Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Acer Netbook wont connect to my wifi

by jaye63 / February 9, 2012 12:38 PM PST

I have Netgear WGR614V9 router w/current firmware update, New Acer Netbook Aspire One D257-1417 That wont connect to my router. Worked fine at the library on their wifi and hard wired to my router but not wifi. Installed all client, service and protocols on the adapter, set the router to open, have the netbook set to auto and not static, got the drivers for the wfif adapter from ACER while at the library. Shut off windows firewall and turned off AV. Tech saavy so dont worry about dumming down.

jaye63 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Netbook wont connect to my wifi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Netbook wont connect to my wifi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by jaye63

Collapse -
FIXED!!!
by jaye63 / February 13, 2012 8:22 AM PST

Figured it out and I feel like a moron. The router has a feature called *User access control* and it was turned on. As soon as I turned it off, BOOM! access.

Thank you for all of your help.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: won't connect to WiFi
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 6:46 PM PST

If it connects to WiFi in the library everythings seems fine with the netbook. The next experiment: try something else (any other laptop) with your router.

Kees

Collapse -
wont connect to wifi
by jaye63 / February 9, 2012 10:58 PM PST

forgot to mention I have a Toshiba laptop with XP that connects to the wifi just fine

Collapse -
There's a lot to cover.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2012 12:24 AM PST
In reply to: wont connect to wifi

1. What channel is the wifi router on?

2. What settings does the wifi router use?
(WEP, WPA, WPA2, MAC filters?)

Collapse -
said in OP
by jaye63 / February 10, 2012 1:27 AM PST

"set the router to open", so none.

I did try swithing security protocols and that didn't work. Went through all of them. I'm beginning to wonder if it isnt a windows7 starter issue.

Collapse -
No channel?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 10, 2012 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: said in OP

That's strange.

Kees

Collapse -
oh and...
by jaye63 / February 10, 2012 1:28 AM PST

power cycled both the modem and router.

Collapse -
(NT) I can wait for the answers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2012 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: oh and...
Collapse -
interesting...
by jaye63 / February 10, 2012 7:17 AM PST

just noticed that the service *wireless zero configuration* is missing. going to see if i can resolve this

Collapse -
That can be optional.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2012 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: interesting...

Varies with the model.

Why I asked for the RF WIFI CHANNEL is that we were stumped on a client for awhile. Finally we looked at the channels and for some reason the router was on the Euro channels. This created all sorts of issues such as odd connections at 5 foot or less only to sometimes it worked. It was something of a mystery why the router was set that way but as soon as we corrected that, it worked.

That's we we ask.
Bob

Collapse -
to bob
by jaye63 / February 10, 2012 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: That can be optional.

That could have been the issue but I have a Toshiba with xp32 that is connecting just fine. But way to think outside the box Bob

Collapse -
And again why we ask.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2012 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: to bob

The XP32 could be set to use Euro channels.

Unless we check such things along with settings, you may find folk will think you are not working with the volunteers.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Tell the forum the settings used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2012 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: And again why we ask.

It will speed this up.

Collapse -
checked-
by jaye63 / February 10, 2012 7:48 AM PST

not on euro channels

Collapse -
Sorry but this is taking too many tries.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2012 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: checked-

Let's hope it's not the usual but after this many attempts to get answers to settings and more, let's call the netbook defective and return it.
Bob

Collapse -
ung-
by jaye63 / February 10, 2012 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: checked-

called acer- they said to do factory restore and call them back if it persists. Will let y'all know if it works

Collapse -
bummer
by jaye63 / February 10, 2012 10:04 AM PST

factory restore didnt work- square one.

Collapse -
If you want to try again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2012 11:47 AM PST
In reply to: bummer

Supply some detail about the router settings, channel, SSID hidden, not, MAC filters, encryption.

Collapse -
router
by jaye63 / February 10, 2012 10:49 PM PST

security i set to none for the sake of simplicity
SSID is the brand name of the router (NETGEAR)
IP and DNS set to auto
Mac is set to default

Collapse -
With no security it's possible someone is spoofing the MAC
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2012 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: router

This would result in such a connection error. Yes the router and laptop could have issues but we haven't done our best yet.

Over in the CNET Networking forum we've discussed this many times. So in short, given the length of this discussion, I'd try AGAIN to find the RF CHANNEL (I can't find it so far) and then.

1. Tell the forum that RF Channel and Firmware rev of the router. Sometimes newest has issues and as a volunteer I ask you to do some work for me.

2. Try it the CNET Network forum way. Router defaults. Change the SSID to simple, short, a-z, A-Z and 0-9. Do not get fancy. Change what the ISP asks for, move immediately to WPA2 AES/Personal and re-try it.

Unless the machine is XP (original) I rarely have an issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Things that CAN connect to the router
by jaye63 / February 10, 2012 11:16 PM PST

Toshiba Satellite Pro w/XP32
PS3
Wii
Neighbors leeching! (put that in for humor)
Nephew's PsP

No AV or firewall on the Acer. Is there a protocol/client/service for the adapter that would interfere?
Is there a service in services I need to turn off/on that might not be (unusual ones that would be missed)?

Router is set to b and g
Acer has n

*Note - found out that WZC was changed to WLAN

Collapse -
Answer
Check out what someone else did to fix it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2012 2:17 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?