Computer Help forum

General discussion

Ad-aware 6.0 and Spybot S& D.

by chuckieu / April 23, 2004 5:53 AM PDT

Since switching to Spybot, I haven't run Ad-aware since 5. After hearing from people running both(knowing it was a good idea), I finally got around to downloading Ad-aware 6.0. After installing it, I click to run it. I got a pop-up from Spybot saying that because of how Ad-aware operates, they were incompatible. Uninstalled for now. Anyone else have this happen? chuck

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ad-aware 6.0 and Spybot S& D.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ad-aware 6.0 and Spybot S& D.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Ad-aware 6.0 and Spybot S& D.
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 23, 2004 6:08 AM PDT

Chuckieu,

Are you sure that's EXACTLY what Spybot's message is saying? I haven't seen that type of message before, BUT I have seen the message which suggests that Ad-Aware may detect that some of Spybot's reference files are spyware. In addition, there is a warning notice that some software may not run after removing spyware and advertising robots, but that shouldn't stop the program from working correctly. Simply choose to recognize the fact but to move on, should allow the installation to proceed correctly and work fine.

Both programs will "play together" well.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Re:Ad-aware 6.0 and Spybot S& D.
by ol43arrys / April 23, 2004 2:17 PM PDT

I use both but disable notices in Spybot about AdAware problems or not. Run SpyBot first then AdAware. Not had problems.

Collapse -
Re:Ad-aware 6.0 and Spybot S& D.
by dschauer / April 23, 2004 3:53 PM PDT

The only message I've ever received along these lines is as follows (copied right from the window):

"You have AdAware installed.
If you have the AdAware option to scan inside archives enabled, AdAware may find files in the Spybot-S&D folder. Spybot-S&D does not contain any spyware, but it creates backups of everything you fix (until you remove those backups from the Recovery list), and AdAware complains about these backups. You can safely ignore these backups found by AdAware."

Basically, when you remove spyware using Spybot, a backup is created in an archive. If Adaware scans inside archives (I think it does by default), it will detect these backups as spyware.

I never keep the backups around anyway, so I really don't have a problem. If you keep the backups, just ignore Adaware's complaints about them. As Grif said, the two programs will work together just fine.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Collapse -
Re:Re:Ad-aware 6.0 and Spybot S& D.
by chuckieu / April 24, 2004 6:20 AM PDT

Thanks, folks. You're right(of course), Grif. The pop-up
did say Ad-aware would scan Spybot files, but it was
worded in a way that led me to believe it would create problems. I'll re-install and try it. chuck

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Ad-aware 6.0 and Spybot S& D.
by dschauer / April 24, 2004 9:11 AM PDT

No problem, glad I could help.

Dan

Collapse -
Update
by chuckieu / April 25, 2004 2:21 AM PDT

First unchecked backing up files in Spybot(I pay attention to what it wants to delete), then installed
Ad-aware 6.0. Ran Spybot first(as suggested), then Ad-aware. No problemo. Thanks again, everyone. chuck

Collapse -
Re:Update
by dschauer / April 25, 2004 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

No problem Chuck. Glad everything's working out for you.

Dan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.