Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Ad-Aware SE, detected Coulomb Pron Dialer. Pls. help

Windows XP, Home; I.E.6.0, SP2,

Details:

Deep scanning and examining files C:

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ad-Aware SE, detected Coulomb Pron Dialer. Pls. help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ad-Aware SE, detected Coulomb Pron Dialer. Pls. help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Disable System Restore and re- scan with Ad-Aware.

In reply to: Ad-Aware SE, detected Coulomb Pron Dialer. Pls. help

once done, enable and scan once more, it should be eliminated.

Collapse -
System Restore

In reply to: Disable System Restore and re- scan with Ad-Aware.

When I went to TURN OFF System Restore I got this message:

YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE. IF YOU CONTINUE, ALL EXISTING RESTORE POINTS WILL BE DELETED, AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TRACK OR UNDO CHANGES TO YOUR COMPUTER. DO YOU WANT TO TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE?

I said ''no'' because this is all new to me. Should I turn it off and lose all restore points? Is disabling the same as turning off? If not, how do I disable?

Sorry to be such a dummy. (:

Shirley,

Collapse -
Yes Shirley, the

In reply to: System Restore

reason that David told you to do that is because your first post showed that the malware was located in there.
"Object : C:\System Volume Information\_restore{DDE3EB95-4B24-44D8-AD38-1F974B96C2F0}\RP11\"

Go ahead and disable it and reboot and reenable system restore and then run your scan again it should be gone. When you disable system restore, it removes all the restore points INCLUDING the malware that is located there.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you, Roddy. Just had to be sure. :)

In reply to: Yes Shirley, the

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No problem, let us know how you make out.

In reply to: (NT) Thank you, Roddy. Just had to be sure. :)

Collapse -
Tks. David & Roddy

In reply to: (NT) No problem, let us know how you make out.

I did as you both advised and Ad-Aware didn't find anything.

I appreciate all the help from both of you.

Shirley,

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Shirley, glad we could help. :D

In reply to: Tks. David & Roddy

Collapse -
Additional Info

In reply to: Ad-Aware SE, detected Coulomb Pron Dialer. Pls. help

I went into Ad-Aware, Quarantined Items, for 5/10/05 and here is the entry:

COULOMB DIALER

Collapse -
you cannot find

In reply to: Additional Info

because Ad- Aware has quarantined it. you can clear your quarantine and follow previous post to get clean.

Collapse -
I think you misunderstood

In reply to: you cannot find

I meant I couldn't find the ONLINE SERVICES folder, but I finally did find it in Windows Explorer and deleted PEOPLE PC.

I found out how to disable System Restore and will proceed with your instructions.

Thank you.

Shirley,

Collapse -
glad it all worked out.

In reply to: I think you misunderstood

please come back and browse other posts. is a great way to learn how to keep your PC clean.

david

Collapse -
peoplepc

In reply to: Additional Info

are you using that as your ISP? PeoplePC provides a dialer for connecting to their ISP service. Upon installation that dialer software also injects a toolbar BHO into the users machine. Users cannot setup a dial up networking connection for the first time without loading the PeoplePC dialer as they actual username and password is sent by the dialer on first registration. With peoplePC there is no way to set up a DUN connection right away.
this is usually considered malware/spyware and is generally picked up as it, see link below for further info.

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453088224

Collapse -
No, PeoplePC is not my ISP

In reply to: peoplepc

It was added by HP on this machine along with some other ISP's for easy sign-up, along with a lot of other crap that I have removed. As mentioned above, I have deleted it.

Tks. for the link.

Shirley,

Collapse -
More on PeoplePC

In reply to: peoplepc

>Users cannot setup a dial up networking connection for the first time without loading the PeoplePC dialer as they actual username and >password is sent by the dialer on first registration. With peoplePC there is no way to set up a DUN connection right away.

So once the account is set up, you _could_ use DUN instead of their dialer, right?

I'm thinking of switching to Linux (sick of Windows' "features"), and if I can connect by ordinary Windows DUN, then I ought to be able to dial in from Linux as well.

Just curious,

Tony

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.