Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

ACPI Errors - what is the danger?

by Angela / July 19, 2004 1:06 PM PDT

Hi all

I have been experiencing problems with my HP Pavilion 8903 since it was 18 months old. It attempts to shutdown for no reason but retains power to the CD drive etc... The HDD leds are fixed on. NOT HEAT, in fact it is more prone to happen over and over again when the computer is first turned on in the cool of the morning although when it initially happened it was after the machine was left on for more than 3 days.

In troubleshooting this problem I came accross ACPI Errors in my event log. I have since found out that even though the machine was sold with Windows XP that the BIOS (Pheonix) is not compatible with Windows XP and ACPI power management.

I found a way to disable ACPI when doing a Windows XP installation, however this apparently only works when installing from full version XP disks and not the recovery set provided by HP.

HP support technicians advise that the ACPI Errors are inconsequential and have always maintained that I needed to replace the motherboard (at 18 months) even though they couldn't tell me why.

I have started a petition on the HP forum for people with similar ACPI Errors and incompatible BIOS where the machine was supplied with XP, but so far have only received a handfull of names and only 3 models so far confirmed to be effected all with varying apparent hardware problems similar to mine.

Is there anyone who could either confirm or deny that ACPI Errors equate to gradual hardware failure and intermittent hickups such as the attempted shutdowns, as I don't want to continue pursueing a lost cause, but also don't want to take for gospel what is told to me by HP as the Microsoft website says to contact the system vendor if ACPI errors are received because they may cause system instablility.

Why would microsoft say one thing and report and error as an important problem and HP deny that it is worthy of concern.

Would appreciate any input or any similar circumstances.

My machine is now 2.5 years old and I have still not received a satisfactory result as it was out of warranty when it first faulted at 18 months. I believe the mobo or cpu or something will fail soon as the problem is now occuring even though I am not leaving the system powered up.

PS I have replaced the Case/PSU/RAM/HDD and fitted an SPS and Surge Supression equipment over the last 12 months. Obviously a problem with Mobo or CPU (Heatsink been cleaned, refitted with new thermal paste)

Cheers
Angela

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ACPI Errors - what is the danger?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ACPI Errors - what is the danger?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: ACPI Errors - what is the danger?
by Cetin Denislam / July 19, 2004 8:55 PM PDT

>>Is there anyone who could either confirm or deny that ACPI Errors equate to gradual hardware failure and intermittent hickups such as the attempted shutdowns.<<

An example of this kind of error:

Q283649-"ACPI BIOS Is Attempting to Write to Illegal IO Port Address"

It does create disruptive. Since your environment is under windows XP control, in order to eliminate it a BIOS update it's necessary. So, the supplier (HP in your case) should provide it. No compatible BIOS provided same disruptions.

Now, let me tell you my impressions regarding your problems. At the time when you bought this model (end 2001-beginning 2002), it was hardware obsolete. Probable they wanted to get rid of those motherboard models (810 chipset) that were probable manufactured long time before (thus explaining the incompatible BIOS). Being such an old chipset, the ongoing support (chipset drivers, integrated drivers) was weak. This generation could satisfactorily work with windows 98 (not having such a BIOS requirement).

The problems you're facing now it's because of age. Motherboards (this is probable the culprit) can die due to multiple causes.

So, you have an explanation and the landscape.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
My i810 chipset story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2004 11:50 PM PDT

Sorry, just a story and no cure I fear.

I just acquired on the cheap a Compaq P3 1.0GHz machine for the office for almost nothing. I set about getting it to be ready for office use and even I was amazed at how difficult it might be for J. Average to get it setup proper.

Microsoft doesn't supply the proper drivers for the Intel chipset which for many chipsets they do OK, but not this one. I am very adept at this issue and struck off to find the motherboard chipset driver package. It was not well labeled, but I did find it at compaq.com (yours may be at HP.COM.)

After that was installed, then the video and audio kicked into proper operation and the power up and down worked flawlessly. Even the usual Standby and Hibernate works. I was impressed.

What I am not impressed with is there is NO document that I can find with the PC or online that tells the enduser about how to do all this.

As to how this applies to you, I read your post twice and read "ACPI Errors in my event log", but you didn't share what the EventID, Source and message was. Also missing is a story like mine about motherboard drivers.

