Computer Help forum

General discussion

Acer netbook screen problem - buttons sometimes not visible

by adrienne50 / February 5, 2010 10:47 AM PST

I was very interested in a post about panning on a netbook desktop. I love my little Acer Aspire One refurb. The old tag on the computer says ZG5, but the papers say ADA150-1987 Atom 1.6, so I assume they replaced the mother board. It came with XP Home already installed, and I've managed to figure out how to install most of the programs I'd want on the road - mostly because I have older versions that don't require high screen resolutions.

I thought I'd licked everything, but buttons in popup windows (especially for program installation) sometimes fall below the bottom of the screen. I can blindly hit the tab button and return until it gets the right one, but if there's a check box or something I need to read, it's all over. I can't get to it. This seems like a problem that will reoccur in time.

My Acer has only resolution of either 1024x600 or 800x600, and I didn't understand how to change that from the Sept 2009 post on Cnet (R. Profitt). I called Acer, but the guy said it couldn't be done. I've heard that song before. Perhaps there's someone here (even with an Acer) who knows more.

Many thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer netbook screen problem - buttons sometimes not visible
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer netbook screen problem - buttons sometimes not visible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
STEP BY STEP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2010 11:06 AM PST

Let me boot up my Acer AOA 1690-1447.

1. Right click on the desktop, Properties.
2. Click Settings, then Advanced.
3. Click Monitor and uncheck the Hide modes that this monitor cannot display.
4. Click OK.
5. Advanced closes and now you can change the Screen resolution up to 1920 by 1080 pixels.

Easy as pi.

This works for about 99% of other machines I use. Seems a shame tech support out this is not so good.

Bob

Collapse -
This is great!
by adrienne50 / February 5, 2010 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: STEP BY STEP.

Did I say lately, that you are the best?

My husband is pretty computer nerdy, and recently he said he was impressed that I've been able to work so many things out on my own. LOL It's not me, but Cnet. We are no longer chained in the basement of computer illiteracy. I think, if I were being charitable, that the only way that computer sellers can afford to keep prices down and offer customer support is to hire anyone off the street and hand them a response sheet. If it's not on there (well, you're right, it should be), they can't tell you. That's why I don't feel at all guilty about looking for the best deal, using workarounds to get the best performance.

I imagine that this fix also gets rid of the problem of installing newer programs that require a certain resolution. I looked at the option you mentioned, but I wasn't sure what it would do, and it gave such a foreboding warning about possibly damaging the computer, that I didn't click it. Silly me. Is there any reason that you could mess up your computer with these settings?

Now my little book can finally do just about everything!

Thanks very much Bob.

Collapse -
You're welcome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: This is great!

Sorry that I didn't have the exact steps handy last time. My netbook was not available at the time I wrote this.

Now that I have this I'll post it in the Netbook forum under a tips post.

Thanks for applying yourself to stay out of the basement.
Bob

PS. Kind words are always appreciated.

Collapse -
Thank YOU!
by offerPop6299451 / August 10, 2013 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: STEP BY STEP.

I was going nuts trying to install software drivers!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!