Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

adaware 2007 buggy

by walter1289 / June 7, 2007 9:44 AM PDT

im sticking to the old version as it hungup and took forever to scan after 3 attempts i killed it and reverted back to old

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: adaware 2007 buggy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: adaware 2007 buggy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some users will wait for some weeks
by Donna Buenaventura / June 7, 2007 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: adaware 2007 buggy

before they will try the new version of Ad-Aware. Some will use Ad-Aware SE until Lavasoft stop support.

Collapse -
my only concern is
by dawillie / June 7, 2007 10:55 PM PDT

the 'custom scan' option does not seem to be available.

now it scans all 3 hard drives even though the 'C' is where O/S is and the other two are storage drives.

Apparently the 'custom scan' is now a paid version option.

Collapse -
Yes David. Custom scan has been removed
by Donna Buenaventura / June 7, 2007 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: my only concern is

Only Pro and Plus customers has the options for Custom Scanning Sad

I think Free users who has more than 1 partition or hard-drive should:
Run full scan bi-monthly then only run a quickscan weekly or whenever they want to run a quick scan to save time.

If user has external storage devices, they can turn it off temporarily so running full scan with Ad-Aware or any other security tool will not see the external storage drives.

Collapse -
thank you Donna
by dawillie / June 8, 2007 12:18 AM PDT

by any chance to do you have link for the older version.

this new one is blocking certain sites so have uninstalled it.

thank you

Collapse -
David, try to get it from
by Donna Buenaventura / June 8, 2007 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you Donna
Collapse -
The new version is definitely slower
by tomron / June 7, 2007 3:35 PM PDT

but then it is probably doing a more thorough job.

My scan clocked out at 21:48

I downloaded it from major geeks,where did you?

Tom

Collapse -
(NT) from lavasoft
by walter1289 / June 7, 2007 11:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
As always...
by darkdestiny7 / June 8, 2007 7:24 PM PDT
In reply to: from lavasoft

Companies like Lavasoft are always encouraging people, who are using free versions of the security software, to buy their products. Thus the disabling of the custom scan.

But I've seen quite a difference between the 2 versions. Thing is, is Ad-Aware 2007 much better in protecting computers from spyware?

There's one thing I wonder: which of the free downloads of Ad-Aware 1.06r1 and Ad-Aware 2007 are better off for users?

Collapse -
Ad-aware users has no choice
by Donna Buenaventura / June 8, 2007 8:53 PM PDT
In reply to: As always...

When Lavasoft stopped support and updates for Ad-Aware SE, users need to use Ad-Aware 2007.

Ad-aware SE is still supported but when the support is finished, you need to install the new version.

Some users don't like the software as a service with Ad-aware 2007 while others have no issue with it.

Collapse -
It works fine for me. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 10, 2007 6:27 AM PDT

Did you remove the old version before installing the new, you're supposed to? I installed in on a home built running XP, an IBM ThinkCenter fast desktop running XP Pro, and an IBM R-40 laptop running XP Pro. Zero problem, fast scan, fast updates. It looks good to me.

Collapse -
removing SE 1.06
by Rich D. / June 11, 2007 6:36 AM PDT

Ad Aware 2007 overwrites SE 1.06 so removal is not nec.

Collapse -
(NT) Not according to the site install instructions.
by Coryphaeus / June 11, 2007 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: removing SE 1.06
Collapse -
Wayne
by phil66 / June 11, 2007 11:01 AM PDT

Downloaded Adaware 2007 from Mahor Geeks right over se personnal

2007 erased all signs of se in program files and registry only thing left was the desktop shortcut

FyI

Ray

Collapse -
Running OK Here On Half-a-Dozen Machines...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 10, 2007 7:02 AM PDT

I find it important to tailor the settings to your particular needs.. For example, it's now "default" to check for MRU (Most Recently Used) items in the registry.. That can be disabled by most as it's nothing more than a "tracks" discovery. Likewise, some may choose NOT have it scan the HOSTS file.

The scan does seem to take a little longer but the more things you remove from the scan, the quicker it goes.. Likewise, after the first updated which changed the Def file and the actual program file, I've seen no issues here.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Can't Update!
by darkdestiny7 / June 10, 2007 9:12 AM PDT

I've not been able to update my definition files for a while. Anyone knows how to fix that?

Collapse -
The Last Update Here Was A Couple Of Days Ago..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 10, 2007 1:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Can't Update!

June 8....

The "Details" for the update indicate as below:

Detection Database Details
Number of families: 1122
Number of Fingerprints: 7671
Number of reg entries: 25454
Total Number of Signatures: 81909

Is your's the same? If so, it's normal.. Ad-Aware has never updated daily.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif is right. It does not have daily update (unless ...
by Donna Buenaventura / June 10, 2007 2:35 PM PDT

they have to fix a false positive or add or delete that was released previous day).

