PC Applications forum

General discussion

Active x help, Java

by chairmanblank / June 28, 2006 2:46 AM PDT

when i went to trend micro to test pc it said java not on machine or something like that. i try to download java and i cant. ie blocks it. i try to unblock it and cant. so i did search on pc for java and it found files and folder java under c\windows. i reset security settings to medium. but pc is still slow and i cant download latest java. what is wrong here??
dont understand the problem and how to get active x thanks

xp pro,250hdd..cable connection
no viruses found by scans, have
ad aware,spybot,spyblaster etc.
everything up to date and clean

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Active x help, Java
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Active x help, Java
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2006 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Active x help, Java

Not a word about the PC so why shouldn't it be the speed it is? Some get those 128MB machines and run XP. It will be slow.

Besides your list, try EWIDO and try the non-JAVA version of housecall. Maybe someone will help you with JAVA but I find it best to do without when it doesn't work.

Bob

Collapse -
sorry about that
by chairmanblank / June 28, 2006 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Could be fine.

ram is 1 gig, pc 3.0 ghz
xp pro, 250 hdd,cable, nvidia graphics card 128mb
may not be in right forum, but pc is slow,
cws shreddar found CWS.Jksearch and removed it.

not sure what to do.
bob would it be advisable to go back to older bios where pc ran significantly faster?

i have latest sun java and the microsoft java boxes are all unticked. dont know why i cant install active x if i select it to. had to do manual install of java.
weird

Collapse -
Java ain't activeX.
by Kees Bakker / June 28, 2006 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry about that

Very different, in fact.

Java currently comes from Sun (www.java.com). There might be reasons why it won't install, but more info is needed to diagnose. And there's really nothing wrong with a manual install, especially so when it succeeded.

ActiveX is part of either IE (or possibly of Windows) and can't be installed separatly. You always have it, so to say. All you can do: allow or disallow it (or be asked) to be used in certain security zones. It's NEEDED for Windows update, to name one particular site that depends on it.

I won't comment on 'older BIOS', even if you gave more details. But Bob might need them.

Kees

Collapse -
I just tried ewido &
by chairmanblank / June 28, 2006 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Could be fine.

to install

and this is what happened

---------------------------
NSIS Error
The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete.
This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus.

You may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy.

It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch
(NOT RECOMMENDED).
OK

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ok nvm, went to another site & ewido worked
by chairmanblank / June 28, 2006 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: I just tried ewido &
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.