General discussion

acess secured websites esecially hotmail tried 870700

hi
i have a dial up connection and when i try to dial out and connect to internet every thing is woking fine

if disconnect and redial i can acess the webpages but not the especially secured webpages particularly hotmail.i have netscape communicator which does have this iisue

i have followe the article 870700 and this did not help me either
so i have restart the computer and then connect to internet to access my emails in hotmail when i try to open hotmail i get page cannot be displayed

however i can open microsoft which is also secured website
can any tell me why

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: acess secured websites esecially hotmail tried 870700
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: acess secured websites esecially hotmail tried 870700
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Can you clarify

Hi Gopinath,

Can you clarify what this article 870700 is?

Also what version Netscape are you using? You could try Firefox from http://www.mozilla.com

Does this problem only happen if your dial-up connection is disconnected then you re-connect? If so, what happens if you close the browser down, then re-start the browser and try to access the secure site?

Mark

- Collapse -
it is an mskb article in support.microsoft.com

on how to trouble shoot secured webpages

this happens only with internet explorer
i have mozilla aswell and i can reconnect and browse in mozilla or netscape but not with IE especially hotmail

i u can fix my issue with hotmail it is enough for me

the connection does not go awaysuddenly, as long as i wish i can browse any website but once i disconnect and then dial up i can still browse unsecured websites and even microsoft which is secured one, i suppose, but cannot access hotmail,yahoo.i can go to the homepage but if i enter my id and password i get page cannot be displayed
if i close the browser and open another window to access hotmail i can still acces hotmail in that new window however if i disconnect and reconnect this is where problem starts and i have restart to access hotmail

hope i cleared all your questions

thank you
mark

- Collapse -
I'm still not absolutely sure of the problem

Hi again Gopinath,

In your last post you said this only happens with Internet Explorer, but in your first post you said the problem was with Netscape Communicator, so I am not sure you are identifying the problem for us.

But I think there are 2 clues;

1] You are in a secure site, (eg Hotmail secure site), and
2] You lose, (or you disconnect), your ISP connection.

When you re-connect, you cannot "continue" surfing through your hotmail account with whatever browser you had open at the time.

It seems to me that when you are in a secure site and the connection goes down, when you get the connection back up again something has been lost from the secure site, and so you cannot continue surfing. I am sure this is a security feature to stop anyone else accessing your account by forcing your connection to shut down and replacing it with theirs whilst the page is still open. It could be something like a cookie which is for the "current session" only, and if the connection is lost, the session ends.

The solution is to close the browser down, and either re-open the same browser, or open another browser, and log back onto your hotmail account.

Unless you are having other problems with IE I don't see that this is really a problem, just a security feature.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info