Just
Showed
Us
Nine
Planets

Silly

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acronyms for the Planets
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acronyms for the Planets
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
but!
by Veronica Belmont-20381073359499778927797251280312 / August 16, 2006 9:56 AM PDT

now there are 8 Sad

Collapse -
No 12!
by dominiej / August 16, 2006 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: but!

Mercury
Venus
Earth
Mars
Ceres
Jupiter
Saturn
Uranus
Neptune
Pluto
Charon
Xena - Warrior Princess. Yes the offical description of the planet will refer to it being forged not in the primal solar system, but in the heat of battle. Yayayayayayayayayayayayayayayayaya!

Collapse -
I never needed one
by cardsbb9 / August 16, 2006 10:32 AM PDT

My brother and my cousin and I used to drill each other on the nine planets all the time as real young kids.

Besides, with two 'M's in the list, you could start out "Mars, Venus, Mercury..." and you wouldn't know it was wrong.

Mercury = Moletn Metal. The planet is so hot it would melt lead on the surface. Mercury is a liquid metal at room temprature..... so the Molten Metal planet is Mercury. Only the first planet could be this hot.

Venus = beauty at a distance, hell up close. She is the woman you love to see but hate to live with. The planet where 'global warming' has run amok, it shines so bright in the night sky it appears as a jewel. The second person you (likely) saw in life was a woman, Venus is the second planet. (The doctor who delivered you would be the first person you saw.)

Earth = the mis-named planet. We really should be called 'Water' as 70% of the surface is covered with water and not earth. There are three atoms in a molecule of water (H2O) and Earth is the third planet from the Sun.

Mars. Four letters in 'Mars', fourth planet.... 'nuf said.

Asteroid belt. Where one or two planets should have been, but nothing but crushed rock exists. There is a gap between your index finger and your thumb. Counting from the outside in, the index finger is the fourth finger, the thumb the fifth. Pick up some gravel between your index finger and your thumb and you have 'rocks' setting between #4 and #5.

Jupiter = 'the big daddy'. A male god, Jupiter was father to many of the other gods in mythology. 'Daddy' has five letters, Jupiter is the fifth planet.

Saturn. 'Saturn' has six letters, Saturn is the sixth planet.... 'nuf said.

Neptune. Besides the word 'neptune' having seven letters, it is the only gas giant not previously mentioned which is not Uranus. As "Your-An*s" 'comes last' when you walk forward that means that Neptune must come next at the seventh planet.

Uranus... as mentioned, "Your-An*s" 'comes last' when you walk forward and this is the last gas giant. Us old men know what it is like for our an*s to be a 'gas giant'.... at least it comes late in life when we already have grandkids and don't have to worry about dating. The last gas giant, and the eighth planet, is Uranus.

Pluto. Plutonium is a very heavy metal which comes far down the periodic table of elements. Pluto comes in last just as plutonium 'comes in' far down the periodic table.

Collapse -
Well, I goofed.
by cardsbb9 / August 16, 2006 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: I never needed one

I hate not being able to edit posts!

Uranus and Neptune should have been reversed in order.

(Maybe that is why I frequently get the order wrong there.... 'your-an*s' should come last.

Collapse -
I always just remembered
by rtemp / August 16, 2006 12:16 PM PDT

Of course, I was a pretty big space nut when I was younger, so it wasn't very long before I memorized them all.

The thing that always made me wonder was why almost all of the planets were named after the old Roman gods. I would've gone with the original Greek names myself.

Just for the record, Pluto still is and always will be Planet 9 to me. To quote Adam Savage from Mythbusters, "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

-Ryan

Collapse -
What good is a '9th' planet that is.......
by cardsbb9 / August 16, 2006 1:00 PM PDT

What good is a '9th' planet that is the 8th planet from the sun for part of it's orbit?

For those who don't know, the orbit of Pluto is so eliptical that it is actually closer to the sun than Neptune (Neptune or Uranis?..... Neptune) for part of it's orbit.

