Windows Vista forum

General discussion

ACER vista installation problem

by nurcapkan / September 22, 2008 7:40 PM PDT

I have to reinstall Vista or XP_ to my ACER 9520 laptop but erecovery managemnet does not work and the dvd driver also does not work. I could not find any solution anyone have an idea? I cannot open even in safe mode.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ACER vista installation problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ACER vista installation problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you mean the DVD drive?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2008 10:02 PM PDT

I just restored a few acers over the last month. I had the DVDs created from eRecovery so I put the first disk in and booted from that (I had the stock BIOS settings where it boots from the DVD drive.) It installed just fine.

If you have failed hardware you'll have to fix that first as that must work to install Vista.

Collapse -
From Vista to XP without reformatting?
by Jaynanny2 / September 26, 2008 5:18 AM PDT

If I clean my hard drive with a Duplicator program of all of Vista's operating system can I then install Windows XP OS without deleting all my other applications/programs.
I have:
Dell Inspiron 531
AMD64x2 dual
Memory2.00 GB
Available 660MBSystem Type X86
288.04 GB
512 Bytes/Sector
3 Partions
Thanks for any help rec. with deep appreication, Jean in TN

Collapse -
No. That won't work.
by Kees Bakker / September 26, 2008 5:22 AM PDT

You'll have to start ALL over.

Collapse -
Well, jeanswaf?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2008 7:07 AM PDT

Posting your email in the clear just collects more spam.

But the answer is no. To date there are 2 ways to install XP. So far I've had the best luck using the one out of Redmond.

Collapse -
It might be possible, but no...
by nexionsd / September 26, 2008 9:47 AM PDT

Yes, vista wont taint programs installed in Program Files, but you will have to kill a few directories that windows installs there. Killing the OS directory is also required, but before you do this process you have to copy your data out of the user directories. They have extensive permissions attached that will no longer be linked to a particular account and could be protected from Admin. Now with all that done, if any of those installed programs put DLLs into the OS folder you have to copy those out as well. Next some apps require entries in the registry. You'll have to copy those values out (hellish) or simply reinstall the programs. This could take more then a day to do.

Alternatively you can copy off your data on to a USB disk. Reformat the drive, install the OS, install the applications and copy your data back all in a few hours typically.

Really, you have to be highly motivated to do what you want, and even then you should expect issues.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?