Computer Help forum

General discussion

acronis true image 9

by howjef / November 1, 2005 1:39 AM PST

after some difficulty i was able to download product from newegg ( saved money thanks to discussion here).
have created image on maxtor external usb hard drive attached to dell dimension (bought in 05 running windows xp home using ie 6).
after making a bootable disk. it said i needed to enable boot from cd in BIOS. First entering BIOS makes me nervous, second i really couldnt understand exactly what to do. it seemed to be talking about creating an order from which machine should boot. but i couldnt figure out what the order should be. as the discussion then changed to difference between machines, and specifically mentioned dell.
second issue. when i went to see that everything was on the external drive it says it is there listing space it takes but when i tried to get in it said creating virtual letter for drive unsuccessful.
so i couldnt get in to see if the content is really there.
how do i tell if this will work when needed?
this is a new area for me so i would appreciate very simplistic directions.
thank you in advance for any assistance.
if i have omitted any info necessary for a reply , please let me know.
Paula

trying to make sure i can ''take it with me'' in case the next hurricane hits.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: acronis true image 9
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: acronis true image 9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Although..
by jackintucson / November 1, 2005 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: acronis true image 9

True Image (I use it) is an excellent application it is not for the faint of heart. It assumes that your knowledge is at least intermediate. What it is telling you to do is change the "boot sequence" so that it will go to the CD drive first, before going to the hard drive when loading Windows. You navigate through the "Setup" program (BIOS) by the up/down/sidways arrows. You also use the (F)unction keys for save/exit etc. Highlight the "Boot" header and press <Enter>. Near the top you will see the area where you can change the boot sequence. Usually, you will have three choices: floppy; cd rom and hard drive. Just keep toggling until the cd rom is first. Place the cd in the tray and save/exit. The PC will now boot from the cd and you're on your way to restoring your system.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say for the second part but... sounds like a little more reading is in order. And hey, play around with it..try different kinds of backups..incremental...clone..etc..etc. You'll get the hang of it.. I did.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Word of Warning
by Schokers / November 1, 2005 10:19 AM PST
In reply to: Although..

Paula - after you have created a backup image of your drive you should check the archive integrity. I have Acronis True Image 9.0 but every backup image I have created (both in Windows 2000 Pro and later in Windows XP Pro) gives me a message that the archive is corrupted when I try to verify its integrity. The support people at Acronis tell me that I have a driver problem and that I should re-install all drivers. However, I have done a couple of clean installs of XP Pro for other reasons (which should reinstall drivers) but nothing has changed re corrupt archives whenever I create a new backup image. You may not have the same problem but I recommend that you verify the backup image. In the Backup settings you can get the program to check automatically after the backup image is created. Note that the program may tell you that you have created a backup successfully but you could still have a corrupt archive - check!

Collapse -
re: verifying integrity
by howjef / November 1, 2005 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: Word of Warning

Thank you for your answer.
I am more than interested in verifying the integrity. Actually that is what i thought I was doing by trying to go into a couple of the files on the backup, but i couldnt open them.
Exactly how do i verify the integrity?
I havent gotten a response from acronis support.
But, to be fair to them, their site says it is an invalid serial numer. And although new egg promised yesterday to send me a new one they haven't.
Paula

Collapse -
If..
by jackintucson / November 1, 2005 11:42 PM PST

you haven't successfully registered the product that might not allow True Image to become totally functional. Wait until you have a good serial number before trying to validate the integrity. Then get back to us.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Check Archive
by Schokers / November 2, 2005 7:29 AM PST

I am in a different time zone (Melbourne Australia) so my posts may appear at odd times to you.
The Tools windows on the opening screen of True Image has a menu item called Check Archive. Select this and follow the prompts - you have to point it to the backup file you created. As I mentioned previously, one of the settings associated with creating a backup will do this automatically after you have created the backup file.

Collapse -
booting
by howjef / November 1, 2005 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: Although..

Jack
I am trying to make sure that life does go on Happy
If i go into the BIOS(thank you for being so specific) and set my external drive(where i made the true image full copy to) as the first place to boot from. Then what happens when it is not connected? Does it boot the way it always has before? or do i not go in and set the cd as the boot until after i have had a problem and need it to be the boot?
The idea, in my mind, was to connect it for incremental backups, and then maybe once a month create a new full back up. But in between times to not connect it , so that if there is a lightening strike(we are the lightening capital of the us) and I lose the internal hard drive, I wont lose the backup.
I hope this makes sense.

Paula

Collapse -
The boot order is...
by Edward ODaniel / November 2, 2005 12:59 AM PST
In reply to: booting

easy to set to your preferences or needs and if you set it wrong you simply set it again until it is right--it isn't going to damage anything. (You might think about taking a pen/pencil and WRITING DOWN the current settings BEFORE making any changes so you cn set them back later if you desire.