Hope this helps you find a missing piece of the puzzle.

Bob

Collapse -
''FYI''
by Cursorcowboy / July 20, 2004 12:29 AM PDT
Would appreciate any input or any similar circumstances.

1. The article [Q310752] contains a brief overview of power management. Windows supports both Advanced Power Management (APM) and Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) power management.

Note: Advanced Power Management is the legacy power management scheme based on an SMI/SMM (hidden hardware) BIOS approach that was first widely supported in Microsoft Windows. Most of the interesting functionality for APM is in a machine-specific BIOS that is hidden from the operating system and has been superseded by ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) which is the robust scheme for power management and system configuration supported in the Windows 9x and above family of operating systems.

Warning: The article [Q331958] warns that the hard disk may become corrupted when entering either Standby or Hibernation mode since the flush cache command is not issued to a large hard disk that has 48-bit logical block addressing (LBA) enabled. A supported fix is now available from Microsoft but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.

2. The article [Q314088] describes the process used by Windows to enable and install Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) functionality. An ACPI system consists of a series of 10 tables that define which devices are present on the system and what their capabilities are as to configuration and power management that are built by the system BIOS at startup. When the computer starts, the system BIOS looks for specific entries in two of these tables, 1) the Fixed ACPI Description table [FACP] and 2) the Root System Description table [RSDT] to determine whether the system is ACPI-compliant. Information is extracted from these tables in the form of an OEM ID, OEM TABLE ID, OEM REVISION and CREATOR REVISION. If these tables are not present or if the information in those four descriptors is invalid, the system is assumed not to be ACPI-compliant and the legacy hardware abstraction layer (HAL) is installed.

a. If APM was not enabled during the installation of Windows, either the computer's BIOS was on the disable APM list or it is not listed on the auto-enable APM list. Apmstat.exe (a tool included with the Windows Support Tools on the operating system CD) can be used to determine if either is the case. At the command prompt, type pmstat, and then press Enter.

b. If a reports is rendered that an APM BIOS is known to be incompatible or that an APM BIOS is known to have problems, do not attempt to force WinXP Setup to install the APM support. Doing so could cause the computer to behave erratically and even lose data. Also, if it is determined that an APM BIOS is incompatible, make sure the option for APM is disabled in the BIOS.

c. If it is reported that an APM BIOS is not known to be compatible or it is not known to be incompatible, APM might still be used but the user must enable and ensure the configuration of the APM options so that it works properly.

d. To verify that APM support is installed on a computer:

(1) In the Control Panel click Performance, Maintenance, System, Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

(2) On the View menu, click Show hidden devices.

(3) If NT Apm/Legacy Support is listed in the details pane, APM support is installed.

e. To enable APM:

(1) In Control Panel, click Performance Maintenance, Power Options, APM tab.

(2) Under Advanced Power Management, select the Enable Advanced Power Management support check box.

Note: The APM tab is present only if an APM BIOS is detected which is either APM 1.2-compliant or that which might work with APM even if it is not APM 1.2-compliant. It is not recommended that APM support be enabled on a computer that has a BIOS that is not APM-compliant. If problems occur after enabling APM support, disable APM and contact the computer manufacturer for an updated BIOS. In addition, the APM tab is not present if a computer has multiple processors because WinXP does not install APM support on multiprocessor computers.

3. In order to utilize APM power management, configure the APM-based BIOS so that power management works properly. This might involve configuring the APM BIOS in the following way:

a. Set BIOS time-outs to the maximum time or disable them. This allows the operating system (instead of the BIOS) to control time-outs since some APM BIOSs turn off or refuse to function if all time-outs are disabled. Perhaps the time-outs should be set to the maximum allowed time instead of disabled.

b. Turn off screen blanking in the BIOS. Typically to turn off screen blanking in the BIOS, disable the time-out for the display or set the time-out to the maximum value. Screen blanking reduces power to the display which causes the computer to appear to be shut down.

Note: Activating a pointing device typically wakes the system and restores power to the display. However, USB and other external pointing devices may not.

