Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Ad-Aware SE Updates Discontinued - March 31, 2009

by roddy32 / March 21, 2009 12:40 AM PDT
Ad-Aware SE Updates Discontinued

[quote]An important notice for any users of our Ad-Aware SE software ?

As of March 31, 2009, technical support and Definitions File updates will be discontinued for Ad-Aware SE Plus, Ad-Aware SE Professional and Ad-Aware SE Enterprise.

If you use Ad-Aware SE, please upgrade to the latest version of Ad-Aware ? Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition ? in order to stay protected from online threats; Definitions File threat updates for Ad-Aware SE will not be issued after the end of the month.

Keep in mind, if you have a valid Ad-Aware SE Plus, Professional or Enterprise license, you are eligible to upgrade to Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition free of charge through the Lavasoft Support Center. If you need a new license, please visit our Ad-Aware product pages. [/quote]

More here with more links
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ad-Aware SE Updates Discontinued - March 31, 2009
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ad-Aware SE Updates Discontinued - March 31, 2009
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thank you, Roddy.......
by michhala / March 21, 2009 10:07 AM PDT

.....for making this a separate post. Although I do go through the updates lists you post, there is a chance I might have missed this.

Collapse -
(NT) Yep, I think many would have missed it.
by roddy32 / March 21, 2009 12:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
I 2ND Those Thans, Roddy32!
by tobeach / March 21, 2009 1:08 PM PDT

I have noted lately that the updates have been a little squirrelly with R#'s jumping about & even the sizes of the defs.ref not sequentially increasing to give firm indicator. Thanks again! Sandy Grin

Collapse -
Does anyone know how to un-install Ad- Aware SE?
by dawillie / March 22, 2009 12:26 PM PDT

I checked my settings > add / remove and found nothing there.

Then on to Program Files> Lavasoft> Ad-Aware SE and found no uninstaller in the folder.

Although the option remains to upgrade to AD- Aware Anniversary Edition, I have concerns that it may be like Ad- Aware 2008 which I installed and then took out, reverting to SE.

Any help / ideas appreciated.

Collapse -
Hi, David! They Don't Have
by tobeach / March 22, 2009 3:26 PM PDT

a removal tool per se but there are some instructions.

First, check start>all programs>lavasoft adaware se>un-install unwise adaware. But BEFORE you do, you must disable all the adaware plugin tools you may have added such a stops for backdoors in OE & messenger, etc. These are within the program under tools etc.

In my Adaware Folder (I have ) (C:>prog.files>Lavasoft) there should be an "unwise. exe", this is the un-installer & it runs the "unregaaw.exe" also located there.

If you do NOT have these, then you'll probably have to either re-install AAW SE from your original & then un-install or try manually.

After that,You'll need to stop the ad-aware service before you try and un-install or delete those files. Make sure you're logged on as an admin.

To do this:

Start > Run > type services.msc > enter > find Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service > right click > aaw.service.exe > click stop.

I worry about just manually un-installing by deleting the folders because of the left over registry changes which might remain. The purpose of the unregaaw.exe.

All findings for removal tool all were for AAW 2007 & later versions.

Hope this helps you. Sandy Happy

Collapse -
Thank you Sandy
by dawillie / March 22, 2009 4:12 PM PDT

I tried the steps you suggested and eventually went back to the folder where I had saved the original executable and re installed or, actually overwrote what was in my Lavasoft folder.

This gave me the uninstall which I promptly ran and got rid of Ad-Aware SE.

Sorry to see it go as I was when I took out an older version of Spy Bot.

Now going with MBAM only.

Unfortunately I have a group letter on Ad- Aware updates and wonder if there is a viable alternative to it, so I can suggest this to the group?

Again my thanks to you for the easy process you described.

Collapse -
Not That I Know, David. I'm Using....
by tobeach / March 23, 2009 4:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you Sandy

MBAM & SAS myself & still have somewhat older version of Spybot(v.160)
which has caused some problems but it got straightened out to the degree that I update it for Definitions ONLY as IF I take the update to the SD Helper or Tea Timer programs,I get crashes. It's on last legs I think. Sad. Mind you I'm running old OS & patches so makes it harder to blend in w/ newer parts of S&D. Suspect their new V.2.0 I won't be able to use at all.

Javacools Spyware Guard & Spyware Blaster are still good programs & don't seem to conflict with any I know of.

I've still got AVG 7.5 free but will change to probably Anti-Vir as soon as no more definitions are available. I'm not recommending new AVG nor new Ad-Aware to those I guide as I STILL see too many problem posts, here, there & everywhere. Again, very sad.

Glad I could help, David! Sandy Grin

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?