Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Active X?

by cretin / April 9, 2006 4:39 PM PDT

I have started using Ewido in addition to Ad Aware & Spy bot, Cw cleaner. Nortons System works & PC Doc pro have recently found 3 active X errors that they cannot repair! The computer was acting sluggish which seem to have passed now to some degree. I'm not quite sure what they are & its the 1st time these 2 fix it programs haven't been able to fix everything they ahve found. My system Restore didn't fuction & have now gone to norton's Go Back, but regardless I don't know what to do about these. Should I start restoring all quarenteed & removed problems? There were more problems but they have been fixed. I use XP home & above programs in addition to Reg Mech. & Clean Cache.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Active X?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Active X?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please tell more about the errors.
by Kees Bakker / April 9, 2006 7:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Active X?

What errors on what files?

Did both programs (Norton Systemworks and PC Doc pro) report these same files? I don't think it's harmful software if Ewido, Adaware and Spybot (note spaces when you post, please!) didn't find anything. But to know what it is, and what you should do about it, we need to know more that you tell now.

Collapse -
they are.........
by cretin / April 10, 2006 4:39 PM PDT

Pc Doc Pro doesn't see them nor does REg. Mechanic Its Nortons Systen Works in Win Doctor & one button scan that scans for various problems. these are the 1st ones I've ever had that they wouldn't repair.
They are active X/COM missing or invalid key entries
1. "mailfileATT
2. "mapfv bx.object"
3. "mapifvbx.object1"
then 2 invalid key enteries
"sll" invalid program identifier
"wll" & word.addin.8
Thanks so much!!! Steve

Collapse -
I wouldn't mind at all what Norton says ...
by Kees Bakker / April 10, 2006 8:51 PM PDT
In reply to: they are.........

as long as my email and word processing work to my satisfaction. To me, a problem is only a problem if it affects the way the machine works.

Collapse -
Steve, I Agree With Kees
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 11, 2006 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: they are.........

We've seen a number of so-called "alerts" thrown out by Norton's Win Doctor and most of them are of no consequence. In fact, I uninstall that particular program from all computers where I see it.. I've seen little benefit from it and in some cases, it makes things worse...

If it's not broke, then don't fix it.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
good deal!
by cretin / April 11, 2006 3:18 PM PDT

I was concerned because the night my system froze several times in a row, causing a forced shutdown, was the night I then found these errors & thought there could be a connection. Now after closing alot of the programs (especially anti-spyware protectors) that were starting at start up it seems to be working better. So far the system has been opening fine the last few days.
Thanks much to you both!!
I have benefited so much from watching this forum & from the newsletter I receive!!! I tell everyone that I think could benefit about this fabulous resourse. I'm not a very versed computer user doing it occasionally for the last year. Cnet gives me accsess to great helpful downloads and invaluable help!!!!
Best! Steve

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?