4. The article [Q308535] describes the different Advanced Power Management (APM) states below that apply both to individual computer components and to the computer as a whole:

a. Ready - the computer or device is fully powered up and ready for use. The APM definition of Ready only indicates that the computer or device is fully powered on and it does not differentiate between active and idle conditions.

b. Stand-by - is an intermediate system-dependent state which attempts to conserve power. Stand-by is entered when the central processing unit (CPU) is idle, no device activity is known to have occurred within a specific period of time, and all data and operational parameters are preserved.

c. Suspended - is defined to be the lowest level of power consumption available that preserves operational data and parameters. This state can be initiated by either the system Basic Input Output System (BIOS) which may place a computer into the suspended state without notification if it detects a situation which requires an immediate response such as the battery entering a critically low power state, or the software above the BIOS.

d. Hibernation - saves the complete state of the computer and turns off the power. The computer appears to be off, is the lowest power sleeping state available, and is secure from power outages.

Note: When a computer is in hibernation mode, Windows writes all memory content to the systemdrive\Hiberfil.sys file before shutting down. In order to do this, there must be available drive space equal to or greater than the computer's memory. When the system is regenerated, Ntldr uses firmware calls to locate and use the Hiberfil.sys file and reads that information back into memory and the computer resumes exactly where it left off. If Windows cannot locate the Hiberfil.sys file, it processes the Boot.ini file and proceeds with a normal startup. The Hiberfil.sys file can exist in one of the following forms:

(1) A complete memory image several megabytes in size (equal to the amount of physical memory).

(2) A text file named Hiberfil.sys that uses a slightly modified ARC format pointing to the boot partition of the last hibernated operating system. That boot partition contains the actual Hiberfil.sys file, which is a full memory image of the hibernating operating system.

Note: In either case, Ntldr locates and reads the Hiberfil.sys memory image and continues without displaying the Boot.ini startup menu.

Warning: Because Windows tries to honor the BIOS request under all circumstances, the system might attempt to go into standby or hibernation at a time when the computer is not actually idle. To avoid such problems if using AMP, set the BIOS inactivity thresholds to their highest possible values or disable them altogether (On some systems, APM will not work if the BIOS power-reduction thresholds are disabled).

5. In order to use the ACPI Power Management features in Windows XP, a computer must have a compatible ACPI-compliant BIOS and if it does, an ACPI Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) is installed which allows the use of ACPI power management features. If the computer does not have an ACPI-compliant BIOS, a non-ACPI HAL is installed and ACPI power management features are not available. In order to determine which HAL to install, Windows XP performs the following process during setup:

Note: The HAL directs information from the operating system and device drivers to specific devices.

a. Windows checks the ACPI BIOS tables during startup and if a device is found in the table list, its power management capabilities are installed. If this information is missing or if the information is in the wrong form, a non-ACPI HAL is installed.

b. If the tables are correct, Setup determines whether the computer's BIOS is known to be incompatible with the ACPI standard. What generally happens is:

(1) If the BIOS is on the incompatible list, a non-ACPI HAL is installed.

(2) If the BIOS is not on the incompatible BIOS list, Setup checks the BIOS date.

(3) If the BIOS is not on the incompatible BIOS list and the BIOS date is later than 1/1/99, an ACPI HAL is installed.

(4) If the BIOS is not on the incompatible BIOS list and the BIOS date is earlier than 1/1/99, Setup determines if the BIOS is known to be compatible with Windows.

(5) If the BIOS is compatible, an ACPI HAL is installed.

(6) If the BIOS is not compatible, an earlier HAL is installed.

c. To determine whether Windows is running in ACPI mode:

(1) In the Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, System and in the System Properties (click to see an example screenshot) dialog box, click the Hardware tab.

(2) Click Device Manager and in the details pane, click Computer (Click to see an example screenshot). If Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC is listed, ACPI is alive and well.

(3) To determine whether the computer supports hibernate and standby features:

a. Click Start, Run, type powercfg.cpl, and then press Enter, or click Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, Power Options.

Note: If the Standby and Hibernate options are not present, the computer does not support these features.

b. In the Power Options Properties dialog box, verify that a Hibernate tab exists. If present, select the Hibernate tab, check the Enable hibernation box, and click Apply.

c. In the Power Options Properties dialog box, verify that an Advanced tab exists. If present, verify that Standby and Hibernate are selectable options in the Power buttons drop down lists.

