Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

"Acquiring Network Address" when in fact already connected

by Mach1.02 / January 4, 2007 5:33 AM PST

System: XP MCE SP2 / 2.4Ghz Intel Dual Core / ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium / 2GB DDR2 RAM / 2x320GB Barracuda HDDs

This PC automatically connects to my Netgear DG834G WEP enabled home network during startup. Every time. Without fail. Half the time however although the wireless network connection works properly the normal Windows system tray icon for wireless networking remains with the "scanning" graphic (the moving "ball") and hovering over this icon gives the normal caption associated with this state, "Acquiring network address".

This is not a "problem" - because the network connection works fine as the fact that I can make this post testifies - but any idea what's "wrong", please? The three other PCs in the house (actually all laptops runing XP Pro SP2) connect without this behaviour.

The wireless card is Netgear WG311v3 802.11G PCI and I elected to let the Netgear "Smart Wizard" take control during installation. Checking Windows Services confirms that both WZC and NLA are "automatic" and "started".

The only other problem that I know the PC has is that Norton Antivirus Autoprotect (navapsvc.exe) consumes a minimum of 22%CPU even when the PC is "idle". I don't know if this is related or not.

Help has also been requested elsewhere, where the advice was probably quite sensibly "leave it alone", but things like this bug me and I want to solve the underlying cause.

Many thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Acquiring Network Address" when in fact already connected
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Acquiring Network Address" when in fact already connected
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Acquiring Network Address" when in fact already connected
by Mach1.02 / January 4, 2007 5:36 AM PST

I should have added: "Eventually", after a minimum of one hour, the wireless network system tray graphic changes to the normal one for "connected" (PC with radiating radio waves)

Cheers.

Collapse -
That can be proper. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 5:39 AM PST

Many desktops have an ethernet connection. It could be trying to acquire an address on that unused ethernet port. For such I just head to Windows DEVICE MANAGER and set it to "not used in this configuration."

Bob

Collapse -
Device disabled
by Mach1.02 / January 4, 2007 6:49 AM PST

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob, but Device Manager shows the ethernet LAN driver properties as "do not use this device (disable) the same as how the LAN connection icon displays in Start / Settings / Network Connections.

If I have misunderstood, I apologise.

Collapse -
I wonder if Wireless Zero Configuration is used or not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 8:09 AM PST
In reply to: Device disabled

Sometimes I encounter a machine with both WZC and a maker's Wifi tool enabled. Ask who installed this OS which you should use.

Bob

Collapse -
Wireless Zero Configuration
by Mach1.02 / January 4, 2007 8:03 PM PST

Thanks, Bob. It's my own brand new PC, and I configured it, so I guess I can do what I like! Happy I know not why WZC is in use given that to tidily remove a load of junk that came from the supplier and to organise the PC how I wanted I reformatted the HDDs, reinstalled XP MCE SP2, reinstalled the drivers, partitoned with Acronis, installed the WiFi card using Netgear's Smart Wizard, and installed Norton AV/IS.

If in using the Smart Wizard WZC should have been switched off, I don't know why it wasn't. I have now switched off and disabled this service, so will see what happens.

Collapse -
WZC is from Microsoft and part of the stock install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 11:53 PM PST

I'm sure you've learned a lot from installing Windows from scratch. It's not as easy as some thought it was. No motherboard drivers, etc.

Bob

Collapse -
Virtual beer
by Mach1.02 / January 5, 2007 2:07 AM PST

Well, Sir. A virtual beer is sent your way. Wireless Zero Configuration switched off, and bingo, problem completely solved. Switch it back on, and the problem returns to about half the reboots just the same as before, so it's now switched off for good. The network continues, as it did with the problem, to function perfectly.

In the literal sense, "cheers"! Happy

Collapse -
Installing Windows from scratch
by Mach1.02 / January 5, 2007 2:11 AM PST
In reply to: Virtual beer

"I'm sure you've learned a lot from installing Windows from scratch"

Oh yes! Just ask my wife, who had me coming to bed at 06:00am two nights running because I was so addicted to getting it right I couldn't stop, and the time flew by!

Well worth it though; (a) I had the satisfaction of learning something both new and useful, and (b) I have a PC that - Norton Antivirus issue in another cnet forum aside - performs exactly how I want it to, not how someone else thought it would be nice for it to.

Collapse -
Yes, you did it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2007 2:12 AM PST

You revealed just enough clues for me to guess this one. And hopefully you'll rack that item up in your shelf of new things to consider when installing this old OS.

Bob

Collapse -
Mmm...virtual beer! </virtual Homer>
by linkit / January 5, 2007 5:29 AM PST

Glad you found a solution.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?