Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

ad aware problem

by bently / August 30, 2007 4:40 AM PDT

Just downloaded free Ad Aware 2007 and got the latest updates.

Ran the program and it shows "zero" Critical Objects and "ONE" privacy Objects.
Under SCAN RESULTS, it shows... " FAMILY " " Catagory " " TAI " , nothing else.

Summary of Scan ... total items detected ... ONE

When I click on REMOVE or QUARANTINE, nothing happens.

I ran the scan 3 different times, get the same results.

Not sure what the Privacy Objects is, or how to get rid of it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ad aware problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ad aware problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: AAW Problem
by Carol~ Moderator / August 30, 2007 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: ad aware problem

Hi Ben..

In answer to your question, as to how to get rid of the Privacy Objects. If you wish to do so, you can set AAW to ignore the MRU objects. Under the Scanning Tab>Scanning Options, uncheck "Scan MRU Objects". You're also able to have AAW ignore tracking cookies in the same manner, but I'd suggest you keep them scanned, if I were you. It's up to you! Wink

Carol

Collapse -
can not remove MRU using Ad Aware
by bently / August 30, 2007 1:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: AAW Problem

Thanks for the reply tomron & Carol,

My concern is that I can NOT delete the detected item in Ad Aware. As mentioned earlier, when I click on delete or quarantine, NOTHING happens.

I was using the earlier version of Ad Aware and never had a problem removing detected items.

Thanks

Ben

Collapse -
Maybe this could help?
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 30, 2007 2:22 PM PDT
Collapse -
This may also help..
by Carol~ Moderator / August 31, 2007 2:27 PM PDT

Ben..

Scroll down to where you see #13 - #15 below the picture of the Privacy Objects tab:

13 - If there are Privacy Objects listed, select all objects found (right click anywhere in the list of found objects and click "Select All Objects"). Select Add to ignore or Remove..

14 - Click Remove.

15 - If no Privacy Objects are found, click the Log File tab to see the statistics of the Ad-Aware 2007 Free scan.

I don't see anything that says "delete or quarantine", unless you used the terms loosely, or I'm misunderstanding you. Confused I see "Quarantine & Ignore" on the left side of the window, but I don't see how that would relate to taking an action. It looks to me, as if you aren't given an option to quarantine a MRU object or a cookie, which might make sense. Give a look and see what you think. I'm not using 2007, so I can't look at it myself.

http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=21479

Carol

Collapse -
thanks to all...
by bently / September 1, 2007 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: This may also help..

Appreciate all the advice. AND THE LINK!

I did another update and then the features needed became available. Before the last update everything was locked up.

Seems to be working properly now.

Thanks again.

Ben

Collapse -
Bug
by javagorilla / September 2, 2007 7:37 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks to all...

Ad-Aware 2007 still has a few bugs ( first versions of it ) so make sure you update everyday for improvements !!

Collapse -
Problem Removing Items With The New Ad-Aware
by yes746 / September 2, 2007 9:13 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks to all...

It might be a good idea to use more then one program. In adition to using Ad-Aware I use SpywareBlaster,Spybot-Search And Destroy,AOL Spyware Protection & Norton System Works. (All Free Except Norton) I run these programs weekly. This way I fell I have all bases covered.

Collapse -
Adaware 2007
by dedsetmad / September 4, 2007 10:21 AM PDT

If I was you I'd uninstall/reinstall.

Collapse -
AD Aware BeWare
by Surprisechupka / September 3, 2007 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: ad aware problem

Don't know if any one else had this problem - but previous AdAwares worked fine on my system - Downloaded the 2007 and slowed my system right down -- caused all kinds of problems. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling - same results.

Removed it and system fired right up at top speed again ... huh.

I run XP Pro SP2
1.83 Centrino laptop
1 G Mem
100G hd w/72g open

Collapse -
Ad Aware is terrible
by baruch / September 4, 2007 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: AD Aware BeWare

i have tried several versions of Ad Aware; THEY ARE ALL TERRIBLE!!! from the non-updating "webupdate" to everything else. i would never use any product from this company. additionally, whoever is responsible for Ad Aware makes it impossible to contact the source. why use a product, when the originators are so non-responsive?????

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.