Mac Desktops forum

Question

ACl file issues!

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I had a G5 running Leopard with bad logic board. Before it decided not to restart after a RAM upgrade, the primary drive hard drive had ACL file issues which caused file permissions to run a long time and never fixed them. Verify disk was never an issue. I replaced the G5 with an older G4. I put the primary drive in and used a Leopard upgrade disk, upgraded the firmware and used Software Update to do the rest. I restored the data from an external drive using TimeMachine. All worked well thankfully but a part of the list of the ACL file issues returned which I imagine was on the backup copy. How do I get rid of the rest of these file issues? Most say: <span id="INSERTION_MARKER">ACL found but not expected on 1) System library 2) Library 3) Applications/Utilities 4) Applicatons. While I was typing this, an error message appeared for the first time, that there are three bad fonts: fontfile/Library/Fonts/"the name of the font". But I don't think it relevant. I'll delete or reinstall them. Please help. <div>Dr. Joe
</div>

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ACl file issues!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ACl file issues!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
ACL Warnings, not errors, can be safely ignored.

In reply to: ACl file issues!

Collapse -
Can the cause of the warning be resolved?

In reply to: ACL Warnings, not errors, can be safely ignored.

I'd like to resolve it so file permissions runs a shorter time and any internal confusion is removed especially with one processor and less RAM. Thanks though. It's good to no there is no safety issue. What caused the issue in the first place? Anyone know. This ACL file stuff seems very obtuse.

Collapse -
And unfortunately

In reply to: Can the cause of the warning be resolved?

And unfortunately, any explanation of ACLs, and permissions in general, is likely to be either so simplistic it isn't of a lot of help, or equally obtuse. If someone gave you the whole answer, you'd probably be thinking to yourself that you want that 10 minutes of your life back.

Not sure why it is people think they need to run the repair permissions operation so regularly. Guess it comes from Windows converts who just can't bring themselves to believe that they don't need to perform all kinds of superstitious rituals to maintain a system in good working order. The whole thing reminds me of the basic story behind the Warhammer 40,000 series of books. Humanity has entered something of a technological dark age, and people think that in order to maintain the technology they have, a number of prayers must be spoken, specific incense burned, and various other rituals performed. All to appease the machine spirit that lives inside the device. Compare that to people who think they need to run disk defragmenters and a whole host of other programs on a routine basis, and it's hard not to see some striking parallels.

You don't need to be running the repair permission thing unless there's some sort of a problem. OS X (and Windows too, just to be fair) has a number of regular maintenance programs that all run, automatically, in the background. You don't tend to need to do anything. So just sit back, and relax. You're making a far bigger deal out of this than it actually is.

Collapse -
Anyone have any incense?

In reply to: And unfortunately

The permissions used to run without showing these kind of errors. Whatever it found, it fixed. Now I just get something saying it's not where it's expected. That tells me it ain't working right. I like to take care of issues before they become problems or failures due to my lack of attention. And yes, everytime I use my pc's I have to do 5-6 programs to make sure the malware and all isn't causing trouble which it constantly does even with top grade antivirus software. So, I'd like to know how to get rid of the machine's dilemna with where it is and where it should be. I'm not angry just frustrated. I'm not good at ignoring the warning light in the car either!
LOL

Collapse -
There isn't one

In reply to: Anyone have any incense?

There isn't one. What you're seeing is the equivalent of the program saying, "That's interesting." What you're seeing aren't really errors, it's just the program pointing out that it wasn't expecting to find those there. It'd be like someone adding an air scoop to a Toyota Camry, then taking it to a mechanic. They might marvel at someone adding an air scoop to such a car, but since it's in for maybe slipping gears every now and then, it's just unexpected rather than a problem.

You need to ease up on the OCD a little though, at least with your Mac. Repairing permissions is really kind of a misnomer of a name, but when you have to condense it down to what you can reasonably fit on a button like that... You are thinking it does way more than it actually does, and at least I can't think up any way to adequately explain it without first getting into a bit of basic filesystem theory so you can understand your basic Unix permissions system. That alone could almost be a semester long class at a college.

So I'll just reiterate that you're assuming way more is happening with Disk Utility than is actually happening. Repairing permissions isn't something that can be preventative. If permissions get screwed up, they get screwed up, and it's actually pretty rare for them to get screwed up, but it's also not like it's a creeping phenomenon. If you don't run a permissions repair this week, it's not like any problems will spread. Or if you fix a bunch of little issues now, they won't become bigger issues later. That's not how computers work, software wise anyway. For that to happen, there would have to be an underlying hardware issue, which you're only going to manage for a short time, in the best of circumstances, with software.

Collapse -
OK

In reply to: There isn't one

I get it now. It's just that it takes a really long time to do the permissions where on other drives it's a snap so I suspected that something is really doing wrong. Like a few minutes ago I tried to run TimeMachine backup and it would start and almost immediately stop. I erased the backup drive with Disk Utility and am manually copying the primary drive files to it. Then I'll figure out why all of a sudden after the reinstall it won't work. When I see error messages and things stop working, I figure it's important or causally related. No? And yes, in my line of work OCD is necessary. Hehehehehe.

Collapse -
Answer
"That's interesting"

In reply to: ACl file issues!

When I read this I thought of something I coded into my app years ago.

As my app checked this and that then the other thing if it never found a valid combination I had it show a dialog box with a "You should never see this. Please report to _____."

After 5 years they finally got a report about that and it was really interesting what caused it. But only interesting that it took years for someone to try using this app on the wrong product. In the end it was easy to fix since they only needed to plug it into the right gear.
Go figure?
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!