6. To generally determine the type of HAL used (Start, Control Panel, System and on the Hardware tab, click Device Manager) view the listing under Computer for the system description and the associated HAL. For example:

ACPI Multiprocessor PC = Halmacpi.dll
ACPI Uniprocessor PC = Halacpi.dll
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC = Halacpi.dll
MPS Multiprocessor PC = Halmps.dll
MPS Uniprocessor PC = Halapic.dll
Standard PC = Hal.dll
Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible = Halsp.dll

Note: If a system has an ACPI BIOS but Windows is not installed in ACPI mode, the ACPI BIOS might be noncompliant. Check with the computer manufacturer to see if a more recent ACPI-compatible BIOS is available for installation. If Windows is installed in non-ACPI mode and an upgrade is available and subsequently installed, Windows must be reinstalled to enable its functions.

7. OnNow capabilities are only possible when the operating system controls power management across the entire PC system because it is the only one that can know system parameters and states that applications and BIOS cannot know, such as:

Thermal zone conditions
Stop Clock throttling
Processor power performance capabilities and states
The sudden appearance of new devices that cause power demands or that indicate a user?s intention to begin certain tasks
System states that need to be saved before the PC can safely go to sleep

a. To the user, the computer is either on or off, and other conditions are not visible. However, the ACPI specification defines a number of different power states that are supported by Windows operating systems. Each device in the system must implement power management in its driver and as required for the bus that it uses to attach to the system. Each bus and each device class has a specification for how power management is to be enabled, and that defines the degree to which the device can participate in system-wide power management.

b. All driver sample and driver models for WinXP implement power management support, without the driver developer having to apply special concern for the details of power control, and the Windows driver support provides an interface for drivers to perform power management functions, such as:

Get a device?s power-related capabilities
Query, set, or get a device?s power state
Enable a device to wake the system
Get battery status

8. BIOS Setup - for PCs designed to run WinXP:

a. The default BIOS settings should be:

Video Re-POST disabled
HD Reset disabled
S3 enabled

b. Optimize your BIOS code for S3 Resume:

Do not include code that overlaps Windows
The S3 path in the BIOS should not look like an APM resume path

c. Implement the Simple Boot Specification.

d. Chip Support. Take advantage of CPU and chipset power management features:

Get register-specific information from your vendors
Ensure proper register programming
Ensure correct ACPI reporting
Probe boards to ensure they are working

e. Design for Fast Resume. The recommended performance guidelines for a consumer PC running WinXP are:

Boot to a useable state in a total of 30 seconds
Resume from Hibernate (S4) in a total of 20 seconds
Resume from Standby (S3) in a total of 5 seconds

9. Issues are explained in the article "Unable to Use Power Management Features (Q302414)" when using one or more device drivers that do not implement power management functionality correctly because they are not Plug and Play or power management enabled. This article does not elaborate other than for a user to ascertain what interferes and to either update it or quit used programs before implementing the power management feature.

a. The article [Q308549] explains that the System Information tool (Msinfo32.exe) gathers information about your computer, devices installed or device drivers that are loaded, and provides a menu for displaying the associated system topics. It also provides access to tools you can use for troubleshooting your computer.

b. The article [Q307970] is a step-by-step article that describes how you can configure devices by using Device Manager.

c. "DevCon" is a Command Line utility that can be downloaded and acts as an alternative to Device Manager. It allows a user to enable, disable, restart, update, remove, and query individual devices or groups of devices and provides information relevant to the developer.

10. Supplemental Reading:

a. "HOW TO: Specify a Specific or Third-Party HAL During Windows Setup (Q216251)" -- covered in a Win2000 article
"Troubleshooting Text-Mode Setup Problems on ACPI Computers (Q224826)."

b. "Some Power Management Settings Do Not Migrate During Upgrade to Windows XP (Q282788)."

c. "ACPI BIOS Is Attempting to Write to Illegal IO Port Address (0x80, 0x400, 0xcf8, 0xcfc) (Q283649)."

d. "It Is Now Safe to Turn the Machine Off" Message When You Try to Hibernate Your Computer (Q298884)."

e. "The Computer Cannot Enter Standby or Hibernate If a Direct3D-Based Screen Saver Is Running (Q306676)."

f. "Windows XP and Advanced Power Management (APM) Support (Q307525)."

g. "Computer Does Not Enter Standby Mode If Power Options Profile Is Set to Standby After 45 or More Minutes (Q310601)."

h. "Your Computer May Not Shut Down After You Upgrade to Windows XP (Q313290)."

i. "A General Description of IRQ Sharing in Windows XP (Q314068)."

j. "Unable to Change Resource Settings in Windows XP Device Manager (Q315278)."

k. "Returning from Hibernation Sets the Inactivity Timer to Five Minutes (Q318355)."

l. "Hibernation Problem on Computers with 1 GB of RAM (Q330909)."

