HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

action shots

by Laylah E. / October 26, 2006 5:58 AM PDT

I have a canon 8 mega pixel powershot pro one camera and have problems getting action shots of my 2 year old grandson without it being blurry. If inside I usally avoid using the flash if I can. Even if I take it in continuious mode I just get a lot of blurry pictures.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: action shots
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: action shots
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Inside is where flash is needed most, especially if you
by Kiddpeat / October 26, 2006 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: action shots

want action photos. Outside, in daylight, it is less necessary. Camera's need good light before they can use faster shutter speeds. Faster shutter speeds are needed to stop action.

Collapse -
Action Shots
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 26, 2006 7:36 AM PDT

When indoors, the camera needs more light.
If you turn off the flash, the camera must choose a slow shutter speed in order to get a properly exposed photo.

A slow shutter speed will result in a blurred image if you are not using a tripod to steady the camera.

Three solutions:

Use the flash.

Use a tripod.

Use floodlights to brighten the room.

Collapse -
action shots in low light
by hjfok / November 15, 2006 7:15 AM PST

As mentioned above, your best bet will be using flash (or flood lights) and tripod.
But you do have the Canon powershot Pro1 with a "L" lens boasting f/2.4-3.5 with zoom range 28-200 mm. So you may want to try a few tricks and see whether it will work okay with you in low light without flash. This may work if your grandson just moves a little and most likely not work if he's jumping up and down or in very low light situation:
1. Try the manual mode
2. Set the aperture to 2.4 (lowest number, which actually gives you the widest opening to allow more light into the sensor)
3. Set the shutter speed to 1/250. If it is too dark, go down to 1/125 (slower shutter speed, will look brighter but may gives mild blurring). Faster shutter speed 1/500 usually is not possible in low light, but you can try it if you still have blurring at 1/250.
4. If your picture at 1/125 is still too dark, go up on the ISO. Your camera's ISO range is 50-400. The higher ISO number will help to make your picture brighter, but will introduce noise and make the picture grainy. Start with ISO 100, and go up as needed to make the picture just bright enough for your taste. You can of course slow down you shutter speed further to make the picture brighter, but may have more blurring as you do so.
5. Set you autofocus (AF) to continuous, so that focusing will be automatically adjusted as your subject moves.
6. Try not to zoom in too much (you can zoom in a little since you have wide angle), instead get closer to your subject.
7. Mount your camera on a tripod if possible, but this may not be possible when you're alone with a 2 year old. Then hold your camera with 2 hands, press the button half way to focus on your grandchild's face or eye, and gently press the button to take the picture while you exhale (holding breath and inhale may increase body shake). If your grandchild's face/eyes are in focus, then his hand or body slight blurring may actually add a sense of motion to your picture. If you focus on his body and get a blurry face, then the picture will look horrible. When you set the aperture to 2.4 wide open, your depth of field will be shallow, stay focus on the face and eyes.
8. Try to light up the room as much as possible, or find the brightest spot indoor to do your action photo.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.