Question

Acer Nitro 5 NH.Q2RAA.011 15.6-inch Notebook - Any Thoughts

Looking for a new laptop and based on some feedback on an HP laptop I was looking at previously on this forum I would love some feedback on this unit. Retail $999 Canadian. I mostly use Microsoft office, occasionally watch a movie and the only game I play when time permits is MS Flight Sim. Any thoughts on this laptop? Gaming is pretty far down on my wish list due to time constraints however would not mind to have the ability to occasionally play a flight sim. Digital Combat Simulator World (DCS World) is another game I may decide to purchase if the laptop could handle it however it would not ultimately make or break the decision making process if it could not handle that sim

Acer Nitro 5 NH.Q2RAA.011 15.6-inch Notebook.

15.6-inch LCD display with 1920 x 1080 screen resolution
2.8 GHz Intel i7 Intel Core i7-7700HQ processor (6 MB cache)
8 GB DDR4 SDRAM system memory
256 GB Solid State Drive storage
Windows 10 Home operating system pre-installed
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 graphics
LAN Network, WiFi, Bluetooth connectivity
Ports: 1 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0, HDMI, Headphone-out, Mic-in, RJ-45, Headphone/Microphone-combo
4-Cell Lithium-ion battery with Up to 8.5 hours run time
Dimensions: 15.35" x 10.47" x 1.05", 5.49 lb

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: Acer Nitro 5 NH.Q2RAA.011 15.6-inch Notebook - Any Thoughts
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Acer Nitro 5 NH.Q2RAA.011 15.6-inch Notebook - Any Thoughts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I'd shop till I drop.

While this is a big step up in the gaming capability it's just the 1050 and not the 1050 Ti plus https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-256gb-solid-state-drive-black/6212602.p?skuId=6212602&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=437&ref=212&loc=DWA&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqs3rBRCdARIsADe1pfRpUbrYnOiHUmm75acHEWnsKZao2_TuNVXO6sJLzqIlkDh_gznflBAaAveXEALw_wcB shows it's just 599.99USD here.

Or 791CDN today. Someone is getting 200 CDN LOONIES more for what looks to be a step down. It's not a big step down but after a lot of minor complaints about the 1050 my take is the minimum has to be the 1050 Ti (mobile.)

- Collapse -
Acer Nitro 5 NH.Q2RAA.011 15.6-inch Notebook - Any Thoughts

The one I was looking at had a 2.8 GHz Intel i7 Intel Core i7-7700HQ processor (6 MB cache) versus the one you would recommend having a 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-8300H mobile processor. I believe the I7 is better than an I5 however would I notice the difference as an average user and it does appear we are getting ripped off here in Canada with pricing

- Collapse -
My mistake.

The i7 is closer to the 999USD price here.

If you can find one with the 1050 Ti and the i7 and your price that's doing well for your area. BTW, I lived in Vancouver BC for 8 years and would have to make a run south for such things.

CNET Forums

Forum Info