Note: After a computer returns (or "wakes up") from hibernation, it may enter hibernation again after five minutes of inactivity regardless of the settings configured in the Power Options tool in Control Panel.

11. Note what the article [Q306458] states:

"Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) offers PowerNow! technology on AMD mobile Athlon 4 and mobile Duron processors and Windows XP the additional driver (the Amdk7.sys driver) to enable the AMD PowerNow! functionality.".
Collapse -
But do the errors indicate more problems to come?
by Angela / July 20, 2004 12:28 PM PDT

Thanks Cetin, Rob and Cursorcowboy

The link below will take you to some of my history with troubleshooting this machine and I believe before I took the problem to the HP forum I did also post here a number of times.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/pageList.do?userId=CA1032945&listType=question&forumId=2

The error is ACPI 4 and ACPI 5 which is the BIOS attempting to write to illegal ports in the 76ish range which was to do with the CMOS.

There is no BIOS upgrade available for the machine and I have no way of disabling ACPI because I only have recovery disks not full Microsoft disks.

Other HP models have also got the ACPI errors and have failed mobos/prcoessor and/or power supplies at 18 months. 1 particular model is now being repaired or replaced out of warranty because of the shear numbers which have failed in this time frame.

I am looking for a connection I guess, and apart from the mobos being of the TriGem type and the purchase dates of the machines being around Christmas 2001 and of course the ACPI errors and Win XP, I have found no further similarities between them.

Cursorcowboy, your post was very detailed and I think a little fragmented, I really didn't make a lot of sense of it but certainly appreciate the wealth of information you have provided (which I will read agin to get a better grasp) although I don't know how relevant it is since the ACPI has certainly installed on my machine and is conflicting with my BIOS as I am getting the Errors to indicate that the BIOS is trying to write to a port which is handled by the ACPI.

Many thanks
Cheers
Angela

Collapse -
Re: But do the errors indicate more problems to come?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2004 10:02 PM PDT

That error does NOT lead to failed CPUs and power supplies. My answer is direct since my background is in the field of what is called Embedded Control.

Let's be clear that HP may never fix the issue if, as delivered the system worked without evident failure. That is, it shutdown, started up and the functions worked. They will NOT and NEVER give people help just because there are events in the Event Viewer without a direct failure when the machine is delivered.

If you didn't get it fixed (remember that an Event in the Event Viewer is NOT a failure) under warranty, then they are off the hook.

They are also off the hook if subsequent OS changes cause shutdown or startup issues.

----------------

Sorry to point that out, but it's needed so we get the concept onto the table.

----------------

What I could do at the Office is to roll the machine back to Windows 2000 since it doesn't have the need to as spiffy or correct a BIOS. But since I'm not there, I can't doublecheck your work as to motherboard support drivers, and if any PARASITE is making your life difficult.

There is no do-this cure. There was a warranty and this may be a story about it not being used.

There is also the issue that some of the HP's are listed as no support for Windows XP. And some of the Cognac boards are noted there. Many disregard such warnings. What can be done about that?

Bob

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / July 20, 2004 11:39 PM PDT
Cursorcowboy, your post was very detailed and I think a little fragmented, I really didn't make a lot of sense of it but certainly appreciate the wealth of information you have provided (which I will read agin to get a better grasp) although I don't know how relevant it is since the ACPI has certainly installed on my machine and is conflicting with my BIOS as I am getting the Errors to indicate that the BIOS is trying to write to a port which is handled by the ACPI.

Sorry. Perhaps it's time to try simply installing the Windows HAL without ACPI support altogether which the BIOS supposedly doesn't support.
Collapse -
by Cetin Denislam / July 20, 2004 11:48 PM PDT

Angela,

I see that you faught for almost a year with this problem.

AFAIK, HP guys show rarely on these Forums. Just for my curiosity, did any of them reply in your posted threads there ?

Regarding the fact that they hide the truth, it's either incompetence or a minimizing the service costs loss (although now it's out of warranty).

