Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Ad-Aware

by littlebit1000 / November 15, 2006 11:39 PM PST

I am currently using Spybot Search and Destroy as my only spyware detector and I am thinking of downloading Ad-Aware SE. When I read the limitations it stated "real time protector disabled." I am using Symantec Anti Virus with file system real time protection enabled. I can turn this option "off" if I wanted to, but should I do this? Does it mean I have to shut down real time protection when I download it?, or just when I run the program? or what excactly does this mean? Is it going to cause conflict with my virus protection, or Spybot? Thanks..L..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ad-Aware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ad-Aware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ad-Aware
by Bob__B / November 16, 2006 1:09 AM PST
In reply to: Ad-Aware

The free version of ad-aware runs just like ss+d....an on demand scanner.

If you want the real time scanner then you go to the paid version.

As for the free version.
I did not have to shut down anything to load the product.
I do not have to shut down anything to run the product.

Collapse -
Bob Is Correct...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 16, 2006 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: Ad-Aware

The free version of Ad-Aware is used as an on-demand scanner and does not provide any real time protection.. Still, it is a good "second opinion" for Spybot and I've never had any problems installing it along with all the other spyware removal tools that I've got.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks so very much
by littlebit1000 / November 16, 2006 7:25 AM PST
In reply to: Bob Is Correct...

Thank you for your replies; but I still seem to be confused...in the download section there is Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition 1.06 and it does state that there is a limitation- Real Time Disabled. Perhaps this isn't the "free" edition you are all talking about; tho it does say it is "free" to use. I would like to get the "free" edition without the limitations if I could. I would really appreciate it if anyone has any info on this for me...maybe I'm just being overly cautious and don't have a clue what I'm talking about...LOL...Once again I'd like to say Thanx for your quick replies...L

Collapse -
As Stated Before...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 16, 2006 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks so very much

....The free version of Ad-Aware 1.06r does NOT have real time protection (That's why it says: "Real Time Disabled") and besides, you DON'T want both Spybot and any other antispyware running real time at the same time. They tend to conflict.. There is only one "free" version of Ad-Aware 1.06r and does NOT have real time protection.

I'm not sure what isn't clear about our previous statements...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Yes it does help
by littlebit1000 / November 16, 2006 7:53 AM PST
In reply to: As Stated Before...

Thank you:) you did clear the confusion up for me. Now I know why it said "real Time Disabled".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?