Now, regarding what will happen if the CD-ROM is set as the first boot device.

IF it contains bootable media when the computer is booted it will boot to the CD, If it doesn't have any bootable media the boot process simply goes to the second listed boot device, then the third, etc.

Kind of like if you are looking for a can opener and it isn't in the first drawer you simply go on to the next drawer then the next until you find it--once found the search is over.

Collapse -
Ed is correct...
by jackintucson / November 2, 2005 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: The boot order is...

But if you are going to use the external as a possible boot drive then you are going to have to "clone" the drive without using any file compressions. This way you can boot from the USB drive. One thing on the USB drive. Make sure you plug it into a USB port on the motherboard and not a hub (if you have one). The hub requires drivers that are on the hard drive and won't work. Your idea is a good one. You can still use the external as a backup using compressed files and incremental updates. How often you backup depends really on how much you use your computer. I'm a heavy user so I backup every night and do full backups once a week (or at least I should Wink ). If you can afford to lose yesterdays data and retrieving it from its source is no big deal, then maybe you can do incrementals twice a week. In any case I would do a complete backup every two weeks. You can always delete earlier generations. I hope this answers your question. And, YES, you did make sense.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
to ed, jack, shockers
by howjef / November 2, 2005 3:11 PM PST
In reply to: booting

New egg finally coughed up the 25 digit serial code.

Although i bought the product on the 30th, i did try an update at the acronis site, after i managed to register. And indeed there was one. Then i cloned the hard drive(which if i got it correctly only sets up the partitions(fat32, etc) Then i created a backup. then verified that it was ok. Very simple once i saw exactly where i was able to do that.
Really appreciate all your help. tomorrow. will go into BIOS and set to be able to boot if internal hard drive fails. Do think the pen and pencil a good idea. Nice to know can go back in and change it without causeing damage.
Think twice a month probably a good idea for the full back up. Am presuming the clone thing will not have to be done again. Is that correct? Will then do full back up over oldest back up. So there will be two back ups on the 160g external at all times(internal hard drive is 80) At the moment i am not doing heavy usage. but will increase frequency as i do more on my website www.sjogrens.netfirms.com which simply must be done.
Thank you for all your help and patience.
Paula

Collapse -
Sounds like a winner BUT...
by Edward ODaniel / November 2, 2005 6:29 PM PST
In reply to: to ed, jack, shockers

also be sure to write a copy of that full image to CD or DVD because like it or not USB hard drives are NOT permanent media and fail far too often to rely on.

A copy of the image to CD or DVD is cheap insurance!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome harjef
by jackintucson / November 2, 2005 11:32 PM PST
Collapse -
re copy of image
by howjef / November 3, 2005 7:40 AM PST

Ed
are we talking about making a cd to boot or are you talking about something else?
i have made the boot cd. but it was before the registration and update , so i plan on making another.
Paula

Collapse -
No, I am talking about...
by Edward ODaniel / November 3, 2005 6:24 PM PST
In reply to: re copy of image

actually writing a full image to CD/DVD (just like what you wrote to the external HD), a completely separate image that can be used if the external drive crashes, explodes, is snatched from your desk by a low flying condor, or is otherwise suddenly unavailable when you need it.

Backups are redundant and one copy should be stored remotely.

Collapse -
cd 's
by howjef / November 5, 2005 12:17 AM PST

ED
How many cds would it take to do that for an 80 gig hard drive. of course that wold be assuming the low flying condor didnt try to rip them all off and the hurricane shelter would allow them all in.
Paula

Collapse -
Considerinf that you can store about...
by Edward ODaniel / November 5, 2005 2:57 AM PST
In reply to: cd 's

700 meg on a CD-R and ASSUMING no compression AND a completely full drive, you would need (scientifically speaqking) A BUNCH!

On the other hand considering that you likely have quite a bit of unused space on the drive (AND if you perform a checkdisk and defrag BEFORE imaging and after emptying your recycle bin and deleting all temp Internet files) AND Acronis can compress the image that BUNCH could be reduced to "quite a few".

Considering that you can get a Double Layer DVD writer as low as $36.99 (including shipping http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=5 ) with 4.7 to 8.5 gig per disc why not replace the CD-RW?

Remember, your recovery image should really only need to be the freshly installed OS and Applications--data is saved on the incremental backups and any application installations after the initial image can be simply reinstalled.

Keep your disaster recovery options as simple as possible because if they are too complex it becomes too easy to just skip them.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thanks Ed you are a wealth of information. Paula
by howjef / November 5, 2005 7:56 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?