Current defs for Ad-aware 2007 is 0002.0001
Definitions details is in Grif's post.

Collapse -
Still unable to update
by darkdestiny7 / June 10, 2007 7:55 PM PDT

It appears that I can't fix the problem. I'm reinstalling the program.

Collapse -
Update
by UKposter / June 11, 2007 9:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Still unable to update

I got a new update this morning.

I've found this new version to be slower when doing a full scan, than the previous version, but that's not always a bad thing, maybe it's a more thorough scan, the scan can be speeded up by altering the scan settings.

The custom scan is now only available for the full paid version.

Collapse -
I'm using SE 1.06
by darkdestiny7 / June 11, 2007 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Update

until they remove support. They just had an update in early June.

Collapse -
Ad-Adware
by MRowsey / June 14, 2007 12:54 AM PDT

As I mentioned earlier, "very buggy", especially when running more than one machine on multiple licenses. I am just as frustrated as you, with no solution, and support taking 2 days to answer, with answers that usually do not help. Maybe it is time to quit wasting my time.
Best of luck

Collapse -
Running OK
by Rich D. / June 11, 2007 11:24 AM PDT

Thanks for the settings advice. I'm running 2007 on 3 laptops and two PC's with no problems. I do however think it could use a little tweaking on some appts., but I'm sure that will come in time.

By the way 2007 did over write previous version, no delete nec.

Collapse -
Crashing
by Hash9 / June 10, 2007 8:12 PM PDT

My SEplus developed a bad habit of freezing when deep scanning registry.
So I got the 2007 - but it crashes over and over.

Went back to SE, the devil I know aso.

Any ideas why - used Ad-Aware for many years without any problems whatsoever,
Weird..

Collapse -
For anyone that would like to
by roddy32 / June 10, 2007 10:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
I find it incredible ..
by Nev / June 11, 2007 3:49 AM PDT

... that after many weeks of widely advertised invitations to Beta test version after version of the 2007 edition .. no doubt taken up by many members of the public from all over the world .. it has been released with so many perceived problems.

Did Lavasoft take any notice of the testers' findings and suggestions or address the faults that were found, or was it just a publicity stunt?

I'm sticking with the previous version until they fix this one properly.

Cheers

Nev.

Collapse -
Ad-Aware 2007
by MRowsey / June 11, 2007 5:23 AM PDT

Buggy? Only Buggy? How about so unfunctional that almost any site is considered "not acceptable", that I have to exit it to get most sites to load. Ya, they gave me a good deal, but I should always remember, "you get what you pay for."
details4man

Collapse -
I Agree Walter
by steve l / June 11, 2007 5:42 AM PDT

I am a big fan of the old Adaware se but this new one is very buggy its been released to early if you ask me I tried a few of the beta versions and this new release is no different to them. I have also gone back to the old one.

Collapse -
New Ad-Aware- Actually very good....
by James W. Mahan / June 13, 2007 11:32 PM PDT

I have been using the free ad-aware for years with out any real problems and felt that...... rather than make a contribution, I would upgrade to the new plus version. I am sure everyone has there own opinions, but I am happy with my results. I downloaded the plus version directly from Lava Soft and it was quick and without any problems at all.
As far as the time to scan, well it seems a bit longer, however it is checking quite a bit more. Furthermore, it is live monitoring and comes with the ad-watch.
I am totally satisfied and after 4 years of free service, $21. for 1 year is O.K. with me, and not buggy at all.

Collapse -
there's always a better antispyware product out there, but..
by darkdestiny7 / June 13, 2007 11:50 PM PDT

This new version of Ad-Aware alone is already quite great on people's fingertips. Wish I could upgrade too the plus version, but I'm currently not allowed to make that decision.

Appears that Ad-Aware 2007 can also clear up IE, Opera and Firefox cookies, cache etc.

Having a little problem with the update still, although it appears to update automatically once started up.

Collapse -
Just recently wrote a review
by darkdestiny7 / June 15, 2007 11:39 AM PDT

on Ad-Aware 2007. Lavasoft had placed a newer version of the software after fixing some bugs.

However, there's no good piece of news for my review. Most negative feedbacks (1 or 2 stars) got about 100% users agree that it's helpful, while few good comments like mine got about 0 out of 1 agree with me.

Of course, no one expects a new product to be excellent, right? It will always be a matter of months before most of the bug fixes or flaws got fixed.

I think I'll stick to SE 1.06 until the fixes are done on the new version.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?