General discussion

adapter default....meaning

my latop's refresh setting is at "adapter default". there are two options,,,adapter default and optimal.

i'd like to connect this laptop to a tv and use the tv screen as a monitor, but, of course, the refresh rate must be 60hz. what specifically are adapter default and optimal, and do they accomodate different screens, or are they totally not compatable to a 60hz tv screen?

thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: adapter default....meaning
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: adapter default....meaning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
re: adapter default

I'm sure this is very dependent on the machine you have. It would be best to contact the helpdesk of the maker for what these settings exactly do.
However, if there isn't a TV-out connection, I doubt if you will ever succeed.

Tell the forum make and model and maybe somebody will know the details you requested.

Kees

- Collapse -
Addition
- Collapse -
it's an old sony

it's an old sony laptop that DOES have a monitor vga port. i'll cal sony. never thought of it

- Collapse -
Other Considerations

You might also have to go into the BIO's and make sure the setting in there is correct. Usually it is something like "LCD", "External Monitor" and "Both".
If it has Windows XP in it, and it is running the XP default video drivers, you may not have all the settings you need to do this. Find out what video chip you have and make sure the latest drivers are installed. Then go to "Control Panel", "Display",
"Settings", "Advanced Settings" and (depending on the
laptop) you should have settings for TV, External Monitor, Refresh Rate Overide etc.

CNET Forums

Forum Info