Now, let's recap. You bought a brand name model which proved to be equipped with cheap and outdated components. The techs were unable to provide a BIOS update that should've solved the ACPI errors. Their position was that those errors doesn't matter. In fact it matters because it's a disruption, so the answer it's unacceptable.

>> I am looking for a connection I guess, and apart from the mobos being of the TriGem type and the purchase dates of the machines being around Christmas 2001 and of course the ACPI errors and Win XP, I have found no further similarities between them.<<

The connection exists. Same motherboard manufacturer that didn't provide BIOS updates.

>> There is no BIOS upgrade available for the machine and I have no way of disabling ACPI because I only have recovery disks not full Microsoft disks. <<

As I said, with that faulty BIOS you can use it with windows 98. However, because yours was delivered with windows XP, it should be provided a solution for it.

I don't know who induced you the idea that a new installation can't be done with ACPI disabled using the delivered disks. I think that at least those tech supports owe you this escape. It is possible. Those recovery disks should have the configuration files.

So, I'd let HP support to give you the solution. Just ask them where you can alter the options for installing a non ACPI HAL and the procedure to fresh install in this context.

Finally, as you've already learned those xyzw models (brand name) are made by standard subcomponents. In fact, you bought a 810 chipset based PC in a normal configuration. Brand name manufacturers hide this important piece of info: the chipset. Why ? For maximizing the profits ?

You are welcome and "Good Luck",

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by Angela / July 21, 2004 8:32 AM PDT

Thanks guys, especially Cetin for giving me something further I can actually do to elliminate ACPI once and for all from the equation.

Rob thanks, but I didn't upgrade to XP the system came with it out of the box and therefore should not have problems running it. The machine is totally pest free, and does not have any thing else wrong with it, it performs great is fast is secure is fully patched and defended; it just attempts to shutdown sporadically and intermitantly which is a real nuisance.

Cursorcowboy, Cetin has instructed I go back to HP for instructions on how I can install from the recovery disk with ACPI disabled and as I don't really understand the HALs and were to find them to remove them safely or add them safely, I think I will again contact HP for assistance. If you could give me clear instructions however it could save me having to do a new install which would save be a whole weekend of adding updates and patches and loading third party software and doing full backups.

Thank you Cetin for reading and comprehending my dilema.

Just as a recap, I am preparing myself now for a replacement motherboard etc... (upgrade kit) as the machine is now nearing 3 years old and unfortunately it will require the cost of replacement OS but I think I will put the HP8903 back into its previous Case and Power Supply and keep as a second internet machine until it comletely dies and run it with Linux or something. I don't have the option of rolling back to Win2000 or such as I do not have a legal copy of the software and don't believe the WinXPHome license covers Win2000 and I definately don't want to go back to Win98SE. In fact I dont think the Grant of use of license which is what you get with OEM Recovery systems allows for use of previous versions full stop.

I will try to check back in let you know how I am going and if I need any further info from you regarding disabling ACPI and what effect it has on the machine.

Your help is greatly appreciated and if I could give you points like the HP forum, you would each have them.

Cheers
Angela

Collapse -
Install [i]Standard PC [/i] ...
by Cetin Denislam / July 21, 2004 9:58 PM PDT

Angela,

The following procedure will install the Standard PC, without needing a new fresh installation.

1. Open Device Manager. Click the + sign under Computer. Right click "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" or "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" (i.e whatever was installed there). Select "Update Driver".

2. Select "Install from a List of Specific Location (Advanced)". Click Next.

3. Select "Don't Search. I will choose a driver to install" option. Click Next.

4. A list options will be presented.

5. Select "Standard PC", click Next, restart PC.

It will take several minutes for detecting the new hardware, and a new Restart will be needed.

Notes

- You can mimic the above procedure, without any changes just for a repeat and for gaining confidence. Perform steps 1 - 4 and see if Standard PC option is there. You can click Cancel button at that screen, so there will be no change.

- Before you'd decide completing all the above steps (1-5), save your data just in case of something going wrong.

- You cannot change back to ACPI. For this, either a in-place repair or a fresh installation should be done.

Finally, the HP guys should tell you what changes should be done in their setup files as well as a detailed installation procedure in order to install a Standard PC by using the supplied restore CDs. It's their duty, although if they were knowledgeable enough they should've told you the above procedure.

