Aware quarantines an item, make sure to connect to the internet and generally test some of your programs. As mentioned earlier, I also try to eliminate the Quarantined items as soon as possible, but sometimes" the removal can affect internet connections. In those cases, you may need to restore the quarantined item temporarily. As soon as you can assure yourself that the removals have caused no damage, clean out the quarantine folder.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.