General discussion

Activating TDMA - Help for any activation source

I recently purchased a new "used" car with a TDMA cell phone. I would like to activate with current carrier which is Cingular. Customer service said no go.

I need recommendations on how to get this phone activated any way that I can. Cannot believe that my current carrier is unwilling to activate (based on 800 customer service/tech call).

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Phone was recently on the AT&T network.

Thanks,
DJ

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Activating TDMA - Help for any activation source
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Activating TDMA - Help for any activation source
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
TDMA NO GO

Unfortunately, you cannot activate a TDMA phone w/ Cingular. Just like if you tried to activate an older Analog phone. Cingular no longer sells TDMA calling plans, the only customers who can use TDMA already have those plans setup. Also, can't use a former AT&T phone on Cingular. What model phone are you using?

- Collapse -
Phone - is Motorola Timeport

Motorola Timeport Model P8197. Compatible with the BMW CPT8000 Phone system that was installed on almost all BMW models from 2001 to 2003 or so.

- Collapse -
TDMA

There are programming codes to activate, you need to obtain the SID code from Cingular. I can't guarantee the phone can be activated though. What state are you in?

- Collapse -
I am in Northern Virginia

Phone was on previous AT&T network. I am not sure what all the codes are but I would think that I should be able to get a technicion to activate as I know that Cingular/AT&T will continue to support TDMA service, at least for a little while.

- Collapse -
TDMA/Cingular/Mercedes

I'm having a similar problem but with Mercedes dealership. Bought P8097 new in box off ebay, got my old TDMA Cingular # and plan programmed into it, and it works as a portable phone, but it won't work in the S430 2001 when plugged into the hands free system. Dealer says that I need MB software to make it work handsfree. The book, box, and everything I bought says MB on it. Any ideas would be appreciated before I have to plunk down $450 for a handset from the dealer.

- Collapse -
When did you get your Cingular Service

When did you get your Cingular Service activated on your MB phone and what part of the country did you have it activated? I was told that they will not activate TDMA anymore.

I am not that familiar with the MB, but I thought that the S class from 2000 and forward were all prewired for the phone. Meaning that all you would need was a handset. Sorry I am not more help on that point.

DJ

- Collapse -
TDMA/Mercedes S Class

Thanks for your response. I, too, maintain that all you need is a handset, but the dealer is adamant that I have been ripped off. I had been using an OLD Nokia with TDMA and simply did a "Change of Equipment" on Tuesday of this week in Birminham, AL where I live. I will probably have to change back to the Nokia. I'm still not ready to change to the new technology; I travel in many rural areas and there are lots of places where that old TDMA Nokia works better than my husband's newer phone.

CNET Forums

Forum Info