You are welcome and "Good Luck",

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: Install [i]Standard PC [/i] ...
by Angela / July 22, 2004 8:44 AM PDT

Thanks Cetin,

I will try this out this weekend or next weekend (more likely next).

I will let you know how I get on. The info is greatly appreciated as I have hunted the internet for a way of safely disabling ACPI on an existing installation for ages now and ACPI returns very little even with Google searches.

I haven't had a chance to contact HP yet but will do so to ensure that all the HP additions will still run fine after disabling. I bet the do though, because I don't recall ever getting the errors until I had to do a complete install of the OS from the supplied recovery disks. I bet it was already disabled when the system was sold but no instructions given for us to disable it again were supplied.

Cheers
Angela

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome. Post back the result, after you'll try
by Cetin Denislam / July 22, 2004 11:25 PM PDT

Collapse -
It Worked !!! :)
by Angela / August 1, 2004 12:47 PM PDT

Hi Cetin

It worked. After spending numerous hours testing and drive imaging and restoring to another hard-drive until I has a restore that booted (had volume info) -just in case everything went wrong, I disabled the ACPI as per your instructions and restarted the computer. It took probably about 1 hour reinstalling drivers for all the hardware and hey presto I have a Windows XP with no ACPI. Guess what NO, NO, NO new ACPI Errors in the event log. I have to manually switch the PC off now once the OS is shutdown but I can live with that.

Time will tell what other features are now nonexistant and hopefully my attempted shutdown problem is fixed - fingers crossed but skeptical.

If anyone has a non-compatible BIOS/Mobo for WinXP and are concerned that the errors will cause instability and maybe system failure, I would recommend this disabling technique so long as you can live with WinXP shutting down and acting a little like 98 in the power management area.

I don't know why HP techies didn't tell me I could do this??? Perhaps I was focusing overly on the actual real problem of the attempted shutdowns and the ACPI was belittled by my insistance that they tell me how to stop the shutdowns.

Thanks Cetin, your a Gem.

Cheers
Angela

Collapse -
You are welcome. Labor omnia vincit ?
by Cetin Denislam / August 1, 2004 8:00 PM PDT
In reply to: It Worked !!! :)

Good preparation work, well handled and a happy end award, Angela. At least you can work now almost normally on that PC.

Sometimes the tech supports are unresponsive and unknowledgeable. This is a difference between an open Forum (BTW CNET's) where everyone sees an answer versus a backdoor support where you don't know whom are you asking and you really don't know his skills.

Thanks for the kind words and Feedback,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: It Worked !!! :) But still faulty
by Angela / September 8, 2004 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: It Worked !!! :)

The disabling worked however the PC is still attempting shutdown. I am now running Linux on this PC for the time being and it still attempts shutdown, sp if ACPI initially instigated my problem it is evident that the hardware is faulty somewhere.

I am currently going down the line of disabling my onboard video and installing a PCI video card to rule out the onboard video and possibly the HP modified 810 chipset. Will keep you all informed as to my progress or disasters.

Cheers
Angela

Collapse -
Re: ACPI Errors - what is the danger?
by hotlift / September 3, 2004 6:34 AM PDT

I have a Compaq sr1030nx. Running widows XP hOme edition. It hangs when I try and shut it down 99% of the time. As you asked for names.... "have started a petition on the HP forum for people with similar ACPI Errors and incompatible BIOS where the machine was supplied with XP, but so far have only received a handfull of names and only 3 models so far confirmed to be effected all with varying apparent hardware problems similar to mine". Put my name on it. I have tried everything except rebooting from the begining. vince l Moser

Collapse -
Re: ACPI Errors - PETITION
by Angela / September 8, 2004 12:38 PM PDT

Hi Vince

Send me an email to temp 20040409 @ optusnet .com .au

remove the spaces from the email above before sending. I change this email address periodically to avoid spam, so if anyone else would like to be added to the petition at a later date and the email address doesn't work, please post here and I will provide an updated address.

Please let me know the make/model/chipset/motherboard/purchase date approx/first related problem date approx/oem os (ie winXP?)/troubleshooting already carried out/current condition of pc

your name to be provide on petition and your contact details which I will keep confident and not include on petition.

Many thanks
Angela

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!