Collapse -
Pluto - rebel (round thing) without a cause...
by shawnlin / August 16, 2006 1:24 PM PDT

That darn Pluto. I think that the fact that it's waaaaaay out in our solar system peanut gallery gives it some right to edge up a notch every 200 years or so.

Let the little guy in! He's only got like 30 years to get toasty and then it's back to freezin' cold that makes Minnesota in late January seem hot, hot, hot!

The nature of the universe can be nice like that.

--Shalin

Collapse -
I knew that
by rtemp / August 16, 2006 2:41 PM PDT

I just didn't want to get into little intricacies like that. Also, it's not just that the ellipticalness (ellipticality?), but the fact that relative to the other planets, Pluto has a ****-eyed orbit around ye olde Sun. Provided, of course, that I am remembering things correctly.

-Ryan

Collapse -
hmm...
by rtemp / August 16, 2006 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: I knew that

Let's try replacing that filtered out phrase as "off-kilter."

-Ryan

Collapse -
Truly due to 'eliptical-ness'
by cardsbb9 / August 16, 2006 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: I knew that

The plane of it's orbit is quite tilted, but what causes the great change in distance is that it's orbit is more eliptical than the orbits of the true planets.

Remember, all orbits are eliptical. It is very rare (if ever) that an orbit is circular. The body being orbited always is at one of the two foci of the elepise and not at the center of the elipse. (Think of the orbit of a comet and this will become quite obvious.)

Collapse -
MVEMCJSUNPCX
by SilasC / August 17, 2006 4:21 AM PDT

Miss Violet Eats Mashed Cheese Just So Unicyclers Never Pickpocket Cheerful Xena.

That's the best one I could come up with. I was stretching it at the end.

Collapse -
Protest Composite X-rays
by cardsbb9 / August 17, 2006 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: MVEMCJSUNPCX

Miss Violet Eats Mashed Cheese Just So Unicyclers Never Protest Composite X-rays

Collapse -
My mnemonic
by barret55 / August 17, 2006 4:51 AM PDT

I always thought they were called mnemonics, as opposed to acronyms, since acronyms were letters that stood for something else (such as SNAFU, FUBAR, etc.) ... or I might be confusing the two, who knows? Happy

Anyways ....

My
Very
Educated
Mother
Just
Served
Us
Nine
Pizzas

-Terry

Collapse -
My mnemonic
by kahoutek / August 17, 2006 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: My mnemonic

Yes that is the one I used to remember the Planets MY Very Educated Mom Just Served Us Nine Pizzas is what I used to remember the Planets Thanks for reminding me.

Collapse -
No problem
by barret55 / August 17, 2006 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: My mnemonic

Funny what sticks in the mind, and what doesn't, isn't it?

-Terry

Collapse -
you forgot the Blue's Clues Planet Song
by beelissa / August 19, 2006 4:43 AM PDT

For those of you who are much younger, or parents of young ones, there's always the Blue's Clues Planet Song. This helps you memorize not only the planets in order starting with the sun, but a characteristic of each of them ("Venus is the brightest planet", etc.).

http://www.ilovewavs.com/TV/ChilShow/BlueClue/BlueClue.htm

scroll down and click on the one that says Blue's Clues Planet Song to hear it. And here are the lyrics:

http://www.naoj.org/staff/kumiko/Outreach/Abstract/planetsong.html

Well, we wanted to name the planets, and now we've named them all.

Collapse -
Yes!!
by barret55 / August 19, 2006 2:51 PM PDT

Thanks for the reminder. I can't believe I forgot about that song!

Well, the sun's a hot star,
And Mercury's hot too,
Venus is the brightest planet,
Earth's home to me and you
Mars is the red one,
And Jupiter's most wide
Saturn's got those icy rings,
And Uranus spins on its side.
Neptune's really windy,
And Pluto's really small.

Well, we wanted to name the planets, and now we've named them all.

Hey, it's a catchy tune! Happy

-Terry

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?