Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Ad Aware 2007 causing headaches

by jevenew / March 10, 2008 10:35 AM PDT

Has anyone else had any problem with Lavasoft and their 2007 offering?
Just today, I noticed problems updating the definitions database, and kept getting error messages. (WinXP Pro and Vista) I posted to their forums, only to find many others experiencing the same thing. I uninstalled and reinstalled, based on several panes that popped up telling me to use WebUpdate, and then timing out, with no good result. I downloaded the def file from their website, and so far that is the only way I can get the application to show current updating.
This forum has touted this software, and I have used this software for many years. I sure hope it continues.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ad Aware 2007 causing headaches
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ad Aware 2007 causing headaches
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oh yes...
by glenn30 / March 10, 2008 10:49 AM PDT

Same problem here. I gave up... if their update feature does not work its a piece of junk! That is not all that's wrong with this software. Sad

Glenn

Collapse -
Join the 1,000's of others
by roddy32 / March 10, 2008 11:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
A solution....
by jevenew / March 10, 2008 2:53 PM PDT

Seems to help if 'ALL' security software is disabled. I exited out of Spybot S&D, my firewall, and my antivirus, and voila! it updated.
I never had to jump through those hoops before, though.

Collapse -
(NT) That's Alot of Nakedness Just for an Update!! :-(
by tobeach / March 10, 2008 4:14 PM PDT
In reply to: A solution....
Collapse -
(NT) Ahhh you are so right! Do not like nakedness! ;) :)
by glenn30 / March 11, 2008 3:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
I have something occur occasionally on WINXP Home ED.

An orange triangle pops up an says Use Webupdate . Anyhow, it took some time to figure out some nuiances, especially whebn it offers 2 updates, I take one. After I reboot or restart,now I can update the 2nd one. May have to do wih updating and it locks up. Rest of the time, no problem! Darrell

Collapse -
Roddy, I am still using......
by michhala / March 13, 2008 7:10 AM PDT

....Ad-Aware SE Personal free -- lately LavaSoft has been releasing two updates a week for this version for manual download. That said, I keep up with their forum and the problems with their 2007 version are non-stop. They fix one thing and something else shows up. It's an excellent forum, however, and the responses and help are quickly forthcoming.

Miki

Collapse -
Yes I know when and how often they
by roddy32 / March 13, 2008 7:45 AM PDT

release updates Miki. I post defs. updates for most products at a dozen or so security websites so I know when they ALL update LOL. I still have Ad-Aware SE on this computer but I don't bother to manually download the updates and scan with it. CCleaner deletes the same cookies easier. The ONLY reason I bother keeping the old program is becuse I use 2 of the add-ons.

Collapse -
Yes, I know you know and I know about your updates :)
by michhala / March 13, 2008 7:51 AM PDT

Hi Roddy -- When I submit a post, I give information and history not always needed by the person to whom it is addressed. I try to remember the many other people looking for information who also read the forum or pick up a post from Google.....and who are not regular participants.

Miki

Collapse -
(NT) OK Miki, no problem :)
by roddy32 / March 13, 2008 7:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
I got rid of it.
by JonathanCase / March 13, 2008 7:52 AM PDT

Couldn't even register at the forum to ask for help.Kept timing out, and when I tried to email them, the mail bounced straight back.Similar bugs to the OP. Very happy using alternatives such as Superantispyware. I doubt AdAware, once a mainstay, will be on my PC again.
There are quite a few better alternatives around.

Collapse -
I stay with Ad-Aware SE Personal because......
by michhala / March 13, 2008 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: I got rid of it.

I go to all lengths to not make changes until I have no choice.....which would be when LavaSoft stopped releasing defs for subject version. I appreciate their so doing and hope it continues until their newest version matures into a proper program like its predecessors.

I am sure you are right in that there are many alternatives around. I keep my finger on the pulse of their forum and only when, and if, the complaints become minimal and minor instead of major, I will upgrade to the latest version.

I did not have a problem registering at LavaSoft forum, but that was quite a while ago. I find Calamity Jane and other senior mods and members are right there when needed. However, the forum is full of exasperated and ready-to-give-it-all-up posters.

Miki

Collapse -
Ad-Aware....
by Tom Aikman / March 13, 2008 10:27 AM PDT

....has got a long way to go.
I received errors after trying to update.
Why pay for that?

~Thomas

Collapse -
I don't pay.......
by michhala / March 13, 2008 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Ad-Aware....

....so that's why I appreciate the fact they are still releasing updates for Ad-Aware SE Personal. I agree with you, however, they still have a long way to go with their new version.

Miki

Collapse -
Yes, Miki....I Was One of Those Posters....
by tobeach / March 15, 2008 3:34 PM PDT

after begging them NOT to discontinue Updates for SE on behalf of "legacy systems" (less than current Vista monster specs). 2 days later my post was gone & my sign in account vanished. No problem since I won't be using 2007 anyway & won't need help for it and will continue w/ SE as long as they update defs. I also use several of the SE add-ons.
I fully agree that several of the mods are very good & quick to jump in as needed. Sad tale all around. Wink

Collapse -
'tis a sad tale you tell all around, tobeach :(
by michhala / March 15, 2008 3:51 PM PDT

You were violated by the powers that be for Lavasoft's forum ......I would be very angry.

How could such a good program as Ad-Aware get to be so bad!

Miki

Collapse -
Uninstalled Ad-aware 2007 almost... I think! :(
by glenn30 / March 15, 2008 11:19 PM PDT

But still am annoyed with a black and white screen on boot of the system that reads "lsdelete Program not found - Skipping AUTOCHECK" From a Google search it seems this is connected to Ad-aware. Many others having this same problem... some solutions involve editing the registry. Until now I have not the nerve to try this... one would expect a remedy to be offered by Ad-aware but none so far that I see.

Just another example of poorly crafted software. My feelings are never to install Ad-aware again. The 2007 version has been out too long for these shortcomings not to have been corrected. Lack of responsibility and attention I am afraid. Sad

Hope this helps someone avoid this disaster.

Glenn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.