HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Acronis True Image Home 10 Driving Me Insane!

by jonesy_uk / January 27, 2008 5:03 AM PST

Just re-installed my entire system following a ridiculous virus, and the whole process from inserting the Windows disc to the point where I had all the updates, and all my regularly-used software was 3 Hrs. In order to avoid a similar problem, I installed Acronis true Image onto my machine, and created an image in a number of minutes. I also added a secure partition which Acronis uses for the backups. So far, everything was going as planned, UNTIL, I tried to test it! I booted into Acronis using F11, but my Hard Drive is NOT found. It asks me to select the image that I created(the one on the secure partition), but says, "No Hard Drives were detected", so I'm stuck. I've put the image on a DVD, and when it boots, I can go into Acronis, select the image on the DVD, but then it asks me for the destination, and says,"No Hard Drives were detected", so I can't the use the software. At this point, My PC is in prefect working order, with Acronis Partition, etc. on the system, but one day it's going to crash, and when that day arrives, how on earth am I going to restore the system with the image that I've created??? Is there anyone out there that has had the same problem?? I appreciate your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acronis True Image Home 10 Driving Me Insane!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acronis True Image Home 10 Driving Me Insane!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Might do some reading over in PC Utilities
by VAPCMD / January 27, 2008 6:11 AM PST

Everybody there says Acronis (vice Ghost) is the product to have. I always use Ghost 2003 and own several versions of Acronis but won't be switching until Ghost won't do the job.

Have you spoken with Acronis Tech Support ?

Good Luck,

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Acronis has good support BUT do tell us more ....
by Edward ODaniel / January 27, 2008 7:32 AM PST

such as WHERE you created the "Secure Zone". (Hint - it isn't recommended to do so on an external drive because Startup Recovery Manager changes the MBR of the drive.)

Another common problem is that the user has created a backup image in a secure zone but has not bothered ACTIVATING the Startup Recovery Manager --

3.4.2 How to use
To be able to use Acronis Startup Recovery Manager at boot time, prepare as follows:
1. Install Acronis True Image Home.
2. Create Acronis Secure Zone on the hard disk (see Chap er 9. Managing Acronis Secure Zone).
3. Activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. To do so, click Activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager and follow the wizard?s instructions.

AFTER creating and Activating you must still make a backup into that secure zone. Now, you did say that you created an image and you did say you created a Secure Zone and you indicated that you wrote an image to DVD but when booting the DVD couldn't find the hard disk - If yours is a SATA or SCSI drive or using RAID that might make it difficult for True Image Home to see the drive. (Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation, Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Linux, Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows, Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server all support SATA and SCSI so you really might want to contact ACRONIS Support.)

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/support/kb/articles/474/

NOTE: Unless you REALLY need it I would avoid the "Snap Restore" because although it does allow you to get to work during the restore it is SLOW.

Before contacting Acronis Support it might pay to read this link and do what it suggests.
http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/support/kb/articles/644/

Collapse -
This may help.
by JimmyCarter / January 27, 2008 8:24 AM PST

I also tested Acronis and found it seriously lacking.

I use partition magic, powerquest drive image 7.0 {Ghost 9.0 is the same}.

If you had done the same thing with powerquest drive image 7.0 it would have worked perfectly and in fact you can save muliple drive images on the same partition of the same drive c and it won't refuse because you are stepping on a saved image like Acronis does...

I have tested both extensively and this is my opinion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.